Default Sorry for bashing the silver car with wing

Its still a cool car, keep posting.

Popular Reply

11-29-2017, 07:19 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader One
The same happened many moons ago to the C4 platform. Everything was fine and dandy until some guy put a big azz spoiler on his street car/non-race only C4 and from there it all went downhill. From that point forward the C4 began getting dissed and all street driven non dedicated race car C1, C2 and C3 owners lost all respect for the C4. Have you ever seen a C1 - C3 with a big azz spoiler bolted to their dedicated street legal Vette? Nope and there is a reason for it. I hope this downward spiral doesn’t start for the C5 now.

To each their own I guess.
Let's examine this, shall we? The C4 occupies an unusal place in Corvette heritage, being as that it seperates the modern renditions, from the old guard; not only in design, but price, availability, and desirability as well. The old ones are worth the money because they represent a snapshot in history of the General's engineering prowess in the rapidly changing post war technology boom. However, the C4 lacked that necessary ground up undertaking that they saved for the C5. Unfortunately for the poor C4, it was under performing, uninspired by comparison, and lacked a lot of character that the other models possess. Because of that, it does not enjoy the radical following that the Gen 1-3 have, or the place in competetive sport history since GM didn't begin fielding advanced models in LeMans until the C5R. It's rather like the redheaded step child of the Corvette world for lack of better terminology.

So there never really has been a lot of love for the C4 anyways, so I can understand why people that put 50k to 150k PLUS (and that can be a biiiiiiig plus) into their restorations, dislike fielding their cars with Joe blow's $3200.oo Carsmart special

Now, the reasons behind why you never see wings/aero on gen 1-3 cars, are because A.) They all have famously truckish coefficient of drag numbers, B.) They aren't competetive in any classic racing suite, and any one they might compete in strictly prohibit such modifcations for competition, C.) The Gen 1-3 cars tend to be too valuable to do that sort of thing to. You restore a vintage Corvette, not turn it into a track rat (although I'm sure there are a very select few that do). I think you'll find the Corvette purist community to be as tenacious as the Porsche purists as well, so you have a lot of people that are going to be PARTICULARLY upset by big modifications like a wing.

Now, here's the kicker...mine is NOT a dedicated street car; I actually track mine so I have use for it. Infact, I am turning my C5 into a NASA spec car, so it will not be street driven at all for very much longer. Purpose built The wing I bought is used extensively in TT2, ST2, GTS, and all manner of racing competencies in between. There are a LOT of them out there already, so I doubt I'm ruining the C5 for anyone.

I agree that adding a wing for "the look" is kinda lame, but it is a necessity for the level of competition I aim to field my car against. Do I need it right now? No. Why did I buy it then? Big sale, couldn't pass it up. Am I gonna get flack from the purist community? Overwhelmingly so! Do I care? No. What amuses me are the people that make wild, and rude assumptions about me, based on my car Everyone thinks it's stock, and everyone assumes it's non-functional, and everyone thinks I've ruined my car, and eveyone thinks I'm old, balding, fat, and grey haired.

None of that bologna is true, and neither is the assumption that one guy can ruin a model of car for people because of their bad taste in street car fashion. Our choice in car model has an enormously diverse community backing it; you're gonna find all types here. So maybe don't be so quick to judge or assume, because you're likely to be wrong.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:40 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

You talking about erikwithak's car?
Old 11-28-2017, 01:39 PM
I’m Z one
Melting Slicks

Received 242 Likes on 150 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

The same happened many moons ago to the C4 platform. Everything was fine and dandy until some guy put a big azz spoiler on his street car/non-race only C4 and from there it all went downhill. From that point forward the C4 began getting dissed and all street driven non dedicated race car C1, C2 and C3 owners lost all respect for the C4. Have you ever seen a C1 - C3 with a big azz spoiler bolted to their dedicated street legal Vette? Nope and there is a reason for it. I hope this downward spiral doesn’t start for the C5 now.

Last edited by I’m Z one; 11-28-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:53 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Hmmm, have you seen the new C7 ZR1
The following users liked this post:
STALION (12-01-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 03:34 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by feeder82
Yep, looks horrible, even worse than a C7 without the wing. Even Erik's car looks better IMO. To each their own.
No, not a C7 fan at all. Now if the C8 turns out like it's supposed to, it might just impress me.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

I think Eriks car looks complete **** with that wing. Plus he actually track its, and has some decent power to back it up.. I hope he goes FI, or full bolt on. I guarantee if he was making 800-1000hp no one would be talking bad. There are some ghetto *** cars on here with crome tail light trims that I think look awful.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by feeder82

Old 11-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

I think the new ZR1 has a Honda Civic Type-R front end
Old 11-28-2017, 06:05 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Roddy13
I think the new ZR1 has a Honda Civic Type-R front end
I can see the resemblance. The new Z is cool, don't get me wrong, but it's just so over the top. Not my taste, but I guess there's a new King of the Hill.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:10 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TorchRedLS6
I can see the resemblance. The new Z is cool, don't get me wrong, but it's just so over the top. Not my taste, but I guess there's a new King of the Hill.
I think the new one will raise the price of the C 6 ZR 1's
Old 11-29-2017, 04:28 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

It's all good Riteaidkid, I harbour no malcontent

My life has kind of been put on its head recently, which is why I haven't been on here much.

My wife and I are preparing to buy our dream home, on 6 acres, with a 3 car attached garage, and a 6 bay unattached shop It's my sister-in-law's joint, and they are moving in the summer, so we have a very short time to come up with the money we need to close on the property; that and sell our house before then as well, but we are suuuuper excited!!!

So my track build is on hold I was going to totally deconstruct the front of the car, and fabricate a purpose built race setup with all the bells and whistles over the holiday break (AOA adjustable splitter, more struts for support, cabon/nomex honeycomb undertray, convert it to a front breather, fab new brackets and shrouds to direct air, etc, etc), but it looks like that's gonna get pushed out until at least the end of the summer now. Oh well, good enough reason for it if it means I'll get to do it in my dream shop

On top of all that, I bought a new tripod, and 3 angle gear head for it on black Friday this year, so I am waiting to do another photo shoot until my new equipment arrives You will see more posts from me in the future as I dial in my new gear

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 11-29-2017 at 04:57 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ErikwithAK01:
mre1974 (11-30-2017), Pounder (11-29-2017), tdf01cycling (11-29-2017), workmanw (12-07-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:19 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Originally Posted by Leader One

Let's examine this, shall we? The C4 occupies an unusal place in Corvette heritage, being as that it seperates the modern renditions, from the old guard; not only in design, but price, availability, and desirability as well. The old ones are worth the money because they represent a snapshot in history of the General's engineering prowess in the rapidly changing post war technology boom. However, the C4 lacked that necessary ground up undertaking that they saved for the C5. Unfortunately for the poor C4, it was under performing, uninspired by comparison, and lacked a lot of character that the other models possess. Because of that, it does not enjoy the radical following that the Gen 1-3 have, or the place in competetive sport history since GM didn't begin fielding advanced models in LeMans until the C5R. It's rather like the redheaded step child of the Corvette world for lack of better terminology.

So there never really has been a lot of love for the C4 anyways, so I can understand why people that put 50k to 150k PLUS (and that can be a biiiiiiig plus) into their restorations, dislike fielding their cars with Joe blow's $3200.oo Carsmart special

Now, the reasons behind why you never see wings/aero on gen 1-3 cars, are because A.) They all have famously truckish coefficient of drag numbers, B.) They aren't competetive in any classic racing suite, and any one they might compete in strictly prohibit such modifcations for competition, C.) The Gen 1-3 cars tend to be too valuable to do that sort of thing to. You restore a vintage Corvette, not turn it into a track rat (although I'm sure there are a very select few that do). I think you'll find the Corvette purist community to be as tenacious as the Porsche purists as well, so you have a lot of people that are going to be PARTICULARLY upset by big modifications like a wing.

Now, here's the kicker...mine is NOT a dedicated street car; I actually track mine so I have use for it. Infact, I am turning my C5 into a NASA spec car, so it will not be street driven at all for very much longer. Purpose built The wing I bought is used extensively in TT2, ST2, GTS, and all manner of racing competencies in between. There are a LOT of them out there already, so I doubt I'm ruining the C5 for anyone.

I agree that adding a wing for "the look" is kinda lame, but it is a necessity for the level of competition I aim to field my car against. Do I need it right now? No. Why did I buy it then? Big sale, couldn't pass it up. Am I gonna get flack from the purist community? Overwhelmingly so! Do I care? No. What amuses me are the people that make wild, and rude assumptions about me, based on my car Everyone thinks it's stock, and everyone assumes it's non-functional, and everyone thinks I've ruined my car, and eveyone thinks I'm old, balding, fat, and grey haired.

None of that bologna is true, and neither is the assumption that one guy can ruin a model of car for people because of their bad taste in street car fashion. Our choice in car model has an enormously diverse community backing it; you're gonna find all types here. So maybe don't be so quick to judge or assume, because you're likely to be wrong.

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 11-29-2017 at 07:37 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by ErikwithAK01:
Fatbob (12-05-2017), mbsnmisc (12-01-2017), MSgtrock (12-07-2017), Pounder (11-29-2017), tdf01cycling (11-29-2017), workmanw (12-07-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-29-2017, 08:21 AM
doublec4
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts

Next summer I'll also be a pariah for running a big wing on the street. I just chalk up the hate as big **** envy
Old 11-29-2017, 09:29 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01

My life has kind of been put on its head recently, which is why I haven't been on here much.

My wife and I are preparing to buy our dream home, on 6 acres, with a 3 car attached garage, and a 6 bay unattached shop It's my sister-in-law's joint, and they are moving in the summer, so we have a very short time to come up with the money we need to close on the property; that and sell our house before then as well, but we are suuuuper excited!!!

So my track build is on hold I was going to totally deconstruct the front of the car, and fabricate a purpose built race setup with all the bells and whistles over the holiday break (AOA adjustable splitter, more struts for support, cabon/nomex honeycomb undertray, convert it to a front breather, fab new brackets and shrouds to direct air, etc, etc), but it looks like that's gonna get pushed out until at least the end of the summer now. Oh well, good enough reason for it if it means I'll get to do it in my dream shop

On top of all that, I bought a new tripod, and 3 angle gear head for it on black Friday this year, so I am waiting to do another photo shoot until my new equipment arrives You will see more posts from me in the future as I dial in my new gear
Best of luck to you Erik !!!!!! with my new marriage comes a new shop, (well needs a lot of work shop) but still nice !!!!!
Old 11-29-2017, 11:22 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Can any of you that own a big *** shop, or acquiring one soon, adopt me so I can have a big *** shop to play in? Can't wait to see those pics with the new gear Erik. Love seeing them.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:51 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Small world as that's about exactly what I'm looking for. Girlfriend and I both have houses so we have two to sell Not looking forward to having to sell two houses and moving two households worth of stuff. I even sold my 767 RWHP 98 to help fund the new house. Man I missed driving that car so I ended up buying a 528 RWHP 99.
About the wing. I'm not a fan. Do they really help on the track? I was under the impression they only help at high speeds.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:02 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
Small world as that's about exactly what I'm looking for. Girlfriend and I both have houses so we have two to sell Not looking forward to having to sell two houses and moving two households worth of stuff. I even sold my 767 RWHP 98 to help fund the new house. Man I missed driving that car so I ended up buying a 528 RWHP 99.
About the wing. I'm not a fan. Do they really help on the track? I was under the impression they only help at high speeds.
I'd suggest that once you get over 80 mph it makes a difference....so on most full size road courses about 85% of the time.

I don't have a wing on my C5 yet, but when driving a Viper ACR, even on the highway you can certainly feel the car "change" when you get above 80 mph.....and it is a good change

Get notified of new replies

To Sorry for bashing the silver car with wing

Old 11-29-2017, 02:17 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Hey, Erik. I'm old balding and fat, and I hate unneccesary wings, but despite stereotypes, I'm glad you're getting your dream house/shop. Congrats, and continue to entertain us. Dave.
ErikwithAK01 (12-04-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 02:47 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

I do my homework on everything that goes into this car If you read the CFD analysis on it, it gives a breakdown by AoA of the downforce produced at varying speeds. At JUST zero degrees angle of attack, at only 80mph, this wing makes 151 lbs of downforce, and only 17 lbs worth of drag (672 newtons is 151 lbs, the graphs are all in newtons). Pretty impressive in my opinion.

I don't know about you, but I can DEFINITELY feel 150 lbs on the back of my car at that speed.

The wing also helps with braking and more modestly in grip at low speeds in technical events, like autocross. Just crank that baby down to max AoA and you can feel the added stopping power

With the house, we just got really lucky. The gal does my wifes hair and they were chatting about it, so my wife asked her if she would be willing to make a deal with us, and they came back a week later and said yes Anyways, they have an idea what they want for it, but they are doing their market research for their next place, so we haven't hammered out many of the details yet, but it is everything we want

If my wife wasn't such a chatty Cathy, we probably wouldn't have ever known they were thinking of selling, and we would have had no chance if it were an open bid, what with how crazy the housing market is in the PNW these days. It's literally as bad as San Francisco now, the area is just exploding, and there are a TON of high paying jobs pulling in people from all over the world.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 11-29-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Pounder (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Riteaidkid84
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Cool, congrats, that's why we work hard!!

Quick Reply: Sorry for bashing the silver car with wing