Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in MA/RI w/ experience installing radio flyer headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 09:19 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Default Anyone in MA/RI w/ experience installing radio flyer headlights?

while it's a bit too frigid in my garage at the moment to tackle this install, I want to get them installed & functional before spring. It a bit weary doing this mod on my own w/ no prior experience

I'm not a complete novice when it comes to working on the Z- to date Ive installed an MGW shifter, aftermarket sways & end-links, & do routine maintenance like fluid swaps & will do the brakes on my own etc

The electrical/wiring & seemingly "finicky" pop up headlight assemblies scare me a bit though

I'm close to Gillette stadium - if anyone has experience willing to lend a helping hand or guidance, or if you have a shop recommendation who could handle this I'd be interested!

Stay warm!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Monsteryes
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I've worked on/around my stock headlights a bunch, it's nothing crazy, hardest part for me has been getting the surrounds back on without nicking the bumper.
Im no pro, but I'm in north central mass, I could stop by and provide moral support if you want lol
Old 01-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Everything is plug and play. If you can install the MGW shifter, you can install the lights. It literally is hit or miss whether or not you have electrical issues. Some cars are more sensitive than others, and there is nothing you can do about it. There is a way to get around the headlights not closing issue without installing resistors, but that would require modifying the stock harness. Or something similar to the hyperflash harness. I could probably build a plug and play modification harness for the headlight control module.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:35 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Undo the top bolt like this

The bottom headlight adjuster you can pop off with a flat screwdriver and put it back together with a pair of vice grips.

Doesn't take much force.

Also undo the 10mm bolt on the other side and the one that holds on the bracket
then swap out the light.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-09-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:45 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Monsteryes
I've worked on/around my stock headlights a bunch, it's nothing crazy, hardest part for me has been getting the surrounds back on without nicking the bumper.
Im no pro, but I'm in north central mass, I could stop by and provide moral support if you want lol
When I work on my headlights I use 2" blue tape around the edges of the openings.......works.
The following users liked this post:
C5Dobie (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:24 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

One thing I was curious about is why its required to manually raise the headlights in order to remove them? Couldn't you simply flip them up then shot the car off w/ them raised already?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
One thing I was curious about is why its required to manually raise the headlights in order to remove them? Couldn't you simply flip them up then shot the car off w/ them raised already?
Shutting the car off does not disconnect power to the headlight motors, as soon as you turn off the lights they will go back down. You can turn them on then switch to parking lights only, which will keep the lights up. Disconnect the harness going to the headlights, then shut off the lights.
C5Dobie (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:53 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
That's all I do.

Don't know where the manual raising came from but

it's not required.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-10-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:14 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tsumi
Shutting the car off does not disconnect power to the headlight motors, as soon as you turn off the lights they will go back down. You can turn them on then switch to parking lights only, which will keep the lights up. Disconnect the harness going to the headlights, then shut off the lights.
Yeah I guess that's what I meant....figured that out a couple years ago when I was trying to figure out how the hell I could clean the lenses w/o blinding myself lol
Old 01-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Bobd207s
Burning Brakes

Location: Cancer Sucks - please donate to Corvettes Conquer Cancer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

If you need a mechanic to install your RadioFlyer headlights I highly recommend Chris Gagnon of Vette Undercar in Salem, NH. As usual Chris did a awesome job installing mine and I couldn't be happier - definitely a great upgrade for our C5's !! You can reach Chris at 978-609-5245. Hope this helps
Bob
C5Dobie (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 12:16 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bobd207s
If you need a mechanic to install your RadioFlyer headlights I highly recommend Chris Gagnon of Vette Undercar in Salem, NH. As usual Chris did a awesome job installing mine and I couldn't be happier - definitely a great upgrade for our C5's !! You can reach Chris at 978-609-5245. Hope this helps
Bob
Thanks a lot that is helpful - Not only do I dislike dealing w/ electronics, I've already had an issue w/ the lights not coming up @ times, making ticking sound, narrowed it to a ground issue & then an issue w/ the control module/fuse for the door controls. So needless to say - I'd rather just have a pro mechanic used to dealing w/ vette tackle this one.

I already have another few jobs lined up for myself - clean out vararam filter, install new pads/rotors/lines, disassemble & powder coat calipers while replacing pistons. I'm not a waxer, I just know the extent of my limitations & can identify maintenance mods I know I'll ENJOY doing, vs. ones that'll drive me to drink lol!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:03 PM
Bobd207s
Burning Brakes

Location: Cancer Sucks - please donate to Corvettes Conquer Cancer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Hi C5 Dobie - You will be very happy with Chris's work !! He just finished updating my audio system - installed Double Din Pioneer Head unit, all new Polk Audio speakers , Focal amp and ran all sorts of connections in the center console for hooking up phone, ipod, etc. Chris did a very clean custom install !!
C5Dobie (01-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone in MA/RI w/ experience installing radio flyer headlights?

Quick Reply: Anyone in MA/RI w/ experience installing radio flyer headlights?