Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's 38 degress and misting rain. I'm going for a ride!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:41 PM
C5 Kirkland
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Midnight
To quote the witch in Wizard of OZ....I'm melting...I'm melting. So, do corvettes do the same thing when wet? BTW, saw the red C7 (xhl8ing) verte yesterday in the rain at 39 degrees on 520. I was coming back form Hood River, OR (had 2 of my employees with me) in my Avy. Still trying to figure out how to get three people in my C5 so I can use carpool lanes on 520. If any WA drivers have figured it out I am curious.
With a hacksaw.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:15 AM
SAYUNCL
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't drive the vette in the rain because it's a pain in the *** to make it pretty again. I don't drive it in the winter <not because the roads are shitty> but simply because my other rides have remote starts and heated seats. I don't want to get in the vette and freeze my ***** off.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:53 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Y'all are funny. Believe it or not I made it back home safely. On one cold wet stretch gave enough throttle to turn on Traction Control just to make sure it still works.

BTW I programed out Active Handling years ago. I learned to handle way before such a thing and between what it would do automatically and what I would do instinctively .... real problem!

Last edited by UM Rebel; 01-13-2018 at 01:08 AM. Reason: add stuff
Old 01-13-2018, 05:10 AM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

I drive mine - it's a car made of metal and plastic, not cotton candy - it won't melt. Besides, I don't want to be lying on my death bed one day saying "I sure wish I would have ridden my motorcycles and driven my car more..." No sense in preserving it for the next guy who would buy it after I'm all croaked out.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:46 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I tend to not drive my Corvette in the rain, because for some reason unknown to me, it "disappears" to other drivers. Several times, back before I retired, I drove my C-5 to work, when there was potential for rain. And sure enough, on my way home, even though I had the lights all on and was driving at a reasonable speed, in the right lane of the expressway, I almost got "run over" by 2-3 jackasses. They would drive right up on my back bumper, cut left at the last possible moment to pass me, then damned near drive over my hood, as they cut back in front of me, to keep on going. Only happened when I was in my 'Vette.......
Old 01-15-2018, 09:30 AM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I tend to not drive my Corvette in the rain, because for some reason unknown to me, it "disappears" to other drivers. Several times, back before I retired, I drove my C-5 to work, when there was potential for rain. And sure enough, on my way home, even though I had the lights all on and was driving at a reasonable speed, in the right lane of the expressway, I almost got "run over" by 2-3 jackasses. They would drive right up on my back bumper, cut left at the last possible moment to pass me, then damned near drive over my hood, as they cut back in front of me, to keep on going. Only happened when I was in my 'Vette.......
That may or may not be weather related. Having recently purchased my first Corvette; in fair or foul weather, I have noticed that some drivers become a bit aggressive in response to the Corvette. Seems the car's looks may be bringing out the inner child in them. Having ridden a motorcycle for years, I know the difference between being unseen, and seen. There is no question, I am being seen in my Corvette.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:20 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by 00Midnight
To quote the witch in Wizard of OZ....I'm melting...I'm melting. So, do corvettes do the same thing when wet? BTW, saw the red C7 (xhl8ing) verte yesterday in the rain at 39 degrees on 520. I was coming back form Hood River, OR (had 2 of my employees with me) in my Avy. Still trying to figure out how to get three people in my C5 so I can use carpool lanes on 520. If any WA drivers have figured it out I am curious.

Last edited by knewblewkorvette; 01-15-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:55 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by wdcraig
That may or may not be weather related. Having recently purchased my first Corvette; in fair or foul weather, I have noticed that some drivers become a bit aggressive in response to the Corvette. Seems the car's looks may be bringing out the inner child in them. Having ridden a motorcycle for years, I know the difference between being unseen, and seen. There is no question, I am being seen in my Corvette.
I don't know what to say. I've had my Corvette for 16 years, having purchased it in the summer of 2001. I also had a 1996 Z/28 Camaro, which I owned until 2015. I drove them both, regularly, during the summer, and I never had any issues in the Camaro, in the rain, like I had when I was in the 'Vette....

Quick Reply: It's 38 degress and misting rain. I'm going for a ride!