Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock C5 Corvettes are slow? Who all here is still factory?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:29 AM
sjhanc
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Those family cars might be quicker, but none of them look as good as a C5.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:56 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

2000 and 2004 basically both stock .
Old 01-19-2018, 10:08 AM
tbill
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

04 CE stock other than axle back exhaust.

a few of you guys really sucked the life/fun out of this topic, lol.

I've been a wrench for GM for 30 years, each model has it's own issues/problems, any mass produced vehicle is on a budget, and heft is always the enemy, thus, any car is gonna have short comings.

having said that, I love my C5, I've driven quicker/faster cars, but when I get in my car, it puts a smile on my face, and I also enjoy just looking at the lines of the car, just gorgeous in my eyes, to me, that's all that matters.....it makes me happy.
The following users liked this post:
msandym (01-23-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:12 AM
cwf04vette
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as I know my 2003 is stock except for a Borla exhaust. I've only owned it since the end of September and put about 700 miles on it before putting it away for the winter. I will say it is much faster than my Subaru Outback!! Pulled out onto the highway and punched it which resulted in my looking at the HUD which quickly said 101. That was enough to get my heart pumping. Felt better than 100mph on my Honda Goldwing.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:20 PM
Spitzer235
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I never really viewed my car as " slow" when it was stock but I had the mod bug and added the S/C etc... and it will run with most stuff out there. Sure the car probably has a few short comings depending on what each person is looking to do with the car, but the wife has a few short comings too and I've learned to live with them. i'm happy with her and I love my C5 so all is right in my world.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:54 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by chillin014
You have an interesting way of pulling statistics out of thin air. I'd like to see the data you've been collecting from your census of the Corvette community. I can easily type "corvette fix ___" into google and get forum thread after forum thread of people with a similar issue. That's a clear sign that enough people have the same problems that we don't have lemons. We have old Chevy products.

You know how the internet is...any vehicle of any make has any problem, and everyone who has it is posting all over the internet about it, making it seem like a much bigger problem than it actually is...I will say it again, if the C5 was as problematic as you're making it out to be, 1) this site would be full of nothing but complaints about the car, which it isn't, and 2) the car would so undesirable that sellers wouldn't be able to give them away, which is also not the case...stop exaggerating....
Old 01-22-2018, 09:05 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
... My '04 is now 14 years old and has nearly 170K miles. Other than some minor issues (rubber door seals need replacing), everything still works. Zero creaks, squeaks or rattles from my car (I'm am **** about these sorts of issues). I couldn't be happier from my Vette.

But this is not possible. Don't you know that ALL C5s are so poorly built they just self destruct over time?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:35 AM
km60sb@yahoo.com
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I have a 2003, A4 with only a Blackwing and Corsa catback as mods. Is it as fast as many of the new cars, no (heck, some four door sedans are quicker). But it still will put you back in the seat and has plenty of performance for me.
I have a 2002 vert. Stock? I replaced Magnaflo cats in 2 years/ Junk. I had it at dealer and Bredermann Chevy in Morton Grove has Matt! A service writer Mike! Ive owned mine since 2006 bought it with 4K. Most everything done on my C5 is done there. Mike is A Pro/ Matt a Corvette trained professional. Mr Miller go on and talk to Matt we have your car on the rack.
Hey Matt are my cats shot? Yes! I thought i heard the first knock ever in a C5 he says. Yea that’s what i heard.
After reading extensively for a couple days on Corvette Forum and getting insight into the Titanium Mufflers and one member raving after another i asked Ron what he thought? Buy them? Why i was lucky enough to find a pair on Craigslist.
Check this out! I replaced my Cats with with Magnaflow from the Stck exaust manifolds to mufflers with clamps and an exceptionally strong center mounting angle support that proved the entire Magnaflo cats to fit like factory. A local shop installed the Cats and my Ti Mufflers.
Next i drive to FL. I get into a 75 MPH cruise and like always the gas mileage is reading 27 24.9 25 26 and after 3 4 hundred miles it continues at 24 to 25.7. Here’s the kicker! Ive been in Florida for three days driving normally and the mileage is holding at 24.1 th 24.5. I have 120,000 on it and I have never had better than 15 MPG in any city driving.
Power is unbelievable better.
I do 99% of my research on Forum and i can thank you guys for every upgrade I can afford.
When i bought my 2002 i was not sure I could handle 350 HP, seriously after a 120K I’d like 3500 HP. After racing a brand new 500 HP Camaro i
understand the difference now. Ive raced a 911 and done better maybe he having mama and me alone maybe he had the safety for my passenger factor. I always do.
Depends what you call fast.
Anyway being my first real American muscle car I’m not sure how much farther ahead of traffic i want to be from traffic lights and freeway entrances.
Yes. On a clear day in Chicago i had to drive my son to an important
College something and on the way to pick him up he called and was like I’ll
UBER the ride. Telling him to wait i seen traffic was wide open and drive between 140 and 150 MPH with lotsa throttle left. i drove to the Columbia College niehborhood from Mt Prospect IL about a 22 mile ride in 14 minutes. That included the bumper to bumper 3 Mille inner city traffic. Fast? Yea. He was on time with time to spare.
Thanks for your threads man.
Now i have to order seat cushions, last time I had the cushions only replaced and ordered them from GM. This time i ordered 574$ seat covers from autocustomleather on Ebay.
Yes they make the covers themselves and that’s all they do. No light bulbs, exaust systems brakes! Just what they know. Gary convinced me a year ago to order from them when i was ready. If anyone can recommend seat cushions i need them.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:20 AM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
You know how the internet is...any vehicle of any make has any problem, and everyone who has it is posting all over the internet about it, making it seem like a much bigger problem than it actually is...I will say it again, if the C5 was as problematic as you're making it out to be, 1) this site would be full of nothing but complaints about the car, which it isn't, and 2) the car would so undesirable that sellers wouldn't be able to give them away, which is also not the case...stop exaggerating....
Glad to see you’re back on board with us c5 owners

Quick Reply: Stock C5 Corvettes are slow? Who all here is still factory?