Sponsored by:

It's all about the tires folks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 03:05 AM
2 GRUMPY
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I ditched the OEM Goodyears for a set of Hankook Ventus V12 tires. Amazing how much better the car road, how much less road noise and the improved handling the car has. Technology marches on, but the C5 is still a very competent car.
I have the Hankooks on mine and they corner and ride better than the runflats !
Old 01-20-2018, 03:21 AM
x3d187
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to agree, tires make a HUGE difference with these cars. After the cam swap swapping to NT05R's was one of the best mods done to the car.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:50 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Performance is about more than just tires. Power put to the ground is most important and many newer sedans put more power to the ground than stock C5's. If you want to run with the big boys - you have to up the power output. Better tires will improve handling and give you better off the line traction, but without more power at the wheels, you won't need the additional traction.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:04 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrowne
Performance is about more than just tires. Power put to the ground is most important and many newer sedans put more power to the ground than stock C5's. If you want to run with the big boys - you have to up the power output. Better tires will improve handling and give you better off the line traction, but without more power at the wheels, you won't need the additional traction.
Not everyone only wants to have a fast straight line car. If you read the first post, you would see that this has nothing to do with that.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:12 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

I re-read the first post - everything said is about performance! Tires are about handling and they don't really add much to performance per se. It's a given that great sports cars need good tires but great tires on a lead sled don't add much.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:07 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrowne
I re-read the first post - everything said is about performance! Tires are about handling and they don't really add much to performance per se. It's a given that great sports cars need good tires but great tires on a lead sled don't add much.
What? You could dump $5000 into a suspension setup, and put it on some garbage tires and it would get outrun by a stock car on sticky tires. His point is that a stock car with high quality modern tires is going to lap a track very quickly.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:30 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
What? You could dump $5000 into a suspension setup, and put it on some garbage tires and it would get outrun by a stock car on sticky tires. His point is that a stock car with high quality modern tires is going to lap a track very quickly.
I disagree. The OP was making the statement that C5's weren't keeping up with current competition because of the OEM Goodyear runflats that came on the car. How many C5 owners are still using those antiquated turds? Very few. Sticky tires aren't going to compensate for hundreds of horsepower difference. No matter what tire you put on a stock C5, without go fast mods to make up for it's lack of power, it's not touching a C7 or heaven forbid, Z06- especially around a track.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:24 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
I have the BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2 high performance summer tires along with C6 metal endlinks and C5 Z06 sway bars and the cars handling, ride and performance are much improved over the G/Y EMT's and the plastic endlinks and FE1 sways that come with the F45 adjustable suspension.
Same tires, metal end links, Z51 sway bars and F45 suspension. Also went to "Mag" rims. Wow! I'm in love again!

Now to get the CD player fixed.

Quick Reply: It's all about the tires folks!