Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How many of you change the oil/filter yourself?
Yes, I change the oil/filter myself.
90.12%
Heck no, are you crazy - it’s a Corvette!
6.40%
Pie
3.49%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you change the oil yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

I do it myself. It's faster than going somewhere and cheaper.

It's also pretty easy without a lift. Raise the rear of the car, remove oil pan bolt and filter, lower car back down (C5s need to be near level for proper oil drain), let drain into a slim pan, raise back up, re-install, fill up crankcase, done. What takes the most time is waiting for all the oil to drain. Usually do a chore in the garage or drink another beer.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:32 AM
socal_Dad
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I change my own and do all maintenance and repairs myself. With 4 cars, there is always something to do. I keep a list of the required filters and whenever we need to buy something on Amazon and don't have quite enough to get free shipping, I just add in an oil filter or two! I always have filters and oil on hand and the changes are super easy.

When my daughter gets her license in the next year that will bring it up to 5 vehicles. I like working on them all and keeping them nice.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

At may age, ain't no way.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:12 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by Red Dwarf
At may age, ain't no way.
At least you have a badass avatar, so you’ve got that going for you
Old 01-23-2018, 03:52 PM
captaineddie
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

I have more metal in my neck than is probably in the entire car. I let somebody else do the crawling and straining.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:37 PM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I do all my own maintenance except alignments. I don't know anyone else I would trust. Mike
Old 01-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by AE Guy
My Corvette friends seem to freak out every time they find out that I change the oil/filter on my C5 by myself. It’s still a car and actually IMO it’s really pretty easy to work on.

I am not a mechanic by any means, but I can follow instructions and am not afraid to take tasks such as these especially when I know they’ll be done right and I can save a few bucks.

So I am curious, how many C5 owners do their own maintenance and how many leave their fate to garages/stealerships?

Yes, do it myself. I let it drain for a couple hours or maybe overnight. The funnel I use is scrupulously clean and I know I'm getting real Mobil1. (Bought on sale during the rebate periods.) It doesn't get overfilled or underfilled. Have a full height lift which makes it easy. With the Corvette and other family cars I make a trip to recycling once a year with 25-30 gallons of used oil.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:26 PM
Brackets
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Always, and it has nothing to do with $$$.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:35 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrprich
I used to for perhaps 45 years of cars.
But after three back surgeries, I found a local shop that charges me $20.
I bring my own oil and filter, the owner and manager know me well and respect my Vette.
I did mine up until I f*cked up my back a few years ago... now do the same. I bring my own everything and watch closely and pay $22.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:46 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts

I doubt the quick lube places fill the filter up with fresh oil before installing, or raise the back up more than an inch to get all the oil out. There are a few things that just doesn't get done that you would do if you take the car to be serviced.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:26 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 722 Likes on 496 Posts

Newer engines, especially after 1998, have increasingly small orifices. It is more important than ever to use high quality filters.

The issue with changing oil, there is a chance for contamination, dirt and filth can enter the engine when the plugs/caps are removed. If the service tech does not fully clean and wipe all areas involved with liquid transfer for example.

All it takes is little dirt to ruin an engine. Plug an orifice and you might not find out for 5k miles by which time the block could be trash. I just consider worst case scenarios. If the engine does fail, at least if you did the oil changes yourself, you know it wasn't because somebody poisoned the engine some years ago.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:26 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by pjdbm
I doubt the quick lube places fill the filter up with fresh oil before installing, or raise the back up more than an inch to get all the oil out. There are a few things that just doesn't get done that you would do if you take the car to be serviced.
I will never use quick oil change places again. Years ago I had my oil changed in my truck at a Quickie lube. When I got home I noticed a trail of oil. They had forgot to put the differential plug back in. I called them and he said "Yep, the plug is sitting right here on the bench". He blamed it on the fact that they were training in a new guy and said they would give me a free oil change. I asked what happens if my differential fails in the future?
All he said was "No problem". Right.
Luckily I did not drive it far, noticed it right away and the case did not go dry, otherwise it would have been a real mess.
Quick oil change places do not have the most highly skilled employees and I will never trust them again.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:42 AM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Mike, i like that alot I keep separate books on my cars but it would be nice to see a maintenance chart all together like that in the garage.
Where can I get one of those?
Not sure where you could buy one, the big auction site probably has them from time to time. We have a store and the vendors occasionally have cool stuff like that they'll give me.
The following users liked this post:
capevettes (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:45 AM
Cryptoboy
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

I haven't had my Vette long enough to decide yet! I need a new jack - the one I had for the 74 won't fit under the 02.

My biggest issue is the disposal - how do people dispose of the old oil and filter?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:12 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
I haven't had my Vette long enough to decide yet! I need a new jack - the one I had for the 74 won't fit under the 02.

My biggest issue is the disposal - how do people dispose of the old oil and filter?
In NY state, any retailer that sells oil, is required to accept the used oil, for recycle. If you can't do that, there are options...many "highway Department garages, use a waste oil furnace to heat their buildings in the winter. Many of them will accept used oil from their residents.

One of my friends has a Midas Muffler franchise, and he has a waste oil furnace. Usually near the end of winter, especially a really cold one, like we had this year, he's gladly accepting used oil so he can keep the shop warm.

With respect to old filters, I used to work part-time, for the area's Advance Auto Parts store. We were located in a "strip plaza", next door to a GoodYear service store. The GY store had a small "dumpster bin" just for old oil filters, which was located outside the rear of the shop. I used to toss my used ones in there.....
Old 01-24-2018, 11:19 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 259 Posts

No one ever touches my cars.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:22 AM
Cryptoboy
Pro

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
In NY state, any retailer that sells oil, is required to accept the used oil, for recycle. If you can't do that, there are options...many "highway Department garages, use a waste oil furnace to heat their buildings in the winter. Many of them will accept used oil from their residents.

One of my friends has a Midas Muffler franchise, and he has a waste oil furnace. Usually near the end of winter, especially a really cold one, like we had this year, he's gladly accepting used oil so he can keep the shop warm.

With respect to old filters, I used to work part-time, for the area's Advance Auto Parts store. We were located in a "strip plaza", next door to a GoodYear service store. The GY store had a small "dumpster bin" just for old oil filters, which was located outside the rear of the shop. I used to toss my used ones in there.....
What's a furnace? (AZ here - I haven't turned the heat on once yet!)

Good ideas - I'll need to take a look.

Get notified of new replies

To How many of you change the oil yourself?

Old 01-24-2018, 11:46 AM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06
I do my own oil changes and everything else that I have the tools and capability to.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:56 AM
Cryptoboy
Pro

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Bet you can't say that about the Swamp Cooler/AC come July!!!!
True. Luckily I have solar so my bills aren't out the roof (so to speak).
Old 01-24-2018, 01:27 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by johnson-rod
No one ever touches my cars.
Mine either . My 04 sees 150 + MPH at times ,yes on the track , I don't want to be thinking if the last YA-HOO who worked on it forget to tighten something up .. I am the only YA-HOO that works on it ,way too much money in any for my Corvettes to let someone but there hands on them .. I have tools and the knowhow and be working on vettes for well long time many years ..

Quick Reply: How many of you change the oil yourself?