Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever had tranny fluid leak once and never again?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 09:49 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified
Default Ever had tranny fluid leak once and never again?

I’ve actually got a thread about my issue in the Tech area, but I know several CF members don’t usually hang out in the Tech section.

Anyway, my tranny leaked a few ounces after merely starting it, backing it up, then pulling into a different garage area for about 2 hours. Definitely red transmission fluid.

Main thread with details w/pics here - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-chime-in.html

Since then, drove it easy and then drove it hard for about 20 minutes, parked it and have been watching for drips ever since...but no leaks for hours now. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:38 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Some people have had C5's with overfilled transmissions. In this case maybe your trans leaked excess fluid from the vent tube, then once purged of the extra fluid it won't leak anymore. This could explain your leaking situation. Or it could have been overfilled on a trans fluid change.
The following users liked this post:
FX VETTE (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 08:29 AM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by striper
Some people have had C5's with overfilled transmissions. In this case maybe your trans leaked excess fluid from the vent tube, then once purged of the extra fluid it won't leak anymore. This could explain your leaking situation. Or it could have been overfilled on a trans fluid change.
Thanks Striper. 14 hours later and no leaks. I have had the car for the last 6k miles and have never messed with the transmission. I seriously doubt the previous owners ever had the fluid changed, no records of it anyway. Is it possible that it has ben overfilled and now 15 years later and 45k miles it decided to let the excess go?
SG Lou (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 10:07 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by AE Guy
Thanks Striper. 14 hours later and no leaks. I have had the car for the last 6k miles and have never messed with the transmission. I seriously doubt the previous owners ever had the fluid changed, no records of it anyway. Is it possible that it has ben overfilled and now 15 years later and 45k miles it decided to let the excess go?
I was wondering when you were gonna chime in...Unless you had it serviced I doubt it would be over filled.
FX VETTE (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 10:18 AM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SG Lou
I was wondering when you were gonna chime in...Unless you had it serviced I doubt it would be over filled.
I’m at a total loss Lou, I don’t know much about transmissions. It’s a bit gunked up in that general area where I saw the red drips, so I’m guessing this has been going on for a while. The thing I really don’t understand is the amount of fluid that leaked on the garage floor within 2 hours and then now nothing at all. Especially when all I did was back it up from one garage spot and move it to another.

My plan is to put it up on ramps and jack stands, hit that whole area with degreaser/hose it off or clean it up with brake cleaner and see if I can tell exactly where it is coming from.
SG Lou (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 01:25 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Nothing to add, other than a good luck and hopefully it's not to expensive
FX VETTE (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 02:48 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Maybe it stopped leaking because it's empty now. (lol).
If you do get it up on stands, you should check the fluid level. And, since you said you doubted the previous owners had ever changed it, maybe it's a good idea to do that after you ensure it's not leaking from somewhere.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:53 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Twice I've had drips on the floor that i couldn't identify and tech couldn't find anything. Now we find a pinhole in a heater hose which is on the same area as the drip.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:00 AM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by AE Guy
I’m at a total loss Lou, I don’t know much about transmissions. It’s a bit gunked up in that general area where I saw the red drips, so I’m guessing this has been going on for a while. The thing I really don’t understand is the amount of fluid that leaked on the garage floor within 2 hours and then now nothing at all. Especially when all I did was back it up from one garage spot and move it to another.

My plan is to put it up on ramps and jack stands, hit that whole area with degreaser/hose it off or clean it up with brake cleaner and see if I can tell exactly where it is coming from.
I think that's a good plan. I had a similar issue and after I got the area cleaned, I put some paper towels under the cleaned area so I could see if there was still leaking and if so where approximately it was coming from. Also check the back of the car for oil residue. That's another sign of the leaking.

Mine seemed to leak the most when it was driven at higher speeds. Not so much when parked or lower speeds. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
FX VETTE (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 10:40 AM
Clancy209
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Put a piece of clean cardboard under the suspected area you should be able to pinpoint area of leak
Old 01-31-2018, 12:50 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

I ran my issue by a guy who runs a reputable tranny shop in a city nearby. He said the amount of fluid that leaked was minimal and could have been due to venting. He also offered to inspect it for free.

I'm still going to clean it up good this weekend and monitor it. Then probably take it by his shop after a bit of monitoring. It's due for a tranny fluid and filter change in 5k anyway.

Thanks to all who replied. I know most CF members don't even click on threads with transmission issues, so your input is much appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Ever had tranny fluid leak once and never again?

Quick Reply: Ever had tranny fluid leak once and never again?