Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you a snow belt Corvette driver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 02:34 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

As long as it's not very icy, I take it on during the winter.

Always gets rinsed off and put back in the heated garage during the winter months...just because I use it doesn't mean I neglect it.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:00 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I've lived in the "snow belt" for the greater portion of my life. Therefore, I'm familiar with driving in the snowy weather. I just wonder what you guys are doing for traction, on snow. Back in the day, yeah, I used to see C-2s and C-3s on the road all year, because readily available F and G70-15 snow tires were narrow enough to cut through the snow.

But as far as I know, the last time anybody made snow tires in Corvette sizes was in the early days of the C-5s, and even at that, they were pretty wide, for being able to get enough traction, to easily/safely turn corners.

AND, while someone already posted that Corvettes don't rust....the body won't, but the chassis, and electrical connectors will.....
The following users liked this post:
C5R USA (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 03:05 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

I previously drove my C3 during winter while living in New England, usually when I had a date and didn't want to take my truck. It's all good until I saw the rust pouring off the frame, exhaust, brakes and suspension. Traded it the following year before the frame rotted out. Saw it a few years later and no surprise, someone did a lot of creative welding under that car.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Bigbully
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My C5 was bought back in September, and hasn't come out of the garage yet.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Clancy209
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

When the roads are clear and dry, no matter what the temp is I go for a ride.
I said it before it’s like preventative maintenance, fluids moving, wheels turning etc. etc. etc.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:16 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
...while someone already posted that Corvettes don't rust....the body won't, but the chassis, and electrical connectors will.....
EXACTLY. It's like people forget that the rest of the car is still made of metal and there's other components to it. And to the guys who say they wash it then put it away, do you clean the underside, clean out the wheel wells, and go through the engine bay? Road salt is nasty stuff.
C5R USA (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:43 PM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

zero against those that do, but I don't in Ct.
My buddy drove his C3 thru everything a NE winter could throw at him...
He actually picked me up on a bad day for work in it.

God bless Ronny and his C3 in BPT.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:25 AM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts

OK there is steel in it. It can rust. Is a Corvette not a car? Name a car on the road today that is immune from rust. If everyone in the snow belt stuck their cars in garages and put them on battery tenders during the winter - there would be no cars on the road during the winter months. And to those who will not drive their Corvettes in the rain terrified that their cars might get dirty; I can't even begin to understand that. The car is water resistant, is it not?

But with that said, just because I don't understand it, doesn't mean not using something might bring more joy to others than using it. But you might want to consider that every minute you are not driving your Corvette you are just giving that minute to someone else.

So drive or not, to each his or her own- but I'll smoke that $100 cigar and drink that bottle of wine and I will drive my Corvette (and may the senior gods of this forum forgive me; I even run it through an automated car wash...and it is a convertible) because life is short and according to my beliefs there are no second chances on earth.
Attached Images   
Old 02-10-2018, 02:11 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 439 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

You folks that drive your Vettes in snow and bitter cold temps, more power to you. My car is lowered and running on pure summer tires. The couple of times I have been unfortunate enough to be caught in snow fall in my old ZR-1 years ago, was enough reality for me to never want to drive a Vette intentionally in that kind of climate. I don't enjoy white-knuckling the steering wheel after feeling the rear end kick out or loss of traction, that's a sickening feeling.

All the salt and crap that's put on the roads year after year, it takes it's toll on the chassis. I'll leave the inclimate weather duty to my 4X4, that's what I bought it for.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:05 AM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

For someone who tracks their car, with ultra high performance street tires used for rainy days, the recommendation is that the tires may be damaged in temps below 40 degrees. With all the crap on the roads, it's just not worth it anyway. Fond recollections of being a young man and firing up my 1966 427/425Hp roadster after a long winter nap. It was such a thrill, and it still feels that way starting up the Z06 in about March. Content to wait.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:58 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Winter in Maryland can be bad, real bad. But today, after yesterday’s full day of rain to wash off the lingering stuff from the roads that is put on to help traction in ice and snow, I took my 04 Vert out for a 2 hour ride (top up, not that warm). Went to 2 stores and to my amazement I saw another C5Z parked in the lot. Wow, two of us that just cannot waste 4+ months not driving our avatars’ because of Winter. No Winter C5 hibernation for this guy.
you are a better man than i am Gunga Din.
rrwirsi (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 04:18 AM
golfnutts
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

Drive my 2003 A/E during winter here in Kansas, except when there is snow on the ground. Have All season tires on it.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:15 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

fuel pump on the truck died
Old 02-10-2018, 07:37 AM
wdcraig
Pro

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I've lived in the "snow belt" for the greater portion of my life. Therefore, I'm familiar with driving in the snowy weather. I just wonder what you guys are doing for traction, on snow. Back in the day, yeah, I used to see C-2s and C-3s on the road all year, because readily available F and G70-15 snow tires were narrow enough to cut through the snow.

But as far as I know, the last time anybody made snow tires in Corvette sizes was in the early days of the C-5s, and even at that, they were pretty wide, for being able to get enough traction, to easily/safely turn corners.

AND, while someone already posted that Corvettes don't rust....the body won't, but the chassis, and electrical connectors will.....
My car is wearing Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all season) ZP (zero pressure). Does just OK in the snow. Snow removal in our area (Chicago suburbs) and surrounding interstates is something of a priority. I will continue using A/S tires on my Corvette, allowing for the year round use for reasons of temperature. I've never used a dedicated snow tire or summer tire on any of my vehicles.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:19 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by C5R USA
.........All the salt and crap that's put on the roads year after year, it takes it's toll on the chassis. I'll leave the inclimate weather duty to my 4X4, that's what I bought it for.
Same here!!

Originally Posted by wdcraig
My car is wearing Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all season) ZP (zero pressure). Does just OK in the snow. Snow removal in our area (Chicago suburbs) and surrounding interstates is something of a priority. I will continue using A/S tires on my Corvette, allowing for the year round use for reasons of temperature. I've never used a dedicated snow tire or summer tire on any of my vehicles.
To each his/her own......

However, when I was still working full-time, I had to be at work by 6AM. That meant that in questionable conditions, I was leaving my house at 5:15AM, to drive 23 miles across town. Yes, in my area, snow removal is a priority, too, but at the hour I was heading out to work, there were times I was out even before the snow plows. That's when I got my first 4x4, as a winter driver, some 20+ years ago.

While you may feel comfortable driving a low slung car, with 35-40 series, all season tires on it, I'll take my slightly higher, snow tire equipped 4x4.......

wdcraig (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 09:23 AM
wdcraig
Pro

Don't get me wrong- my wife drives her AWD Highlander during the winter- our convertible BMW during the summer and on the really crappy winter days I drive our Corolla "beater". I too am an early riser, and the streets are not always clean and snow can hit here on my evening commute harder than the snow plows can clear it. While I have driven my Corvette in winter conditions- it is certainly not my "go to." I just don't moth ball the car. When we ran into some snow on an un-cleared street on a day trip to Indiana, I did not freak out and when it started snowing last month on the way home from a day trip to Wisconsin; not a problem. I totally understand mothballing a car with summer tires (and it seems like most people run summer tires on their Corvettes)- the cold temperatures will ruin them. But I run all seasons and I will drive during the winter. I should also explain, my car has 98,000 miles on it and I actually sought out a higher mileage car because I bought it with the intention of driving it. I don't abuse the car (in fact it is under a cover right now)- but I will use it.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:26 AM
jd911
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I try to drive mine at least once a month during the winter. I had it out on the 27th of January. The best mechanic I've ever known, my grandfather, gave me the following advice, "The best way to store a car is not to".

YMMV

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Are you a snow belt Corvette driver?

Old 02-10-2018, 09:54 AM
bruceg2016
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Our corvette is 100% hobby, we take it to shows, cruise nights etc. Here in Pa. the events stop in Nov and don't start up again until April. I have never given a thought to what someone else does with their vette. Drive it 24/7 or start it once a year, what ever floats your boat is fine with me.

Last edited by bruceg2016; 02-10-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:34 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

The key for me to drive what I would consider a normally summer only vehicle (Vette, motorcycle, etc.) in the winter would be getting a heavy enough rain to wash away any salt or other corrosives that may be used on the roads. Driving vehicles on wet roads mixed with corrosives has the stuff seeping into every nook and cranny and will eventually turn into corrosion, as there is no possible way to clean it all out. Sometimes this means my vehicles will stay parked all winter as we don't always get a cleansing rain during the winter...
Old 02-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Snow fall this year is light (very), and there is a reason to have all season tires. Because you can get caught out.

Quick Reply: Are you a snow belt Corvette driver?