Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 03:38 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by JETZ
First ‘mod’ I did, hate them, much cleaner without.

frank
...when I ordered mine new in 2004 I told Kerbeck that if my Vettte came in from Bowling Green with the BSMs on that I would not buy the car...plain and simple...to me the BSMs take away from the clean smooth flowing look...I cannot imagine having them...

Last edited by Yello95; 02-14-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:40 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by JETZ
I have some ‘4sail’

frank
$600 ? for what? a boat sail...you are selling a boat part?

Old 02-14-2018, 05:11 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
...when I ordered mine new in 2004 I told Kerbeck that if my Vettte came in from Bowling Green with the BSMs on that I would not buy the car...plain and simple...to me the BSMs take away from the clean smooth flowing look...I cannot imagine having them...
You speak of smooth "flowing" look.

I have always believed the word "flowing" is synonymous with "motion."
Some time, look at a picture with a Vette that has bsm, and one that doesn't, and the one with it looks like it is moving, even though stationary.
Besides providing protection to the doors, bsm definitely gives the appearance of motion.
Naturally it is a personal choice.

Bob.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:29 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

If I planned to daily drive the car and it had them on I'd keep them to help against door dings.

Since my car is a weekend toy and never had them, I happy to have them off.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by calguy
You speak of smooth "flowing" look.

I have always believed the word "flowing" is synonymous with "motion."
Some time, look at a picture with a Vette that has bsm, and one that doesn't, and the one with it looks like it is moving, even though stationary.
Besides providing protection to the doors, bsm definitely gives the appearance of motion.
Naturally it is a personal choice.

Bob.
I have compared for 14 years now and I still feel the same...sorry...

I really prefer my car not look like it is moving when it is stationary...I guess that could happen if I were drunk and looking at my Vette when it was stationary though...

most of the time when someone flings a door open they hit above or below the BSM because their door is not one smooth curve at the edge of their door...especially " redneck" trucks ...they treat Vettes like renters treat rental property...and i know you understand what I am saying...right Bob?

also my definition of "flowing " would be nice straight body lines uninterrupted not ...cut in half by a wall...I wasn't equating "flowing" with a waterfall or anything else moving...
Old 02-15-2018, 01:58 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

My 98 Coupe didn't come with them. The BLACK car looked excellent without them!!

When I purchased the 02 ZO6, it came with the side moldings. That Electron Blue car looks excellent with them. !!

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 02-15-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:59 PM
Vettemaster1985
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by usgecko
I will happily remove my BSMs if someone wants to give me the money to respray my door.

When I removed them it was clear someone in the past had resprayed the door without taking them off...
Mine did the same thing wondering if it was factory error I was so pissed I had to re mount it back on
Old 02-15-2018, 05:59 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
My 98 Coupe didn't come with them. The BLACK car looked excellent without them!!

When I purchased the 02 ZO6, it came with the side moldings. That Electron Blue car looks excellent with them. !!
Who the hello Pete would ever disagree with Bill Curlee?
Not me...maybe disagree with the other Bill.....

Last edited by Yello95; 02-16-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Vettemaster1985
Mine did the same thing wondering if it was factory error I was so pissed I had to re mount it back on
NOT a factory error.. The factory ADDS them to the door. If there was a problem with the door at assembly, it would have been addressed by removing the moldings and repainting the door.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:22 PM
Vettemaster1985
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
NOT a factory error.. The factory ADDS them to the door. If there was a problem with the door at assembly, it would have been addressed by removing the moldings and repainting the door.

Bill
Possibly the adhesive they used was the flaw, I have removed molding like this before and never pulled up any clear coat or paint, and so far myself and another have the same issue on the vette..., Factory Error...
Old 02-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Was your door repainted and did they just spray over the bsms? If not, did you heat up the moldig enough and use dental floss/tape correctly? The factory did nothing wrong with how they added the bsms....they made a mistake by even offering them in the first place...
Old 02-15-2018, 08:36 PM
Vettemaster1985
Instructor

:
Originally Posted by Yello95
Was your door repainted and did they just spray over the bsms? If not, did you heat up the moldig enough and use dental floss/tape correctly? The factory did nothing wrong with how they added the bsms....they made a mistake by even offering them in the first place...
If the clear coat is dry and baked on as it should nothing should pull it off. .. so I go to the same statement, GM did something, put on too soon , used poor adhesive in certain case's meaning earlier models then relized after a customer said yea, I'll take that vette but only if you take off that ugly molding, then they swing the car around to the body shop then oh ****, we're pulling off 1/2 the clear coat wit this molding... then new glue or new protocall was put into place going forward. .... oh and most of all its GM.... They have their fair share of defects and recalls. . And any one that has a gm or has ever worked on a gm says otherwise your lying or your getting paid to stay hush hush...lol where's my rant emoji

Last edited by Vettemaster1985; 02-15-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:23 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

At this point, what difference does it make?
Some like bsm, while others don't.
Like I said above, it is a personal choice.

Just like many Vette owners wouldn't be caught dead with the metal louvers over the tail lights.
My car has them, and I really like the look.

One strange thing though, I have yet to see one Vette owner that likes them, but I have had many compliments on them from people that don't own a Vette.
The most popular comment is, "I like the tail lights".
These folks don't know if the car came that way, or are an after market add on.
Again, personal choice, as with many things people do to their vette's.

Bob.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:00 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by calguy
At this point, what difference does it make?
Some like bsm, while others don't.
Like I said above, it is a personal choice.

Just like many Vette owners wouldn't be caught dead with the metal louvers over the tail lights.
My car has them, and I really like the look.

One strange thing though, I have yet to see one Vette owner that likes them, but I have had many compliments on them from people that don't own a Vette.
The most popular comment is, "I like the tail lights".
These folks don't know if the car came that way, or are an after market add on.
Again, personal choice, as with many things people do to their vette's.

Bob.
I like the metal louvers over the tail lights...I have had halo leds for ever but I like the look of the metal louvers....
Do the louvers make your Vette look like its moving while parked?
Old 02-16-2018, 12:02 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

:
If the clear coat is dry and baked on as it should nothing should pull it off. .. so I go to the same statement, GM did something, put on too soon , used poor adhesive in certain case's meaning earlier models then relized after a customer said yea, I'll take that vette but only if you take off that ugly molding, then they swing the car around to the body shop then oh ****, we're pulling off 1/2 the clear coat wit this molding... then new glue or new protocall was put into place going forward. .... oh and most of all its GM.... They have their fair share of defects and recalls. . And any one that has a gm or has ever worked on a gm says otherwise your lying or your getting paid to stay hush hush...lol where's my rant emoji
At the end of the day>>>yank them off and just have a body shop fix the paint...you will be happy with the results...
Old 02-16-2018, 10:40 AM
Principal Lewis
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would like to remove the BSM from my 03 MY Z. However, I am very worried about fade because the previous owner broke the badge on the trunk lid. When I removed the remainder of the the emblem to replace with a new one you could see a perfect outline (darker) of the badge. It did make it easy to ensure proper placement of the new one.
All the threads that I have seen on this are older. Has anyone removed their BSM on MY recently?

Last edited by Principal Lewis; 02-16-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:04 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Principal Lewis
I would like to remove the BSM from my 03 MY Z. However, I am very worried about fade because the previous owner broke the badge on the trunk lid. When I removed the remainder of the the emblem to replace with a new one you could see a perfect outline (darker) of the badge. It did make it easy to ensure proper placement of the new one.
All the threads that I have seen on this are older. Has anyone removed their BSM on MY recently?
don't be afraid to do it...if there is any fade, then it can be fixed easily at a body shop at a low cost...and you will love it

Nice smooth flowing look...

Get notified of new replies

To 2003 body question

Old 02-16-2018, 12:35 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 341 Likes on 213 Posts

Looks like hell without them.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:52 PM
OCDvetteman
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

For me it's about body style: I like the BSMs on the coupe only, all others I think it looks better without. I have a coupe so I like mine!
Old 02-16-2018, 04:33 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ztheusa
Looks like hell without them.

Quick Reply: 2003 body question