C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping my corvette

Old 02-14-2018, 10:07 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 439 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
When I had a car shipped cross country from the West Coast to the East Coast, the driver told me that while crossing Arizona he had to ramp down the car so federal agents could look in the trunk for drugs or whatever. Is this done on a regular basis or was that the luck of the draw for my car?
I'd say that's luck of the draw, unless they had a full-blown operation going, which means no one is exempt. You have to understand, that California, AZ, NM, and Texas all border Mexico, so the chances of getting stopped by federal agents goes up exponentially because of all the illegal activity. I've been stopped twice for searches, once at a port facility and near a border. It happens to all of us that drive commercially at one time or another.
The following users liked this post:
laurent_zo6 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 11:36 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

I thought I would share some photos of the work I do, and alleviate maybe some questions and concerns about the car-hauling industry and the care taken in handling/loading/unloading the vehicles. Any other driver in this small segment of trucking has to be good at what their doing, or their not going to be doing it for long, more so with the elite cars of the world. As I mentioned previously, the liability is too great to jack around with shortcuts and impatience.

This is the soft-side enclosed 9-car transport that I drive, and is 1 of 2 9-car hauler's that Plycar operates. All the rest of their trucks are standard hard side 6-7 car capacity. Just for reference, if you have a really low-slung car or older classic, I would highly recommend you insist on a transport with liftgate. They can still be done on a 9-car for the most part but, it's certainly more a of a challenge/difficulty.

As I was referring in the above narrative, the care taken and precautions needed to insure no vehicle damage. Here we have a perfect example of what the clearance is of an Aston Martin Vanquish, and it's low. So low in fact that without the $8 I spent at Lowe's for 2x4's the car's carbon fiber fascia would have been eating pavement. Not good for car just over 400K....Money well spent for the boards.

Here is a picture of a Ferrari 488 that I picked up from Houston last summer, that ended up going to a friend of capevettes in Cape Cod. Although, I personally did not deliver this car, one of my associates did. However, I did bring it from Houston to Long Island unscathed. Just another example of one of those cars you have to watch your clearances and width.

Just a few cars I picked up in Limerick, PA earlier today....3 Callaway conversion Yukon's or Tahoe's and a BMW....One of the more challenging loads to do because of the height, width, and length of these vehicles...It's packed tight but, all have plenty of clearance. Unfortunately, I have to go into Dundalk tomorrow and pick up 2 Aston Martin's to finish out my load. Everything will have to be unloaded to get those 2 last cars on. Perks of the job, lol!!

Just a picture of me, with "Code Blue III" last August just outside of Atlanta....I'd be honored to transport any Forum members car to wherever you desire it to go....Let us transport for you....

Yello95 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:54 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,542 Likes on 2,158 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Tom, I would be more than happy to have you transport any car I might purchase in the future. All of my past experiences have been with Intercity, and they do a great job.
My buddy loves his 488, just doesn't drive it enough.
If I buy another car, my wife may move me out into the barn.
Best Regards,
Paul

Last edited by capevettes; 02-15-2018 at 03:55 PM.
C5R USA (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:14 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by C5R USA
Just a picture of me, with "Code Blue III" last August just outside of Atlanta....I'd be honored to transport any Forum members car to wherever you desire it to go....Let us transport for you....

Very cool, will keep you in mind as well!
C5R USA (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by C5R USA
I thought I would share some photos of the work I do, and alleviate maybe some questions and concerns about the car-hauling industry and the care taken in handling/loading/unloading the vehicles. Any other driver in this small segment of trucking has to be good at what their doing, or their not going to be doing it for long, more so with the elite cars of the world. As I mentioned previously, the liability is too great to jack around with shortcuts and impatience.

This is the soft-side enclosed 9-car transport that I drive, and is 1 of 2 9-car hauler's that Plycar operates. All the rest of their trucks are standard hard side 6-7 car capacity. Just for reference, if you have a really low-slung car or older classic, I would highly recommend you insist on a transport with liftgate. They can still be done on a 9-car for the most part but, it's certainly more a of a challenge/difficulty.

As I was referring in the above narrative, the care taken and precautions needed to insure no vehicle damage. Here we have a perfect example of what the clearance is of an Aston Martin Vanquish, and it's low. So low in fact that without the $8 I spent at Lowe's for 2x4's the car's carbon fiber fascia would have been eating pavement. Not good for car just over 400K....Money well spent for the boards.

Here is a picture of a Ferrari 488 that I picked up from Houston last summer, that ended up going to a friend of capevettes in Cape Cod. Although, I personally did not deliver this car, one of my associates did. However, I did bring it from Houston to Long Island unscathed. Just another example of one of those cars you have to watch your clearances and width.

Just a few cars I picked up in Limerick, PA earlier today....3 Callaway conversion Yukon's or Tahoe's and a BMW....One of the more challenging loads to do because of the height, width, and length of these vehicles...It's packed tight but, all have plenty of clearance. Unfortunately, I have to go into Dundalk tomorrow and pick up 2 Aston Martin's to finish out my load. Everything will have to be unloaded to get those 2 last cars on. Perks of the job, lol!!

Good Lord Thomas...waaaaay impressive....I must really be goofy....I did not realize this is what you did...even after you saying you were away from home a lot...
You have an incredible amount of responsibility...
First class for sure...
C5R USA (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:22 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by capevettes
Tom, I would be more than happy to have you transport any car I might purchase in the future. All of my past experiences have been with Intercity, and they do a great job.
My buddy loves his 488, just doesn't drive it enough.
If I buy another car, my wife may move me out into the barn.
Best Regards,
Paul
Paul, I appreciate the vote of confidence if/when I ever got the opportunity to transport a car for you, I'd surely treat it well....I look at it this way, if you've had great service from Intercity for this long, no sense in switching. I would imagine you are a very valued customer with Intercity considering the inventory you have. However, if something falls thru with Intercity or a vehicle that you want is out of their area. We'll surely get it for you.

I'm glad your buddy is enjoying his Ferrari, even though infrequently. I'm just glad I don't have to load/unload that car on a daily basis, it's nerve wracking,

The old "wife is going to move you out to the barn routine" Lol!! It's all good Paul, trust me I've heard that many times for other car collector's. My opinion....Keep buying them,
Thanks again...

Originally Posted by Andrew
Very cool, will keep you in mind as well!
Thanks Andrew, I appreciate that. Look forward to transporting a car for you someday.

Originally Posted by Yello95
Good Lord Thomas...waaaaay impressive....I must really be goofy....I did not realize this is what you did...even after you saying you were away from home a lot...
You have an incredible amount of responsibility...
First class for sure...
Thanks Kenny for the kudos. Yes, there is quite a bit of responsibility and accountability, obviously it goes with the territory. 4-5-6 weeks is usually the frame time I'm gone. It's definitely not a life for someone that likes being home every night or having a grandiose social life. It's just not logistically feasible or economical for the customers or the company to be going home on a routine basis when I'm traveling 48-states. Last thing a customer wants to hear from a company is, "the driver went home for a few days with your car on his truck but, he'll get it to you in about a week". See how long that company stays in business....

Overall it's a great job, sure there's downsides to it just like anything else in life but, I actually LOVE what I do. The money is not bad either.
The following 2 users liked this post by C5R USA:
capevettes (02-16-2018), Yello95 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 02:36 AM
SAYUNCL
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have used Auto Shipping Group twice to ship cars and was very pleased with the entire experience. They gave me a great price and I spoke to the drivers daily to get updates. They shipped my C5 from Dallas to DC and my daughter's 15 Jetta from LA to DC. Very professional, took care of our cars, no damage and both times the drivers made great time.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:51 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 288 Likes on 221 Posts

Default O-no not shipping

Just make sure the people you talk to are the same people going to ship you Corvette .. Why you ask??? some will sub it out to who knows ... DO NOT ASUME they will be the ones .. Been there done that .. It happens ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shipping my corvette