Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to trash the Blose system..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:54 AM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow 😲 that's awesome ! I'm considering the sound upgrades once I get my car back from the shop. So many ideas and products out there the sky's the limit. 😊

Last edited by red03vette; 03-21-2018 at 01:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OleStraightStick (03-23-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:35 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by OleStraightStick
Nice! Ya installed it yet? Gonna sound good!
Going to finish it up this weekend hopefully. Just need to install the head unit and run rca cables, then fire it up!
Old 03-22-2018, 05:06 AM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by EVLGTO
Going to finish it up this weekend hopefully. Just need to install the head unit and run rca cables, then fire it up!
**** yea! lemme know wacha think! I’ve never revamped a complete audio system prior to this (always just added subs and new headunits), and I can definitely see why folks replace all the speakers and amplify them.. the clarity is amazing
Old 03-22-2018, 07:52 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Bose

Originally Posted by EVLGTO
I've also decided to upgrade a little. I'm keeping the stock bose head unit and front speakers for now. I'm adding one of those cheap $70 sub boxes that takes a 12" woofer, doing the Ipod jack mod, adding an amp, doing the Ipac-vet1 mod and replacing the rear speakers with some Alpines I've had for a long time in my garage. I actually already have everything from previous vehicles (amp, woofer & speakers). I'll see how this works out. I just want a little bass and more sound.

The stock stereo is junk. My stock C4 bose gold sounded better than my c5 bose. Although I like listening to the thunder of the LS1, I still like to have some decent tunes on a road trip. I use to be a hardcore audiophile back in the early 90's. Not going hardcore this time, just a little more than stock.
You know, the cd player went out of my Bose unit. I never liked the sound of the system. I ordered and Alpine stereo w/CD player to replace the Bose head unit. Had to buy an adapter harness and even then, it was difficult to install. But the finished product is far superior to the original with only the head unit replacement . Much better sound.Hope this helps someone. The RH Factor

Last edited by kh400; 03-22-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:43 AM
GSTexas
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i had a shop do mine a few years ago. Simple set up. Put in a single din alpine, 5 ch amp mounted behind the pass. seat, replaced 4 stock speakers and mounted 1 10" sub in the rear hatch using the cubby hole as the box. Sounds amazing and zero regrets. As stated the stock stuff was poo!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:46 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Looks good. I have my eye on the same Sony head unit. How's the carplay interface? You using google or apple? Your thoughts on the Metra bezel? Personally I like the open cupholder and ashtray (and the price) but I haven't seen the finish in person. Nice touch on the tweeter placement.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:07 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Time for a C-5
Looks good. I have my eye on the same Sony head unit. How's the carplay interface? You using google or apple? Your thoughts on the Metra bezel? Personally I like the open cupholder and ashtray (and the price) but I haven't seen the finish in person. Nice touch on the tweeter placement.
Really liking the Sony.. the simplicity is nice.. haven’t even tried Bluetooth yet, I just plug my phone in and go.. the CarPlay is fantastic.. if the pioneer 4100 in my truck has CarPlay, I haven’t figured out how to get it to work like it does on this Sony.. I’m still learning.. Using Apple (iPhone 6 plus).. and the Metra bezel is fine with me.. I can see why some might not like it (different texture and slightly different shade of black), but I think it looks good.. my vette isn’t a show car and it’s mainly just a grocery getter/weekend warrior.. most folks who aren’t Vette enthusiasts probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference unless ya pointed it out to them.. & thanks on the tweeter placement! I saw it here on the forum
Old 03-23-2018, 04:38 PM
moncal90
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG
Well crap where was this when I did my DD install a few years ago.... I think I need to redo my install now.

Btw, I just got through the whole post here. Nicely done!

Last edited by moncal90; 03-23-2018 at 04:46 PM.
OleStraightStick (03-24-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 05:29 PM
Awkwardcrane
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Where did you get this bracket kit?

Never mind, I figured it out.

Last edited by Awkwardcrane; 03-23-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Okay StraightStick, I just installed the same Sony headunit with a Metra, sub, amp, etc. Everything is great, but...my Carplay autoloads to the Sony half+/- the time. Bluetooth is consistent but the carplay connects inconsistently. Any issue with your carplay/Sony? Tips? I'm on an Andriod phone.

BTW, I have the same black sub box and I found this paint on Amazon (SEM 15753 Light Oak Color Coat - 12 oz). It's a VERY close match to the light oak carpet. Obviously the carpet is a bit crunchy but so what.

Cheers to concert sound!
OleStraightStick (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 05:21 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Okay StraightStick, I just installed the same Sony headunit with a Metra, sub, amp, etc. Everything is great, but...my Carplay autoloads to the Sony half+/- the time. Bluetooth is consistent but the carplay connects inconsistently. Any issue with your carplay/Sony? Tips? I'm on an Andriod phone.

BTW, I have the same black sub box and I found this paint on Amazon (SEM 15753 Light Oak Color Coat - 12 oz). It's a VERY close match to the light oak carpet. Obviously the carpet is a bit crunchy but so what.

Cheers to concert sound!
Hmm I’m not real sure about why your CarPlay is finicky like that.. mine loads right up every time I plug my phone in.. still haven’t even tried connecting with Bluetooth lol.. maybe it has something to do with Android? Not sure tho..

& thanks for the tip on the paint! I’ll probably do that.. considered it but wasn’t sure about painting a carpet box.. would ya mind posting a pic?

& how was the install of that head unit for ya? Aside from shimming it to get the proper depth, as well as vertical and horizontal adjustment, it really wasn’t too bad of an install.. I think the fact that the “meat” of the unit is a single din really helped..
Old 05-26-2018, 06:22 AM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

The install was does by a local audio shop and came out great. Their component prices were better than anything I could find on the internet and I'm not entirely comfortable with electronics. They tucked my USB connection inside the console box so my phone is away while driving and my amp under the speaker box. A couple pics below.

Last edited by Time for a C-5; 05-26-2018 at 06:27 AM.
OleStraightStick (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 02:42 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

The install was does by a local audio shop and came out great. Their component prices were better than anything I could find on the internet and I'm not entirely comfortable with electronics. They tucked my USB connection inside the console box so my phone is away while driving and my amp under the speaker box. A couple pics below.

Awesome.. it looks great! & I like that sub box
Old 05-26-2018, 04:47 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Crosis
I want music. An exhaust note does nothing for driving pleasure.
I hear ya there!! There's nothing better than the top down, the music cranked up, and going through the gears up and down the mountain roads around here. Hell, I'm 60 years old! Gimme the Allman Brothers over exhaust pipes any day!

Quick Reply: Time to trash the Blose system..