Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a carry permit on here, and how do you carry in your Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 09:12 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone with a carry permit on here, and how do you carry in your Vette?

Evening everyone, one subject I haven't seen anyone discuss is legally carrying a firearm in our cars. For those of us that do, how do you carry? I mean on body carry, not transporting to the range or whatnot in a container. Ive been worried about carrying at the standard 4 o clock position as I don't want to dig into the leather or the bolsters, so I've defaulted to ankle carry, but that has limited what I can wear and it isn't always the optimal choice. Im mostly looking to start a conversation and get a little group think going to see what my corvette brothers and sisters do. I would rather not get into the gun control debate, more just how those of us who LEGALLY carry chose to do so. I hope everyone is having a nice week, and will be looking forward to your feedback.
-Gabe

Popular Reply

02-16-2018, 08:18 PM
98Corvette!
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I recommend that you always carry the weapon on your person. That way you always know where it is. When you get out of the car, it is with you. You never know where and when a threat will surface. Find a weapon that is easy and comfortable to carry like a smaller Glock or S&W Shield. I recommend 9mm or .40 cal. Those rounds have plenty of stopping power and you can usually carry more rounds more comfortably. Get an extra magazine and carry that where it is also accessible. Don't be fooled by a larger caliber because it is all about shot placement. The threat will keep coming if your shots are not on target. The more rounds you can send to the target, the better chance of neutralizing the threat.

As an LEO, I have seen many weapons stolen from cars because well meaning gun owners who "forgot" their gun in the car. That's just another illegal gun on the streets for us.

Once you pick a comfortable gun and holster, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Muscle memory is everything when faced with a stressful encounter. We practice all the time. Practice drawing while seated in the car. (unloaded of course). If a threat is coming at you, shoot right though the windshield. The bullet will only make a hole and will loose only a small amount of velocity. I have done it.

ALWAYS let an Officer know when you are carrying a weapon and wait for commands. Stay Alive!

Not trying to insult anyone's skill level, just trying to offer good advice from our side. Most of us support responsible gun ownership.
Stay safe everyone.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:11 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

When I have a passenger I have it on me, with my shirt covering it I have not had an issue with any part of the rig messing up the leather. When i'm alone I stuff the holster and gun between the center console and passenger seat.
The following users liked this post:
GabeNation (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 PM
Rexde1
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I usually carry a small revolver in my pocket and put it in the console when driving. I want to get a pocket made on the back of the passenger seat to hold one. It would be easy to get to.
GabeNation (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:19 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Permit holder here for decades.

Most of the time it is OWB in paddle holster. I usually adjust it to about the 2'o clock position for comfort and the ability to draw. This keeps it away from the seat belt as well. Hence the use of a paddle-style holster.

If traveling long-distance on the interstate it is usually unholstered and immediately behind the passenger headrest just behind the partition. It is well within reach, and given the lesser-risk environment of the interstate, well within limits of acquisition.

One bit of warning for new(er) carriers:

Only through training will you REALLY understand how much the steering wheel gets in the way and how quickly you can drop your weapon or at least foul your ability to draw and aim. There are classes to build skills or you can just practice (safely) quite often as this is an extremely perishable skill-set.

Have fun, be safe and ENJOY

Last edited by ALLEGRO; 02-15-2018 at 10:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ALLEGRO:
GabeNation (02-16-2018), IMXCITD (02-17-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:37 PM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I would like to be packing some heat myself, can't trust no-one these days, especially driving a expensive sports car.
GabeNation (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 12:09 AM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

I have used Gold Star Holsters on a number of custom rigs, they have a line specifically for cars. Great people to work with!

https://goldstarholsters.net/

https://goldstarholsters.net/product...obile-holster/

Last edited by Bajaholic; 02-16-2018 at 12:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bajaholic:
GabeNation (02-16-2018), Not4spd (02-17-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 12:23 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

not really a quick-draw option, but mine's usually under my right leg in a OWB holster in that little space between the seat rail & the tunnel
GabeNation (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 02:36 AM
GabeNation
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone! I love how many of us are here! I had no clue! Ive had my permit for years, and when I drove sedans and trucks my standard 4 o clock spot was fine, shortly before getting the Vette I found myself going the ankle route more and more for comfort and less chance of printing, then 100% ankle after I got the vette. But that was just a Kahr PM9, a little bitty thing that would hide there well but is a finicky thing at times. In my county there was a goofy restriction where you could only have 3 handguns on a CCW at a time, and the options I had on there led to me only carrying that one. But as of last fall you can have an unlimited number, so I'm going to be carrying some of my larger framed pistols on occasion with IWB my only option, and its had me worried about Evett's leather .
-Gabe
Old 02-16-2018, 06:59 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts

I have a Galco leather concealed holster that places my weapon comfortably tucked under/near my left arm pit. It is great for driving, and stays out of my range of normal motion, as well as stays out of sight if I wear a light jacket. I typically carry a gen-4 Glock model.17, which is 8" long (in my opinion a pretty big gun for a conceal carry) and It is quite manageable while driving. It is not my favorite holster though; I only utilize it if I take the Vette, or go on a photo shoot. Gotta have something on me with $7K+ in camera gear I tote around these days!

I got pulled over some weeks ago with it, and the officer couldn't even tell it was on me. I just gripped the wheel and informed him I had a weapon on me, and when he said I could, I gave him all my stuff including my concealed weapons permit, and every thing was totally cool. Didn't even get a ticket.

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 02-16-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:00 AM
Booger789
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I carry a S&W titanium airweight38 in my front pocket. it rides in the vette between my seat and the tunnel in a leather holster i have wedged in there.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:01 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I installed a cheap holster that I screwed to the knee bolster just below the ignition key. It's out of sight and easy to reach and pull out. Then when I leave the car I just put the firearm back in my OWB holster.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:40 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

No permit here (LA) but a few of my LEO buddies have something like this.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:18 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
No permit here (LA) but a few of my LEO buddies have something like this.
I have that exact holster in my 2500hd.. in the vette I usually just lay it in the passenger seat while driving
Old 02-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by OleStraightStick
I have that exact holster in my 2500hd.. in the vette I usually just lay it in the passenger seat while driving
Considering how often my phone flies off the seat down into the floormat area I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. I don't see why it couldn't be done on the vette too, has a similar shaped knee bolster.

Then again on the vettes low front seat you could always fab a mount to the seat rail bolts snd keep it under your legs, would be easy to draw and stealthy.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:59 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

I just keep mine in my holster on my belt. Crossbreed and Beretta PX4.
I got pulled over by one of Iowa's finest in the Fall and I let him know I was carrying. He friendly recommended I NOT carry it on person when in the vehicle. He actually thanked me for being a responsible citizen and carrying.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:34 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLEGRO
Permit holder here for decades.

Most of the time it is OWB in paddle holster. I usually adjust it to about the 2'o clock position for comfort and the ability to draw. This keeps it away from the seat belt as well. Hence the use of a paddle-style holster.

If traveling long-distance on the interstate it is usually unholstered and immediately behind the passenger headrest just behind the partition. It is well within reach, and given the lesser-risk environment of the interstate, well within limits of acquisition.

One bit of warning for new(er) carriers:

Only through training will you REALLY understand how much the steering wheel gets in the way and how quickly you can drop your weapon or at least foul your ability to draw and aim. There are classes to build skills or you can just practice (safely) quite often as this is an extremely perishable skill-set.

Have fun, be safe and ENJOY
And it's way worse for us left handers!
Old 02-16-2018, 05:38 PM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

G19 - under my left thigh

Regards
Chip

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone with a carry permit on here, and how do you carry in your Vette?

Old 02-16-2018, 06:16 PM
Rexde1
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
I just keep mine in my holster on my belt. Crossbreed and Beretta PX4.
I got pulled over by one of Iowa's finest in the Fall and I let him know I was carrying. He friendly recommended I NOT carry it on person when in the vehicle. He actually thanked me for being a responsible citizen and carrying.
One of my favorite guns to shoot but I don’t use it for carry.
knewblewkorvette (02-18-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 06:45 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Holster not required.
Attached Images  
GabeNation (02-17-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,042 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Default Ccw

I carry a G42 in my pocket in a holster. When I'm driving it rides next to me in the console.

Quick Reply: Anyone with a carry permit on here, and how do you carry in your Vette?