Sponsored by:

open recall 14 years old

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 01:21 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
I had the GM "final" fix done by the dealer at no cost to me in 2010 - car was a '98 MN6, built in '97. My point to them was that I had had their previous fixes done, so it should not have failed. Chevrolet apparently agreed and paid the tab.

The final fix, by the way was to remove the locking mechanism, so no column lock. And no problems since - I would not expect there to be, given the locking "bits" are gone.
I did something similar to my car, by myself. I removed the steering wheel, then the "lock plate". I then chucked the lock plate in a lathe, and remove the portion of it that contained the "detents" that the lock pin indexed in. That left nothing for the lock pin to hang up on. I then re-installed the plate, because it's needed to occupy a certain amount of space on the column, and then re-installed the wheel. That was about 13-14 years ago, and so far, no issues....
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 08:44 AM
johnhm85
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good morning all....I am not even sure i am posting this correctly. I have read through these forums for years and for some reason never joined?! I am officially a member now!
Soooo...i have a 99 vette and just replaced the AC compressor due to a leak...upon picking up the vehicle got the infamous "service column lock" and "pull key and wait 10 sec". I had no idea what that meant so straight to the forums to start reading! After reading, i decided to buy the column lock bypass kit at the local "corvette world" in Houston and install for an "easy" fix. So i have now installed this part but still no luck. I put a new battery on it 3 days ago as well.
Does anyone have any advice for me??? Please help!
BTW...the steering wheel is stuck "unlocked"....the wheel turns freely but still have this issues.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:16 PM
johnhm85
Heel & Toe

Thank you for your response. I may end up having to do that. Seeing some other things on here about the relay in foot well that could possibly help me out which I believe is what you mean when you say undo what was done already. Wish me luck!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:52 AM
johnhm85
Heel & Toe

just posted in the other forum...the LMC5 worked perfectly!! Thanks to all for the support!!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:57 AM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Don't go to gm. Install lmc5. Done.
The only real answer.

Quick Reply: open recall 14 years old