Maaco Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:13 AM
C52002Vert
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Route99
So, I'll be the other side of the coin.
Many years ago the clear coat was peeling from my 9 year old C4 daily driver. While I was out of town, my two sons had Maaco paint the car as a surprise for me. They paid about $600 in 1995 so it was apparently Maaco's better quality paint job. The only issue was Maaco forgot to flip the headlights to paint the part of the headlight bezel that is rotated inward when closed. Took it back, they took care of it. Kept that C4 another 12 years and the paint still looked good (and held up better than the original GM paint job).
Guess it really depends on the franchisee and whether they are committed to doing a good job.
Was it as good as a $10,000 paint job from a Corvette paint expert? No. Was it show quality? No. Was it a good paint job for a daily driver? Yes.
Am I universally recommending Maaco? No. But, if you want an inexpensive paint job (the old “5 foot” paint job), then maybe they are worth considering. BUT, hang around when the cars are coming out of the paint shop and see what they look like. Ask for references. Google that shop and see what comments there are. See if there are any BBB complaints, and if so, were they resolved to the customer’s satisfaction.
Good luck whatever direction you go for painting.
Don't know if I was misunderstood but I DID NOT take my car to Macco, I took it to a reputable shop semi locally. They did a real good job for me, I would not go to a "chain" shop as they are going to be "cheap" and that is not what you (I) want.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:27 AM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 666 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

One other possibility is if you have a technical or trade school in your area. Some of these will prep and paint cars as training for the students. You pay for the paint and other materials, and typically the labor costs are free. Yes, the painting is by students, but they are overseen and supervised by instructors. Some of these schools offer 2-4 year programs so they are pretty well versed in the trade by the time they finish.
Some of these shops turn out pretty decent paint jobs, but like any other trade or business, you need to check the quality of their work before you turn your car over to them.
I did this in Orlando many years ago. Think it was a school called Orlando Technical Institute. If I remember correctly, I paid about $75 (in 1966 dollars) for all the materials and got a presentable paint job.
Just another option.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:53 AM
acebowler1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my canary yellow '75 corvette painted by Corvettes West here in Sarasota,Fl. it was about $2500 but it came out great and the paint lasted about 17 yrs. before showing any deterioration. My black C5Z will run me about $5000 today at the same shop. I may consider MAACO for my '97 Rav4 work vehicle though.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 AM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

I had my '66 repainted back to its original color - Marina Blue. They took the body down to the glass, gel coated it, sanded, primered, color applied, then clear coat. They had it 6 months and it cost $11,000.00...
Old 02-21-2018, 10:26 AM
Stephen Meredith
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

One other possibility is if you have a technical or trade school in your area. Some of these will prep and paint cars as training for the students. You pay for the paint and other materials, and typically the labor costs are free. Yes, the painting is by students, but they are overseen and supervised by instructors. Some of these schools offer 2-4 year programs so they are pretty well versed in the trade by the time they finish.
Some of these shops turn out pretty decent paint jobs, but like any other trade or business, you need to check the quality of their work before you turn your car over to them.
I did this in Orlando many years ago. Think it was a school called Orlando Technical Institute. If I remember correctly, I paid about $75 (in 1966 dollars) for all the materials and got a presentable paint job.
Just another option.
This is a much better option. This is what I went to college for. While there we did a lot of custom work on cars. A c6z, a few 1st gen camaros, an original hummer, a couple classic British convertibles, etc.

The devil is in the details of the prep work, that is also 80% of what you're charged. I mixed a one-off pearl for my LS swapped Nissan my last semester there. The paint materials ran me $800ish with my discounts. Had I charged for the job prep/paint/labor, it would easily been a $9,000+ job.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Bubba1951
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Good Job

A quite a few years ago I had them paint a firebird. I did all the prep work , they just did the painting. They did a very good job, car looked great. I sold it a few months later, so I don’t know how well it held up. Anybody that does a lot of spraying should be able to do a pretty good job. It’s the prep that makes a good paint job.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Just another option.
I've gone this route as well, turned out great. More expensive materials you buy, the better results you'll get.
Originally Posted by Bubba1951
A quite a few years ago I had them paint a firebird. I did all the prep work , they just did the painting. They did a very good job, car looked great. I sold it a few months later, so I don’t know how well it held up. Anybody that does a lot of spraying should be able to do a pretty good job. It’s the prep that makes a good paint job.
This too, most Maaco jobs are for when you do the majority of the prep yourself, or you have a new part with no prep needed. However if you can do acceptable prep work yourself, you can easily spray the car too. I'v got show quality finishes from spraying outside, you just have to be precise with the details.

If not, spend a grand on a wrap and call it a day.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:00 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

A C5 needing an entire paint job these days is grounds for totaling the car. The cost is so high compared to what the vehicle is worth, it's just not worth it. I'd consider doing a wrap...
Old 02-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

I also forgot to mention, if you do decide to go the tech school route that people are wise to this now a days and there is a significant wait time in many areas
Old 02-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm in the Sacramento area. I have looked around, and shockingly enough, the highest rated Maaco around here is the Stockton one. 56 reviews and 4.3 stars. Pretty damn good considering the next closest is Roseville with 4.2 and 24 reviews. I plan on having both give me a quote. I also spoke to both about doing my own prep, and Roseville won't paint it, but Stockton will. So we shall see.

My car is a 97 with 163,000. If I do decide to go the paint route, I will be replacing both front fenders and have debated on replacing rocker panels. Unfortunately for me, I didn't check these when I bought the car and the rocker panels are hacked. They have been cracked and body fillered in and all sorts of roughness. I'll get pics later. Either way, they aren't good.

I looked into a wrap, but where I am I haven't found a solid shop or recommendation. I only want to spend like 1-2k, just not sure if the wrap is really worth it. But we shall see. I will check to see if there's a school near me. Maybe UTI or something like that.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:40 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 659 Likes on 528 Posts

If you do go with Maaco, by all, all means return to let us know the results, and definitely with pictures!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:41 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 659 Likes on 528 Posts

If you do go with Maaco, you simply must return with result pictures!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:51 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Scholioso

My car is a 97 with 163,000. If I do decide to go the paint route, I will be replacing both front fenders and have debated on replacing rocker panels. Unfortunately for me, I didn't check these when I bought the car and the rocker panels are hacked. They have been cracked and body fillered in and all sorts of roughness. I'll get pics later. Either way, they aren't good.

Thanks guys.
Rocker panels are bonded ( glued ) to the frame. I have yet to see anyone try and replace these as a DYI...definitely a body shop job.
So if you think paint jobs are expensive, get an estimate on what that Rocker Panel replacement job would cost

As far as Maaco is concerned....ya get what you pay for.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:12 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I think an interesting option might be to purchase two used front fenders already painted in the same factory color as your car...

I think they just bolt up...

As far as the rockers? I'm not usually a fan of this type of look but maybe you do?

https://www.ebay.com/i/152867428863?...D1447603033232

This suggestion if it's just the front fenders and rockers are the only problem....

Then you don't have to paint the whole car?

Fwiw..if you did nt notice the paint or the rockers when you picked up the 163k miles on corvette maybe it's not worth bothering to fix...

It's like when your dating some really hot chick and after awhile you begin to see a few of their flaws...doesn't detract from their beauty...same with your c5..just accept the minor flaws as part of their charm.

I like it when vehicles have a little bit of a driven and enjoyed appearance...

Last edited by JerriVette; 02-21-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:27 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
I had a Bronco painted at Maaco back in the mid 90s. Within six months the paint on the hood was peeling off. I went back to the shop and they said it was the Ford primer underneath the paint, and not their fault. I almost got into a fist fight with the manager.

Note that I didn't get their cheap service. All told I spent almost 2K OTD for this job 20+ years ago.

This is a corvette we are talking about. Don't cheap out on it.

Shakey
I had the same problem with MAACO doing a Mustang. Paint pealed off in large flakes. Their contract/warranty/BBB agreement forces arbitration to settle issues and they hire the arbitrator. Don't do it even for a driver!
Old 02-22-2018, 12:40 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Wrap it. The age of paint is coming to an end. Painters have reached a criminally outrageous price and you will see in the near future that wraps will be the standard.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:09 AM
SAYUNCL
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

never had an issue with a Maaco paint job...never won best paint in a show but would still show a car painted by them...with prep work Maaco quoted $3500 for my C5...definitely not dropping $10k for a paint job on a car that's worth maybe $20k on a good day

Get notified of new replies

To Maaco Paint?

Old 02-22-2018, 12:14 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Crosis
Wrap it. The age of paint is coming to an end. Painters have reached a criminally outrageous price and you will see in the near future that wraps will be the standard.
It's not so much the painters as the insurance companies. They're the ones driving costs through the roof by cutting labor payouts and increasing billables. No different than what's going on with medical insurance. As soon as auto insurance companies accept wraps as a legitimate auto finish, costs for that will skyrocket too.

5-6 years ago I painted the offroad bumper on my truck. Cost in materials was about $150.

This was my quote Monday to paint the new bumper from Pete, this is just liquid materials. Same paint system.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:31 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Nothing has changed for a good paint job but inflation, everybody is allowed to charge what the market allows. The fact he has a hard time finding anyone that will even do it (at any price) should tell you something.
If the $5k job is so profitable why are shops refusing to do repaints?

I will tell you I saw a c7 at a show last weekend ,an 1100 hp z06 no less, with a wrap, it looked good from across the show but up close it was awful. I personally have never seen a wrap that looks anywhere near as good as a custom paint job but maybe I have never seen a good one yet.

I always get caught in these paint threads......I can’t help myself.

If it was easy to do and make gobs of money there would be more competition and cheaper prices.......it’s how everything is priced.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:28 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I completely get spending money for a nice premium paint job for show quality. I get that. This car isn't it though. It's used, the parts are worn, some are broken in areas from being driven everyday. It just happens. Everyone knows plastic tabs get brittle and break overtime. Stuff like that.

Real quick question for anyone that is in auto body and works on corvettes, what do you adjust first on the front end? I'm having a hard time lining up the hood with the fenders, bumper and the headlight covers are a massive pain to get perfect. Drives me nuts.

Back to paint, I might have the car professionally dipped. A dip kit costs $550 on dipyourcar.com. A professional certified dip installer in San Fran charges $650, and they warranty for 6 months. Maybe plasti dip it, make it look nice, get pics of before and after and see if I can get a buyer. No, I'm not trying to hide anything. But everyone knows if it looks better, it sells better. I know for a fact that everyone grabs the nice gallon of milk behind the one with the slightly bent neck. Same milk.

Quick Reply: Maaco Paint?