Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slow_pokeC5 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 09:31 AM
slow_pokeC5
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Replaced the knock sensors and harness (again) last night and got the top end of the engine back together completely. Still waiting on my lower oil pan gasket to arrive. Hoping to tackle that project over a couple nights next week. I also ordered a magnetic drain plug. Being a higher mileage engine, I am sure there is some wear going on. With the plan to take the car to the track, I would like to be able to monitor how much metal is ending up on the drain plug.

Hopefully once the pan gaskets are replaced, and everything is re-sealed, this will be the last of the bugs to work out and I can finally enjoy this thing!

Old 05-21-2018, 03:13 PM
slow_pokeC5
Racer

Well, thank's to a rain out at the oval track yesterday, I had a little time to finish up the car. Got the upper and lower oil pan gaskets replaced, and today I got a chance to pick up some fresh oil, fill it up and take it for a ride. After about a 20 mile cruise, the only drips coming from under the car was condensation from the AC. No more knock sensor codes, no more oil leak. SO STOKED to have this thing back on the road. To finally do a 2nd-3rd gear pull and feel the difference from before is insane. The Frost Mail Order Tune really made a substantial difference in how this thing feels. I'll keep updating this thread through the season as I do different things. I plan to do a headlight and tail light upgrade as well as all of the other lights on the car as well as a few other things. Thanks to all those who have followed along thus far!

I took my camera with me for the cruise and stopped at my normal hiding spot to take a couple pictures. There's a slight difference in how the car sits compared to before if you compare the pictures on page 1, but there is even more of a difference in how it handles with the new Aldan coilovers and Eibach sway bars.

The following users liked this post:
Robrote (05-22-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 04:30 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Glad to see you dodged the bullet on the knock sensor and oil leak. It would have really sucked to have it sit all summer! Car looks awesome with the wheels and stance.

I have a similar code now for Knock Sensor (P0332), but my sensors are on the side of the block (LS3 swap)...I'll have to look at the harness.
slow_pokeC5 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 07:45 AM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Makes me happy to see posts like this. Car looks great!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:27 PM
slow_pokeC5
Racer

Thanks! It's dirty as sin. It's sat under 2 covers all winter and through the project, but it's in dire need of a hardcore detail and wax still.

I'm thankful I dodged a bullet with the oil leak for sure. I'm glad it was just my own stupidity with the RTV and nothing more. If I was going to need to drop the driveline, I was just going to pull the motor and start building. At least now, I can slowly start to acquire parts for the engine build.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Great to hear the bugs weren't too severe. Love the stance with the new suspension. Enjoy!

Last edited by Time for a C-5; 05-25-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:31 AM
slow_pokeC5
Racer

Enjoying the hell out of it for sure! Already talking to people about an engine build...
Old 05-25-2018, 03:22 PM
moncal90
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Dang I haven't read this for about a month I'm guessing... You made some great progress and she looks and sounds great! Enjoy the summer driving the hell out of her!
Old 05-26-2018, 02:26 PM
slow_pokeC5
Racer

Thanks man! Drove her most of the week. Going to spend Tuesday in my shop and do a little work. A few small issues to tend to but it's been mint!

Steering wheel is off to the right about 1" and toe is currently set at 0 so the car is a little darty. Going to give it 1/8" of toe out and readjust the alignment. Also going to take a little camber out of it.

Hoping to hit the track on Wednesday for SCCA Track Night in America. Should be fun!
Old 05-26-2018, 02:53 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Incredibly cool build!
Old 05-27-2018, 11:03 PM
derz_vette
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like the build went fairly smooth! That's a slick looking vette!
Old 11-24-2018, 02:38 PM
slow_pokeC5
Racer

To be continued... SOON!

Last edited by slow_pokeC5; 02-28-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Old 12-18-2018, 12:58 PM
QuickSilverZ33
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 45 Posts

Car looks great, looking forward to seeing future updates.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:17 PM
slow_pokeC5
Racer

Well, I had some bigger plans for this winter, but I decided clearing up the remaining debt I have might be a better choice. Damn responsibility always getting in the way of modding the car...

Anyway, I have been doing a little bit of work to the car this winter. Going to be a lot heavier track time for the car in 2019 so I am making few changes to how I was doing some things and a few updates from my time with the car last season to hopefully get it more well sorted for the upcoming track season.

Anyway, below is a list and I will post progress pictures once again as I go.

Current 2019 Purchase List
  • Improved Racing Oil Pan Baffle Kit
  • RW Engineering Transmission Mount
  • Updated Aldan American Front Shocks
  • Rebuilt Aldan American Rear Shocks
  • Eibach Springs (600# F 700# R rates)
  • Vararam VR-B2 Intake with Power Duct
  • Anti-Venom Mod
  • TPS Motorsports Catch Can
  • New ACDelco Oil Temperature Sensor

Relatively short list for now but I think the list will be a little more fluid in 2019 than it was for the first bit of the build because my debt will be cleared up and I will have a little more free money to play with this year. Thanks for following along!

Started some of the work yesterday, unfortunately ran into a few issues which necessitated some of the listed upgrades above.

Pulled the rear shocks off the car, was planning to just swap springs but unfortunately found that a seal had gone bad somehow. Aldan American has been absolutely amazing to work with and has taken extremely good care of me. I had already received and exchange set of front shocks from them a couple weeks back because I wanted to try something different up front and as soon as I found this issue I called them up and they said send them over and they would take care of it and swap the new springs on for me. I know Aldan gets a lot of flack but their customer service has been the best I have experienced in 20 years of racing.

Had the pan off the car back in March and had a lot of sludge buildup in the lower pan that required me to hot tank clean the pan. I was extremely pleased not only to see the Amsoil Dominator oil that I use, still was very red in color, and that there were no new deposits in the bottom of the pan. For 143k miles on this LS6, it seems to be a really good piece.

The Improved Racing Trap Door/Baffle Kit was super easy to install. Pretty much an idiot-proof install.

Except when your torque wrench is broken. I was super lucky to get the broken bolt extracted without having to heli-coil or re-tap the threads. I didn't have a screw extractor so I had to be resourceful and drilled a very small hole in the bolt on a decent angle and then use that drill bit while lightly tapping the corner of the pan, to slowly rotate and back the broken piece out. Thankfully Brian at Vette Villains has a bolt on the way to me and I picked up a new Torque Wrench today so this should be back together soon.

Last edited by slow_pokeC5; 02-28-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:43 PM
slow_pokeC5
Racer

Got my coilovers back from Aldan American freshly rebuilt with a couple small changes. New springs are installed and they are now back in the car. I also installed the new Differential mount as well as did the Anti-Venom mod and installed the new Vararam intake.

Just a couple other little things to tend to and check on before I drop the car back down on scales to adjust ride height and set the corner balance of the car.

I do plan to do a bit more over the course of the summer season, mainly in regards to brakes so stay tuned for that.

I will be posting scale numbers and vehicle weight as well soon so if you are interested in that check back. I will be scaling with 10 gallons of fuel in the car.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 AM
slow_pokeC5
Racer

Well, the car is back on the ground and ready to roll. Spent a lot of time adjusting ride heights and corner balancing it the best I could last night (with driver). Here are a couple pictures.

That's gonna be it for now... Big brake upgrade is next and then H/C/I finally. If you care to, stay tuned!

Get notified of new replies

To slow_pokeC5 Build Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:17 AM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Lol well now I know who you are off the forums from your corner weight post on c5 modified haha.

Everything looks to be going well!
slow_pokeC5 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:36 AM
slow_pokeC5
Racer

Originally Posted by mykream
Lol well now I know who you are off the forums from your corner weight post on c5 modified haha.

Everything looks to be going well!
shhhhh! lol Don't tell anyone who I am!

This thread is more for me to just keep track of everything I have done but I like sharing it with everyone as well cause you never know when someone might do something a little bit different that you can learn from and change your way if it's better. I've had a couple of people suggest things along the way that have changed my thinking a bit.

Last edited by slow_pokeC5; 03-20-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:25 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

This thing looks mean! Can't wait to see it in action.

Quick Reply: slow_pokeC5 Build Thread