Sponsored by:

Just go my New Seat cover & Foam

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 12:02 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Just go my New Seat cover & Foam

I just go my seat cover & the seat foams from Interior Innovations. I am happy with the product I custom ordered it. Outer covers are black synthetic leather with fire thorn read stitching, inserts are leather fire thorn red, plus had the corvette logos on top which my old seat cover doesn't have from factory. The lower seat cushion looks like on the outer bolster has support i'm not sure original one like this as well since I haven't taken out the old one to see what it looks like underneath the seat cushion.
I have to fix the seat rocking problem( slide front to back) when i do the seats. Also the seats rocks up & down little bit I assume that is whole separate problem by replacing the transmission worn out rubber seals to plastic shims will not fi that. Any one know why the seat rock up & down little bit?

Should I reinforce the lower seat cushion ? I saw some threads here side bolsters tends to wear out pretty quick on these.
This is very first time i'm doing this by myself and i'm newbie owning 97 C5 and not mechanically inclined. Any input/ advice doing this project tips etc... is GREATLY appreciative.
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
gpruitt54 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:16 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I got new foam for the driver's seat as well with my new leathers. I found it a true PITA for the center part. Finally got it back together and, I assume, because it was new foam the middle part of the back of the seat felt like I sat WAY more straight up....very uncomfortable. There's no way I could wait to wear it in so the following week I pulled the seat back out and reused the stock center foam and felt (and fit) considerably better.

In general for me the passenger side (kept OEM foam) was cake to install. The driver's side was sort of a pain due to the new foam.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:26 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

You need to cover the seat spring wires with something to prevent them from cutting into your new foam.
Many posts on this on CF and Google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=c5+c...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 03-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Oldandslow
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Hiw long did it take to get your covers from these guys? I have been waiting since ordering 2/08/2018.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:44 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Originally Posted by Oldandslow
Hiw long did it take to get your covers from these guys? I have been waiting since ordering 2/08/2018.
Mine took over 2 months. Never got any updates from either. Paid for them in beginning of june, never heard anything after over a month of waiting I had to email them and was told 2-3 days which turned into another month of waiting.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Oldandslow
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Mine took over 2 months. Never got any updates from either. Paid for them in beginning of june, never heard anything after over a month of waiting I had to email them and was told 2-3 days which turned into another month of waiting.
Thanks for the reply...i have emailed twice and gotten no response. Maybe they will show up soon.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:40 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,246 Likes on 1,668 Posts

If you're in a cold climate, put in seat heaters while you're in there.

Best thing on a cold morning.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:02 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Thanks for the reply...i have emailed twice and gotten no response. Maybe they will show up soon.
No problem. There was a time or 2 they took a while to reply to me as well. Their stuff is great but would be nice to be kept updated for a 2 month wait.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:41 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,276 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Those covers look very good. And yes, I would reinforce the lower seat cushions to keep the wires from cutting into the foam and also do the side bolsters while the covers are off.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:06 PM
1997 C5
Pro

I got new foam for the driver's seat as well with my new leathers. I found it a true PITA for the center part. Finally got it back together and, I assume, because it was new foam the middle part of the back of the seat felt like I sat WAY more straight up....very uncomfortable. There's no way I could wait to wear it in so the following week I pulled the seat back out and reused the stock center foam and felt (and fit) considerably better.

In general for me the passenger side (kept OEM foam) was cake to install. The driver's side was sort of a pain due to the new foam.
why was the center part of the back seat part PITA to install ? Perhaps I should of just purchased driver seat only but I also purchased passenger side as well, figure better to replace both . I may reuse the old center back rest foam. New seat covers didn't come pre cut holes for the power seat control & bezel to mount to. How did you locate where the seat control holes go on the seat cover? doesn't come with a template so i have no idea where to make holes to mount the seat control & bezel?
Old 03-08-2018, 01:13 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Originally Posted by jrprich
You need to cover the seat spring wires with something to prevent them from cutting into your new foam.
Many posts on this on CF and Google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=c5+c...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm going to go to home depot or car pet store and get some jute pad/carpet padding to put on the seat wires.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:15 PM
1997 C5
Pro

From the day I placed the order to receiving. 12 working days. Seat cover and seat foams came from Pakistan by DHL express delivery
Old 03-08-2018, 01:17 PM
1997 C5
Pro

No problem. There was a time or 2 they took a while to reply to me as well. Their stuff is great but would be nice to be kept updated for a 2 month wait.
Interior Innovations reply was slow but the vendor where the seats are made in Pakistan their response was quick for me.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:19 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Those covers look very good. And yes, I would reinforce the lower seat cushions to keep the wires from cutting into the foam and also do the side bolsters while the covers are off.
The side bolster are raised to the height of the foam how or what do you use to reinforce them?
Old 03-08-2018, 01:28 PM
motorboater222
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997 C5
why was the center part of the back seat part PITA to install ? Perhaps I should of just purchased driver seat only but I also purchased passenger side as well, figure better to replace both . I may reuse the old center back rest foam. New seat covers didn't come pre cut holes for the power seat control & bezel to mount to. How did you locate where the seat control holes go on the seat cover? doesn't come with a template so i have no idea where to make holes to mount the seat control & bezel?

I just did this job last week and wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. That being said you need to get and x-acto knife and cut all the holes for the seat release bezel on the back of the headrest and the 3 holes for the power seat controls. I just lined the bezel up and marked the holes and cut them very carefully out. This was a nerve racking job as it took me 5 weeks just to receive my covers. Looking back I should have paid my local shop the $250 they wanted to install them.

Name:  TLSFu45.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  746.8 KB
Old 03-08-2018, 02:55 PM
rwlc5
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I learned this when I installed covers a number of years ago. Before cutting the holes for the seat adjusters, make sure you stretch the bottom seat cover to it's final location before making the cuts.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:25 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Originally Posted by rwlc5
I learned this when I installed covers a number of years ago. Before cutting the holes for the seat adjusters, make sure you stretch the bottom seat cover to it's final location before making the cuts.

So i should install the covers completely then line up the seat control bezel to side of the seat with the cover & foam on then cut through the seat cover and seat foam ?

Get notified of new replies

To Just go my New Seat cover & Foam

Old 03-08-2018, 05:28 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Originally Posted by motorboater222
I just did this job last week and wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. That being said you need to get and x-acto knife and cut all the holes for the seat release bezel on the back of the headrest and the 3 holes for the power seat controls. I just lined the bezel up and marked the holes and cut them very carefully out. This was a nerve racking job as it took me 5 weeks just to receive my covers. Looking back I should have paid my local shop the $250 they wanted to install them.

$250.00 to install seat? That's a steal of a price. Here one guy wanted $1000.00 to replace both seat covers and foams, another shop wants $600.00, third shop wants $500.00. Even $500.00 quote is too much in my opinion. Thats why I'm going to tackle this myself.
The following users liked this post:
gpruitt54 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:14 PM
sunvet
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I just received my leather seat covers and foam from Interior Innovations. Yes, they are made in Afghanistan! Took 5 weeks to arrive. I haven't had time to install yet. They look like pretty good quality.

I'm replacing because the leather on the driver's seat wore through on the lower front where a spring worked its way through. Also, the left bolster support is very sharp and it cut a hole through there. I plan to cover the springs with something (suggestions?) and put plastic hole liners along the edge of the bolster supports.

I'll have a good leather covering for the passenger side when I'm done, with just the right amount of patina.

Last edited by sunvet; 03-08-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:42 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

Other may disagree, but if there was ever a task where it pays dividends to have a professional do the job, it's this. They have the tools and knowledge to make it worth the money. Do an Angie's list for who is good in the area, and pay the money. It ran me $400, but my leather wasn't from II or Corvette America, and needed some extra fitting and work. No regrets what so ever.

Quick Reply: Just go my New Seat cover & Foam