Sponsored by:

No run flats - what tools do you carry

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 01:43 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rabbi
Fix a flat can will go dead eventually. Keep good tires and no worries.
You should buy a new can every few years. Good tires are just a susceptible to punctures as old tires.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:10 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,298 Likes on 13,971 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I carry a portable air compressor, a plug kit, flashlight, a cell phone and emergency road service on my auto insurance.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:13 PM
Drewster67
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
LOL. Really? I have never had a problem with any shop I have been to. They deal with the stuff everyday. Many people use it. It takes them about a minute to wipe the tire out. Not a big deal at all and never a complaint. They would rather wipe out a tire than mount and dismount a runflat. I have had friends that worked at tire shops and they never cried about wiping out a tire.
How many times have you used it?

It's fine if you don't want to use it, but don't scare others away. The product works and it might save someone some grief. A lot of new sports cars like Miata and Fiat don't have spares anymore and come with a can of fix a flat.
I feel you absolutely have no idea what happens to that stuff if it sits for a day or two.

Fix a flat comes out as a liquid but hardens into a very stiff, dry foam. Not sure how you think someone can just wipe it out?

Its ok if you want to push fix a flat - most car people and racers I know - wont have anything to do with that crap.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:32 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Drewster67
I feel you absolutely have no idea what happens to that stuff if it sits for a day or two.

Fix a flat comes out as a liquid but hardens into a very stiff, dry foam. Not sure how you think someone can just wipe it out?

Its ok if you want to push fix a flat - most car people and racers I know - wont have anything to do with that crap.
Like I said, I have used it several times. The tire shop had zero problems with it. I watched him wipe out the tire. Then blow out residue. Took him a minute. It is obvious you have no experience with it.
LOL. I am not pushing it at all. Just stating the facts. It is used for emergency situations and it can save a life. It is a great product and this is from someone that has actually used it.
Tire shops deal with it everyday with zero issues. Over the years I have had half a dozen tires fixed after using it. Zero problems and it's easier than changing a tire on the side of the road or trying to plug one.

Last edited by JR-01; 03-09-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:33 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I am sure I am correct. I have used it several times in different vehicles with absolutely no effect on sensors. It really is the cheapest and fastest way to get out of a bad situation.
What is your experience?
You may be sure you are correct, but I don't believe you are correct. I have seen with my own eyes what fix a flat does to the inside of a tire and the TPM's. It isn't pretty. My buddy owns an automotive repair shop right up the street from me and he says, unequivocally, not to use it. He's seen many cause issues with the TPM's and the tires/rims. It does in fact need to be removed as soon as possible.

It makes far more sense to carry a tire repair kit and a portable air compressor than to fire that goop into your tires. If you like it, fine. I wouldn't use it, but what do I know.
The following users liked this post:
Drewster67 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 02:44 PM
Drewster67
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Like I said, I have used it several times. The tire shop had zero problems with it. I watched him wipe out the tire. Then blow out residue. Took him a minute. It is obvious you have no experience with it.
LOL. I am not pushing it at all. Just stating the facts. It is used for emergency situations and it can save a life. It is a great product and this is from someone that has actually used it.
Tire shops deal with it everyday with zero issues. Over the years I have had half a dozen tires fixed after using it. Zero problems It's easier than changing a tire on the side of the road or trying to plug one.
Save a life? Ok - If you say so.

The tire shop had no problems with it? This makes me LOL literally.

Tire shops are in the business to make money. They deal with Joe public on a daily basis and the stupid **** they do. Of course they are not going to say anything to the customer.

Next time you go in to a tire shop - ask them directly what they think about fix a flat or similar products. Brace yourself - it wont be the answer you want to hear.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:46 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by capevettes
You may be sure you are correct, but I don't believe you are correct. I have seen with my own eyes what fix a flat does to the inside of a tire and the TPM's. It isn't pretty. My buddy owns an automotive repair shop right up the street from me and he says, unequivocally, not to use it. He's seen many cause issues with the TPM's and the tires/rims. It does in fact need to be removed as soon as possible.

It makes far more sense to carry a tire repair kit and a portable air compressor than to fire that goop into your tires. If you like it, fine. I wouldn't use it, but what do I know.
Give me a break. Tire shops deal with it everyday and I have watched them patch them. It really is no big deal. A while back I used it on my truck and didn't get around to it and drove for 6 months before taking it in to get patched. Caused no issues with sensors and the shop had no problems when they patched it.
I am only going by my own experience and I have used it a lot. I have not had one single problem with it. If I get a flat, I prefer to be on my way as soon as possible instead of trying to find a leak, plugging it then inflating the tire along a dark highway. I do carry a plug kit and compressor, but would rather be safe and get off the side of the road as quickly as possible..

You guys know that Z06s carry the sealant, right?

Last edited by JR-01; 03-09-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:47 PM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Small jack, hockey pucks, 19mm impact socket on a breaker bar and a GTO style spare wheel. I got all of that for a 1,300 mile road trip awhile back and still carry it all just in case.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:26 PM
moncal90
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

It's an emergency use only and if it fries the TPMS sensor than I'll get a new one. Honestly, I'd rather have the PS2 ZPs again but Michelin seems to have discontinued them in C5 sizes. I've had my current ZPs patched twice due to roofing nails and I was able to drive to the shop no problem to get them fixed.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:36 PM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 249 Posts

Cellphone and roadside assistance. But to be honest I can't remember the last time I had a flat. I full timed with a motorhome for 7yrs. towing a car. We went from Maine to San Diego, Fl. to Alaska and thousands of miles in between and never a tire problem. Even before that, I still can't remember when a tire problem stopped me.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Z06Berlin
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Back in 2003 when I bought my Z06 people were saying to stay away from the fix-a-flat as it would harden up and then you would need a new tire. I just bought my second Z and am having non runflats installed. Will rely on a cell phone and road side service.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:13 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06Berlin
Back in 2003 when I bought my Z06 people were saying to stay away from the fix-a-flat as it would harden up and then you would need a new tire. I just bought my second Z and am having non runflats installed. Will rely on a cell phone and road side service.
I have used it half a dozen times over the years and never had a single problem. I never leave home without it.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 249 Posts

By the way when I bought my "03 I couldn't get those run flats off fast enough. They road like bricks, and were loud.. After I put a set of Michelins on it was like night and day. Great ride, and quiet riding.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I carry a can of fix-o-flat and an air compressor. My strategy, read here first, use the compressor without the fix-o-flat and try to get home. If the tire won't hold air long enough, then get the can out.

Tires are pretty tough though. This tire still held air.
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Depending on where you are, roadside assistance like AAA sucks. In my city its a 3 hour wait for AAA. I'd rather smoke a TPMS with fix a flat than wait 3 hours and frankly I am paying the tire repair shop for a service so I dont care what they like or dont like to do. I give you money, you do the job.
The following users liked this post:
Marty 04 (05-09-2019)
Old 03-11-2018, 12:34 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

AAA card Visa card cell phone and lug nut lock key.

Last edited by UM Rebel; 03-11-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:01 PM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

After over 400K miles of motorcycle travel in North America and fixing many flats on tube type and tubeless, I kinda got the feel on what I wanted when I got into Corvettes a few years ago as per what I'm gonna carry flat fixing wise. Quality plug kit with glue, 12v pump, scissor jack. Had my 03 Vette about 6 months and walked into the garage and fire it up to see a Zero Air Pressure in the Left Rear. I walked by that run flat tire and it was up. Hmmm. Got the air gauge and Yep, Zero air. Found a screw in the edge of the tire so plugged it. Fixing to be changed out this coming week though after another 3000 miles on the plugged run flat tire. Going with non- runflats

Get notified of new replies

To No run flats - what tools do you carry

Old 03-11-2018, 04:14 PM
rayz1951
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redzg
AAA Plus card.
AAA and cell phone
Old 03-11-2018, 06:51 PM
Z06-FIX
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How's the slime tire sealant, any problem's using it ?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:08 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06-FIX
How's the slime tire sealant, any problem's using it ?
I have used the Slime inflator/sealer twice and I think it's probably the best brand. Better than the others I have used.

Quick Reply: No run flats - what tools do you carry