Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best Bluetooth Speakerphone?

Old 03-13-2018, 06:06 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Default What's the best Bluetooth Speakerphone?

If my luck holds out I will be taking delivery of a C5 Z51 Coupe on Friday.
I want to add a Bluetooth 'visor' style speaker. What's good? What's bad?

Thanks for your response!

Barney
Old 03-13-2018, 08:19 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,238 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by BarneyZ
I want to add a Bluetooth 'visor' style speaker. What's good? What's bad?
What is it?
Old 03-13-2018, 08:42 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmvette
What is it?
Basically, a whole class of items functionally similar to this:

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-13-2018, 10:30 PM
TheUCM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Motorola Roadster

I have used a Motorola Roadster in several vehicles because it allow for the audio to be repeated to your radio via a FM transmitter. Not perfect but a quick way to make calls and stream music.

Brad
Old 03-14-2018, 05:12 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I've had a Jabra in my Peterbilt for several years.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:02 AM
cwf04vette
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is the one I got for 2003. I wanted Sirius radio in the car without having to modify anything. Takes up some room in front of the heater controls but works great.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-14-2018, 09:44 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUCM
I have used a Motorola Roadster in several vehicles because it allow for the audio to be repeated to your radio via a FM transmitter. Not perfect but a quick way to make calls and stream music.

Brad
I use the Roadster 2 and find it very good. You can also take a look at the Roadster Pro.

Motorola Car Speakerphones

Last edited by GCG; 03-14-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:50 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Just my 2 cents but the best AND safest method would be to install a new double din head unit that is bluetooth and can control your phone's functions. You can handle incoming and outgoing calls via touchscreen of the head unit, including going through your contacts, checking voicemail, etc.. all much more safely than fumbling with your phone while you are driving, and you get the added bonus of the uncanny clarity of conversation as it is piped through your car's audio system. I get if you don't want to spend the money, but a set up like that is handier than a pocket on a shirt and might save someone's life at some point. Good luck on your search.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:10 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Also, if you want to go the cheaper route I found this gadget and for $15 it looks like it would do what you are needing to do....
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-16-2018, 03:50 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Again, since you did say a "visor" unit, I would go with a Jabra. It's plenty loud because I use it in my Peterbilt. It will tell you the number or name, so you can decide to answer it or not. I seem to be the only one who actually read your question about a "visor" style, I guess.

Last edited by o2bnkc; 03-17-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:23 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
Just my 2 cents but the best AND safest method would be to install a new double din head unit that is bluetooth and can control your phone's functions. You can handle incoming and outgoing calls via touchscreen of the head unit, including going through your contacts, checking voicemail, etc.. all much more safely than fumbling with your phone while you are driving, and you get the added bonus of the uncanny clarity of conversation as it is piped through your car's audio system. I get if you don't want to spend the money, but a set up like that is handier than a pocket on a shirt and might save someone's life at some point. Good luck on your search.
This 100%
Old 03-16-2018, 05:34 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FrankLP
This 100%
Actually a visor speakerphone is a lot safer than Bluetooth coming from your stereo. I know. I have both. A DD Bluetooth in my vette, and a Jabra in my truck. On the Jabra, you just reach up and hit a button to answer or make a call. Never have to take your eyes off the road. The newer ones can also be voice activated. You don't have to reach down to your phone or a touch screen. Looking down at a touch screen is way more dangerous than looking at your visor for a millisecond.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:04 PM
Bucs14
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having just getting my 2000 yesterday. If you have Verizon, they have a Bluetooth called Hum. I still have hook it up but it's designed to go with Verizon service.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:57 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by o2bnkc
Actually a visor speakerphone is a lot safer than Bluetooth coming from your stereo. I know. I have both. A DD Bluetooth in my vette, and a Jabra in my truck. On the Jabra, you just reach up and hit a button to answer or make a call. Never have to take your eyes off the road. The newer ones can also be voice activated. You don't have to reach down to your phone or a touch screen. Looking down at a touch screen is way more dangerous than looking at your visor for a millisecond.
I think we are splitting hairs here but what about checking voicemail, making outgoing calls, etc..?? So you have a slight advantage in safety to answer a call, but what about all the other functions that can be controlled by a double din, such as opening your contacts, hitting the letter of the alphabet whose first name your desired contact's name starts with, finding that contact, and subsequently dialing their number? Can you do that with visor bluetooth? Can you dial up your voicemail, enter the necessary numerical digits for saving, deleting, etc.. all while your phone is still stashed in your gym bag? I am just asking as I don't have experience with visor bluetooth, but even if they do you would be fumbling with something above your head which is not any better than touching a touch screen or worse yet fumbling with your phone. I recently had to start using cheater glasses for near vision and I can hardly see what's on my phone but I can read what's on my touchscreen from a distance very well yet and with an added steering wheel remote accessory I can answer and hang up without even taking my hands off the steering wheel. I feel that is a huge improvement in safety over not having double din with bluetooth. Just my .02.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:30 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by o2bnkc
Mine is set to auto answer, and if/when I need to make a call I use Siri... so with this setup I never need to touch or reach for anything, or take my eyes off the road.

This works really well for me.

Last edited by FrankLP; 03-17-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:55 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

OK, I know we all think whatever we have in our own car is the best thing since sliced bread, but the OP asked about a "visor style" Bluetooth speaker. Since I actually have one, I thought I would give my opinion on the one I have. He didn't ask about DD radios, Siri, or other stuff. Everybody is an expert on here, even when knowing nothing about the product the person is asking about.

Last edited by o2bnkc; 03-17-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the best Bluetooth Speakerphone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the best Bluetooth Speakerphone?