Sponsored by:

Posted in Tech but no response ... Disable Active Handling

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 12:32 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Posted in Tech but no response ... Disable Active Handling

I posted this in Tech but got no response. Any advice appreciated.

2004 CE Convertible.
I would like to disable active handling and not have the active handling light on dash. I know that simply disconnecting SPS turns off active handling, but it lights the woring light and turns on "service vehicle soon" and "service active handling". Is there a way to disable these warnings.

I know someone is going to ask, "why would you want to do this?"
I learned to drive before active handling was invented and it does things that confuse me or I do things that confuse it. Either way it's sometimes scary and dangerous.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:56 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

The biggest thing is obviously disabling the DTC reading; hitting reset will clear them but it’s still kinda hokey pokey.

Because that’s ECU driven, you’d have to do it through software and to my knowledge there isn’t a way to disable certain parameters of the DTC itself, as it seems to pull from much more than CEL triggers.

It’s annoying. I seemed to have suffered an ABS module failure this year with it keeping everything disabled. I couldn’t care less if either system worked again but it sucks feeling like I’m driving a hooptie.

My levels of yaw angle are not compliant with active handling anyhow lol. Crap is scary when it decides to do its thing. Very intrusivene and unsettling of the car.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:07 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Is it working properly? Not sure what you are doing in the car to make it feel dangerous? I'm not bashing you just asking a question. I'm at 550 to the wheels and drive mine all the time in competition mode, it helps me keep out of trouble.

You could just hit the button once and turn it all off. That does turn on the little symbol of a car fish tailing, is that what you don't want to see?

Ps my steering wheel position sensor went bad and mine would almost jerk the wheel out of my hand going in a straight line, that was scary, is that what it is doing?

Last edited by Forcedvert; 03-14-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:29 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
Is it working properly? Not sure what you are doing in the car to make it feel dangerous? I'm not bashing you just asking a question. I'm at 550 to the wheels and drive mine all the time in competition mode, it helps me keep out of trouble.

You could just hit the button once and turn it all off. That does turn on the little symbol of a car fish tailing, is that what you don't want to see?
\

Yep, that little symbol as well as the Service Active Handling and Service Vehicle Soon. I know I can reset those out. Still a PITA

Yes, It works "properly"(according to Corvete) if SPS is plugged in. I was taught to steer into a skid. That's burned into my brain. When I do that with active handling it tries to keep the car going the way the front wheels are facing. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!
Like I said, steer into scid . As soon as front catches up with back then straighten wheels and hold power.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:05 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Originally Posted by RSbeast

My levels of yaw angle are not compliant with active handling anyhow lol. Crap is scary when it decides to do its thing. Very intrusivene and unsettling of the car.
Exactly!
Old 03-14-2018, 07:09 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

No offense but I don’t think it is working properly if “service active handling” is popping up. Maybe I’m wrong.

Just think of the skid symbol as your fun mode and maybe I won’t bother you so much.

Last edited by Forcedvert; 03-14-2018 at 07:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
STALION (03-15-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 09:11 AM
bj1888
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

No offense but I don’t think it is working properly if “service active handling” is popping up. Maybe I’m wrong.

Just think of the skid symbol as your fun mode and maybe I won’t bother you so much.
Because he's unplugging it instead of just pushing the TC button...

If the warning light in the dash is that annoying, pull or cover the bulb inside the cluster.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:48 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1888

If the warning light in the dash is that annoying, pull or cover the bulb inside the cluster.
Black electrical tape, cut to fit over the warning lights, works like a charm on my pickup.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:38 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

why unplug it? If it isn’t throwing codes just turn it off and only deal with one light....

Old 03-15-2018, 11:05 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Unless you're running old crappy tires and sliding all over the place, or your pushing harder then you should on the street, active handling should not get engaged...slippery conditions not withstanding of course.

For active handling to really kick would vary under conditions as it is pretty intuitive. Maybe you do have an issue with it?
Old 03-15-2018, 11:30 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

I'm kinda in the group not understanding why if you hate it you don't just push the button every time you drive instead of unplugging and having to push reset multiple times.

Im also in the group not understanding why you think driving with active handling on is any different than driving with it off. in competition mode you can literally powerslide and do donuts. It won't be crazy tight donuts but it allows quite a bit of sideways action, certainly more than you should be using on the street.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:37 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

I've had my 03 vert just under a year now and I'm confused about something here. I had the service active handling warning come up once. I did some research and figured it out. I only needed an alignment and got it done. Fixed it.
Now I'm confused about the button push deal. If you push the button and the little sliding car comes up on the dash - that means the system is turned off?
Please bear with me because I am old. I'm sixty nine today.
Thanks

Last edited by Grandpa1; 03-15-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by UM Rebel
I would like to disable active handling and not have the active handling light on dash. I know that simply disconnecting SPS turns off active handling, but it lights the woring light and turns on "service vehicle soon" and "service active handling". Is there a way to disable these warnings.
There is not a legitimate method to disable the Active Handling feature permanently. It's function is tied into the operation of the ABS pump (that's partly how Active Handling functions) and is subsequently integrated as part of the EBCM's logics.

Originally Posted by Grandpa1
Now I'm confused about the button push deal. If you push the button and the little sliding car comes up on the dash - that means the system is turned off?
Please bear with me because I am old. I'm sixty nine today.
Thanks
If you press the button once then that means the system will be turned off. An accompanying message on the DIC center should also read ACTIVE HANDLING OFF. Press it again to remove the message from the dash and restore the system.

If you hold the button down for a set amount of time, that puts the car into COMPETITIVE DRIVING MODE, with an accompanying message on the DIC. Holding the button down again will disable this feature. Competitive driving is similar to Active Handling as both Active Handling and ABS are activated; traction control is what is disabled specifically using this feature.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:56 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
There is not a legitimate method to disable the Active Handling feature permanently. It's function is tied into the operation of the ABS pump (that's partly how Active Handling functions) and is subsequently integrated as part of the EBCM's logics.

If you press the button once then that means the system will be turned off. An accompanying message on the DIC center should also read ACTIVE HANDLING OFF. Press it again to remove the message from the dash and restore the system.

If you hold the button down for a set amount of time, that puts the car into COMPETITIVE DRIVING MODE, with an accompanying message on the DIC. Holding the button down again will disable this feature. Competitive driving is similar to Active Handling as both Active Handling and ABS are activated; traction control is what is disabled specifically using this feature.
Thank you!
Old 03-15-2018, 02:23 PM
bj1888
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

why unplug it? If it isn’t throwing codes just turn it off and only deal with one light....

dunno.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:32 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

dunno.
Because pressing button on console does not diable Active Handling. It only disables Traction Control. (Competitive Driving)

Last edited by UM Rebel; 03-16-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:39 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Because pressing button on console does not diable Active Handling. It only disables Traction Control. (Competitive Driving)
hmm maybe your 04 is different but my 01 disables both with one push and holding it down puts it in comp mode.

Last edited by Forcedvert; 03-16-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:42 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

one press turns it completely off. Push and hold turns off TCS and leaves active handling on
Old 03-16-2018, 10:17 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin

one press turns it completely off. Push and hold turns off TCS and leaves active handling on
Ok, good I thought I was getting early Alzheimer’s. I still think his is malfunctioning if the “service active handling” light is coming on. Which is the only thing that would feel scary IMO. As I said earlier when mine was acting up (bad steering wheel position sensor) it would almost jerk the wheel out of your hand just going in a straight line.

Ps op

I googled and found an old article that talks about a little box that will allow you to over ride and have it in any mode you want when started and turn it “on” with a button push.

Get notified of new replies

To Posted in Tech but no response ... Disable Active Handling

Quick Reply: Posted in Tech but no response ... Disable Active Handling