Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portable 2 post lift recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 08:44 AM
cds1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Portable 2 post lift recommendations?

I'm looking for any suggestions on a portable 2 post lift. So far, I've come across this Danmar unit. Anyone have any experience with it, or something similar.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:33 AM
m4bgringo
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know how much I would trust that. Have you seen pictures of what can go wrong with "normal" lifts?

I wasn't allowed to put a "real lift" on my property so I bought a scissor type of lift. I wish it would go up 7 ft, but 4 ft is better than nothing. Great for changing wheels/brakes, getting it up to clean and detail the sides of the car so I'm not laying on the ground! Oil changes, etc... are fine. Even pull transmissions out of my race cars.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:40 AM
cds1
Instructor

I hadn't really considered a scissor type lift. The ones I've seen seem like the lift/jack itself would block access to most of the bottom of the vehicle. What type did you have?

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 03-17-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:34 PM
m4bgringo
Advanced

This is what I have. I was looking at their other one which is actually two separate sections but at the time I wanted to buy a lift they were having issues with that version.

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...dpakmd-6xp.htm
Old 03-17-2018, 10:55 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

This type of scissor is preferred...center is opened entirely, plus front and rear. This is what you want, should you ever drop the torque tube/transmission/rear combo, exhaust, etc.

https://www.gesusa.com/mds-6k-mid-ri...BoCa8wQAvD_BwE
Old 03-17-2018, 10:56 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I just ordered this one though...

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...e-Scissor-Lift
Old 03-18-2018, 06:21 AM
cds1
Instructor

Thank you both. I'll take a look at those.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:57 AM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

This thread is representative of the best reason to visit the forum. Didn't know I even needed to know about these, and now know what I need to be on the look out for!

Last edited by redzg; 03-18-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:16 AM
cds1
Instructor

Yep. I agree 100%. Plus this forum is far more likely than some others to give an informed and well thought out response.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:26 PM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

I just bought a Quickjack set up. Love it! Chose it over post lift due to room and garage height.
The following 2 users liked this post by awches:
cds1 (03-22-2018), Glasact (03-22-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:29 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

ive used a 4 post portable lift,110v,wheels on the bottom -to roll around when the cars off
Old 03-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Glasact
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by awches
I just bought a Quickjack set up. Love it! Chose it over post lift due to room and garage height.

I have the Quickjack BL-5000SLX on order and can hardly wait for it to arrive. I went with the 5000 model over the 3500 model so I can use it to lift my Caddy SRX too!
Old 03-22-2018, 12:45 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have the lift that shows on the link the OP provided. It's called a MaxJax. While it's considered "portable" it does require being bolted to a concrete floor. The floor must be at least 4" thick with no cracks in the area where the bottom plates bolt to the floor.

Each post gets 5 wedge anchors (all provided in the kit) that require drilling into the floor and the anchors are installed in the holes. Bolts then attach the posts to the floor.

Overall, it's pretty easy to set up. The instructions are clearly written and they even suggest spacing dimensions to use for installing the posts. The only other thing needed is the fluid for the unit. You can use hydraulic fluid like AW32 or auto trans fluid. The hoses come with a pair of quick disconnet fitting so the pump unit can be moved around or stored away when not in use. The pump is a 110v unit.

It easily picks up either my C4 or C5 raising the car to the top position in about 30 seconds.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:18 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I have the lift that shows on the link the OP provided. It's called a MaxJax. While it's considered "portable" it does require being bolted to a concrete floor. The floor must be at least 4" thick with no cracks in the area where the bottom plates bolt to the floor.

Each post gets 5 wedge anchors (all provided in the kit) that require drilling into the floor and the anchors are installed in the holes. Bolts then attach the posts to the floor.

Overall, it's pretty easy to set up. The instructions are clearly written and they even suggest spacing dimensions to use for installing the posts. The only other thing needed is the fluid for the unit. You can use hydraulic fluid like AW32 or auto trans fluid. The hoses come with a pair of quick disconnet fitting so the pump unit can be moved around or stored away when not in use. The pump is a 110v unit.

It easily picks up either my C4 or C5 raising the car to the top position in about 30 seconds.

I really like these. Can I ask what it cost?
Old 03-23-2018, 01:11 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by o2bnkc
I really like these. Can I ask what it cost?
I got the lift when it was on sale at Costco. $1999 delivered to my driveway.

The only extra cost was having to replace two sections of the garage floor (the light gray sections in the pic). When I drilled a test hole, I found that the pad was only 2.5" thick and the specs required a minimum of 4". I had a company come out and they cut out two 4'x4' sections of the slab, dug down 12" and poured new concrete. It was a 5000psi mix with rebar connecting the old floor to the new base.

The lift included 3-1/2" wedge anchors, but I wound up using 7" epoxy anchors with the new pour. These anchors were much stronger than the wedge anchors.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:52 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Very nice. You sure can't beat the price.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:32 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Very happy with my MaxJax, I went with a semi-permanent installation.

Originally Posted by nsogiba
I spend a lot of time over on Garage Journal board and they have a similar thread. Many of us are DIYers and love getting our hands dirty, others like the added storage room of fitting multiple vehicles in the garage during winter months.

Here is mine, a portable Max Jax 2 poster that I did a custom install on.

Here's one with the car on the ground. It's so low that you need to rest the tires on wooden blocks to be able to get the arms out from under it. Also, due to the spacing I chose for the columns, the front arm contacts the jack pads inboard of the pad on the arm, but I just pad it with a rag and it works fine.

I'm very happy with the result, it's easy to roll around on a stool underneath and work.

I started a thread a while back asking members to show off their lift setups, you might find some inspiration in there.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ow-it-off.html
Old 03-23-2018, 08:12 PM
m4bgringo
Advanced

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

That is nice, goes as high as mine with nothing under the car, I like that! I see how it is "portable", It has wheels on the columns so if you unbolt it and have a friend or two around you can move it out of the way. You certainly can't use that style unbolted though which is fine. I could have bought that style for where I use mine, I have limited height issues.

The lift I use is 100% portable to those that need something like that. I can move it by myself at anytime, set it back down, and use it elsewhere. That isn't why I bought it, my town would not allow me to bolt ANY LIFT onto the concrete pad I have in front of my garage, which is full of race car stuff so no room inside it for a lift. I had to have a lift that I can prove was portable to stay out of trouble, so I bought the Bendpak scissor lift. It is fine and I have done transmissions in both of my race cars on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Portable 2 post lift recommendations?

Quick Reply: Portable 2 post lift recommendations?