Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VetteNuts DD Bezel Install/Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 08:13 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

" If you ordered a set of metal brackets include your order number at checkout for a $9 refund."
That's a heck of a support policy. I'll get a set on order today.
The following users liked this post:
shaggyvette (11-01-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 09:11 PM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by CW LT1
Willing to do a DD with gauges?
We are starting one next week for a customer. Send me an email with what your wanting and we can get you set up.

Originally Posted by 69monzacpe
Finished up my install last night, thought I'd post a few pictures. I did have to modify the "not so universal" mounting brackets, but with a dremel and shim washers got the HU where it needed to be. I did have to shave about 1/16" to 3/32" off the top side of the piece between the HU and HVAC so that the door on the HU would operate properly. I may order the new composite brackets and install them the next time I have to take out the console.
That turned out really nice! Your gonna love the new brackets.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:16 PM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by redzg
" If you ordered a set of metal brackets include your order number at checkout for a $9 refund."
That's a heck of a support policy. I'll get a set on order today.
Our only goal is to provide the best possible product for our Vette's so i dont want anyone paying twice for brackets. The new ones are expensive to make along with hardware and i will be losing a few dollars with the $9 refund but thats not important. All i care about is getting all of you guys the right product.

Marc
The following 2 users liked this post by Marc@Vettenuts.net:
69monzacpe (04-25-2018), kasper-pA- (05-09-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 08:32 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

If anyone gets their DD unit mounted with Marc's new adjustable brackets PLEASE post up some close up pics before the bezel is installed. I think seeing the brackets in place on the headunit and to the dash frame would be helpful.

Last edited by jrprich; 04-25-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:34 AM
Bstocky
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received my bezel and new mounting brackets last night. Fit and finish is great!! Worth the money for sure. Was packaged very nicely. Got it fitted and the h/u mounted. Will finish it up this evening when my shift boot arrives.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:39 PM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Nice! So the new brackets are winners? I haven't had a chance to mess with mine yet. Any pics of the HU and brackets without the bezel? What was the level of difficulty in getting the brackets/hu adjusted right?
Old 04-28-2018, 08:12 AM
Bstocky
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oneandgone
Nice! So the new brackets are winners? I haven't had a chance to mess with mine yet. Any pics of the HU and brackets without the bezel? What was the level of difficulty in getting the brackets/hu adjusted right?
i didn’t take a picture. Forgot. But it wasn’t terrible. Just some tighting and loosening of the screws and figuring out which holes on the h/u to use. Took about an hour to get the unit and hvac Lined up. Washers behind the hvac worked great.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:53 PM
lancedolan
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Received my bezel + 3D printed brackets today. They forgot to send me screws, does anybody know what specs the screws are so I can just buy some at the local hardware store?

Also: those of you that shaved your bar between the HVAC and head unit, what tool(s) did you use to do this so that it came out looking good? If a dremel, what "bit" or tip or attachment did you use? I definitely am going to have to do this. My head unit would fit its face through the hole fine if it wasn't for the two tabs at the top hitting it really early.

Has anybody just deleted the two tabs from the top of the bezel? I have a feeling I'm going to need to do this, like it or not. Will the bezel still hold in place? Maybe I'll try an adhesive once I'm begrudgingly forced to remove these damn tabs...

Last edited by lancedolan; 05-08-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:02 PM
lancedolan
Advanced

Here's what it looks like with the head unit pressed HARD against the tabs at the top. Still doesn't actually get into the opening.

Last edited by lancedolan; 05-08-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:08 PM
lancedolan
Advanced

Actually, I just realized mine doesn't fit side-to-side either.

Has anybody widened theirs side to side?

Somebody will probably want to know; it's a jvc kw-m740bt.

I called Marc before buying specifically to find out which head units to avoid buying for fitment and he said as long as it's 7x4, then it should fit, and all major brands will fit. I consider JVC a major brand (it's the only brand as of right now offering wireless android auto besides kenwood), and the dimensions say 7 x 3-15/16", which is less than 7x4, so I'm really surprised it doesn't fit.

i r dissapoint.

Last edited by lancedolan; 05-08-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:33 PM
lancedolan
Advanced

Looking up dimensions on some of the other head units that were successfully installed:

Kenwood dnx893s: 6-3/16 x 3-3/16 inch

AVIC 5200NEX: 6.5"

It looks like you need a head unit that's less than 7" wide.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:38 PM
lancedolan
Advanced

The bezel only has a 6.75" opening. The head unit is exactly 7" as Marc advised me to purchase.

Last edited by lancedolan; 05-09-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:42 PM
lancedolan
Advanced

I called marc on the phone before ordering to avoid exactly this specific issue. I believe his unfamiliarity with his product is going to cost me considerable time and money. I have no idea if I'm going to be able to return this head unit.

At least others can learn from my problem.

Last edited by lancedolan; 05-08-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:48 PM
lancedolan
Advanced

PS they also forgot to ship my PAC harness I ordered at the same time. Had to call today to ask them to ship it. I didn't realize they forgot my screws or I would have asked for those as well. I was going to leave that off of the forums, since negative reviews are usually exaggerated and taken unfairly, but at this point I
  • Wasn't sent my installation screws,
  • Wasn't sent my PAC harness I paid for
  • Was advised to buy a $400 head unit that doesn't fit. I asked him multiple times on the phone for the specific dimensions, and each time he said 7x4, and I wrote that down and stuck to it.
so I feel like I might as well tell the whole experience.

I think Marc is probably a great guy trying his best, but is too slammed and busy to catch details. I called him several times before purchasing, and each time he mentioned being way too busy to get even little things done.

Last edited by lancedolan; 05-08-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:13 AM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lancedolan
My head unit would fit its face through the hole fine if it wasn't for the two tabs at the top hitting it really early.
Has anybody just deleted the two tabs from the top of the bezel? I have a feeling I'm going to need to do this, like it or not. Will the bezel still hold in place? Maybe I'll try an adhesive once I'm begrudgingly forced to remove these damn tabs...
I would suggest that you do NOT cut the top tabs off as the bezel will likely not fit flush with the opening without the top two tabs.
Once they are cut off they can't be put back on.
Using an adhesive around the bezel where it meets the dash would likely be very difficult to accomplish. Once glued in place what are you to do if something goes wrong behind that bezel and you have to remove it later?

Last edited by jrprich; 05-09-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:22 AM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lancedolan
Looking up dimensions on some of the other head units that were successfully installed:

AVIC 5200NEX: 6.5"
I am installing a Pioneer AVIC 5200NEX and I needed to sand a small amount off the left bottom side to allow the bottom of the 5200 to fit flush. The issue was caused by the way Pioneer designed that 5200 and it's "removable" switch panel which protrudes a bit farther down under that panel than the remaining front panel edge.
Mine also has a narrow gap across the top. I used some black rubber weatherstrip applied to the top of the unit to compress and fill the gap so that it is not visible once installed. Pretty sure the black rubber weatherstrip was left over from some aftermarket rear tail light "seals" for the C5.

None of these issues was Marc's fault. I don't think anyone could design a bezel that fits all DD units without any "fitting" by the installer.

Last edited by jrprich; 05-09-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:33 AM
lancedolan
Advanced

Originally Posted by jrprich
I used some black rubber weatherstrip applied to the top of the unit to compress and fill the gap so that it is not visible once installed.
I've read all of your posts, you've been the most detailed, so I'm really aware of the weatherstripping at the top that you and others did. That doesn't bother me what so ever. I was already planning on doing it as well.

None of these issues was Marc's fault.
While your fitment issues aren't Marc's fault, mine definitely are. He's selling a 6.75" wide product, I called him on the phone to ask what the dimensions are on his product, he told me 7x4, when I asked "are you sure because I know they come in slightly different sizes," he assured me that 7x4 is good. I wrote down 7x4, I purchased 7x4, and the opening is 6.75". A quarter inch is a lot of plastic, and I don't think I could keep my hand straight for 4 full inches length of cutting. The opening on these already look fantastic, it's a risk to take out that much. Taking 1/8" off both sides isn't something I can do while guaranteeing that I won't destroy my $400 bezel. I've already started the return process on this head unit. Looks like I'm only losing 1 week and $10, the 1 week being the greater frustration.

I don't think anyone could design a bezel that fits all DD units without any "fitting" by the installer.
Of course that's true, they come in slightly different sizes. Not only do I agree with that 100%, but it's precisely the reason I called him and asked multiple times what the dimensions are so I could ensure I buy one that fits the precise measurements of the hole. It's just a 2 dimensional hole that I'm asking about, not complicated geometry.

Others who want the freedom to shop head units rather than buying only one they've seen successfully installed in a forum post will have the same question as me, so it's good that I'm posting the info here, and hopefully Marc notices as well.

Last edited by lancedolan; 05-09-2018 at 12:46 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To VetteNuts DD Bezel Install/Review Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 12:35 AM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by oneandgone
Be very careful with those plastic brackets and make sure you carefully enlarge the mounting slots if you plan to use the original mounting spot on the car's framework as the slots are a bit too narrow to fit the slots on the stock mounting posts.
And if you don't file/sand then to be a bit wider to fit over the existing stock metal posts..........you may break the brackets......as I found out the hard way. Afterward, I ended up building my own brackets from some galvanized metal that are very strong. But it took quite a while of trial and refit to get my homemade metal brackets to position the head unit just as I needed it.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:04 AM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Be very careful with those plastic brackets and make sure you carefully enlarge the mounting slots if you plan to use the original mounting spot on the car's framework as the slots are a bit too narrow to fit the slots on the stock mounting posts.
And if you don't file/sand then to be a bit wider to fit over the existing stock metal posts..........you may break the brackets......as I found out the hard way. Afterward, I ended up building my own brackets from some galvanized metal that are very strong. But it took quite a while of trial and refit to get my homemade metal brackets to position the head unit just as I needed it.
I installed the same H/U and had the same issues as you. Like you said earlier, had to file a little on the lower left corner of the bezel because of the button panel. Also the 3D printed brackets the I got from the original maker seemed to separate very easily. My assumption is, since they're built by layering, the bond between layers isn't that strong and can be separated pretty easy.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:11 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Carl Timonen
I installed the same H/U and had the same issues as you. Like you said earlier, had to file a little on the lower left corner of the bezel because of the button panel. Also the 3D printed brackets the I got from the original maker seemed to separate very easily. My assumption is, since they're built by layering, the bond between layers isn't that strong and can be separated pretty easy.
Mine didn't separate, they broke in half in several places.
To prevent this the brackets would need to be made of metal. There used to be a seller on eBay that sold the exact same design in aluminum for $49.95. (See below)But seems to have no more for sale.

I sent an email to VetteNutts, got a reply and they quickly refunded my $$.

I don't have any gripes about VetteNutts. Both the bezel and the brackets are new products for them and it is not unusual for new products to have some issues. I applaud Marc for taking a risk and having these bezels designed and built for the C5 community.
A "one size fits all" bezel doesn't exist. The DD head unit sizes vary widely and the sizes may change with each new model. I expect that the same issues can be seen with the Metra bezels. The hand modified bezels like Dennis at Double D used to make were hand built to fit the specific head unit they were installing.

The following users liked this post:
FinishLine (07-04-2018)

Quick Reply: VetteNuts DD Bezel Install/Review Thread