Vararam CAI question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 04:23 PM
FRCinwhite
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Vararam CAI question

Hey all,
I have a stock 2000 FRC (6 speed) other than a Corsa sport exhaust with X pipe. Looking into the Vararam CAI setup. My question is do I need a tune right away, or can I get a tune later on. I want to tune it at some point when budget allows. I guess my question is will CAI lean it out too much and damage anything? Thx in advance for your expertise. Ken
Old 03-27-2018, 05:47 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You will not need a tune as a result of adding the Vararam.
The following users liked this post:
FRCinwhite (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 05:50 PM
FRCinwhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
You will not need a tune as a result of adding the Vararam.
Nice thx for the reply.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:55 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,224 Likes on 537 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Need - probably not

Want - heck yes! You'll ask yourself after you get a tune why you waited so long.

BTW, I have a '99 vert (auto) with a Corsa Extreme and the Vararam too.... love them both. And yes, I have a tune (Chuck CoW)
Chuck CoW (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 06:03 PM
FRCinwhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by BAT
Need - probably not

Want - heck yes! You'll ask yourself after you get a tune why you waited so long.

BTW, I have a '99 vert (auto) with a Corsa Extreme and the Vararam too.... love them both. And yes, I have a tune (Chuck CoW)
I definitely want a tune at some point. I just bought the car, flared fenders,double din radio setup,bunch of LEDs,HIDs,Corsa,short shifter,Z06 brake duct setup and I'm sure I forgot something, not to mention the Vararam. Lol
Old 03-27-2018, 06:04 PM
garrettg
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest the tune as you may have issues with the ecu needing to adjust 25% fueling during closed loop operation which will throw a code. It will also run very rich at wot based on how the ecu adds any closed loop adjustments to wot fueling for protection. There are vendors that will do a mail order tune for various amounts to correct the maf modeling among many other things that , its a no brainer when adding that CAI if you value throttle response.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:14 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I've installed two Vararams on two different c5's. Neither one got a tune and they ran like scalded dogs.
FRCinwhite (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 06:32 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

I've got one laying around also, am hesitant to put it on. Had stumbling issues with a conical filter around 45 mph after letting off the gas. May give it a shot this weekend and see if the same issuses happen with this.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:30 PM
FRCinwhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by garrettg
I suggest the tune as you may have issues with the ecu needing to adjust 25% fueling during closed loop operation which will throw a code. It will also run very rich at wot based on how the ecu adds any closed loop adjustments to wot fueling for protection. There are vendors that will do a mail order tune for various amounts to correct the maf modeling among many other things that , its a no brainer when adding that CAI if you value throttle response.
What's the average cost of a mail order tune?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:30 PM
FRCinwhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by o2bnkc
I've installed two Vararams on two different c5's. Neither one got a tune and they ran like scalded dogs.
Good to know.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:31 PM
FRCinwhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by 001pewter
I've got one laying around also, am hesitant to put it on. Had stumbling issues with a conical filter around 45 mph after letting off the gas. May give it a shot this weekend and see if the same issuses happen with this.
Keep us posted.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:45 PM
soofrsh
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

ran my car with no tune with intake and axleback exhaust with no tune and no issues. even went a couple months without tuning after headers and xpipe, but the tune does clean everything up and runs much better
Old 03-27-2018, 10:47 PM
C5 Kirkland
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FRCinwhite
Best $149 you will spend on your corvette.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nly-149-a.html
Old 03-27-2018, 11:27 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default We no longer offer "mail in your pcm" pcm tunes.....

ATTENTION PLEASE READ:
I have been asked to revise this post to help avoid any confusion.

YES, WE WILL ALWAYS BE IN THE MAIL ORDER TUNE BUSINESS.

It has come to our attention that some have mistakenly assumed that we are no longer doing "mail order tunes".

"mail order tunes", "mail in tunes", "e-mail tunes", "remote tuning", "mail-in-your-pcm-tunes", etc

TERMS ARE ALL USED INTERCHANGEABLY and more or less MEAN THE SAME THING.

When I say the following.....

We no longer offer "mail in your pcm" pcm tunes for several reasons.
I mean WE STRONGLY DISCOURAGE MAILING IN YOUR PCM FOR "QUICKIE" or "CHEAPIE"

TUNES AS WE BELIEVE (for the reasons listed below) IT IS NOT IN YOUR BEST INTEREST.

We strongly believe that TUNING for your Corvette is an investment and NOT a "SAVE MONEY"

item and that is why we do not encourage or promote that type of tuning.

AGAIN,

YES, WE WILL ALWAYS BE IN THE MAIL ORDER TUNE BUSINESS.

#1) Your car is unable to drive for the length of time the pcm is out of the car.....

#2) overnight shipping (and potentially loss or damage while shipping) is avoided with our package.

#3) While we did a tremendous volume of "mail in" tuning years ago, the best of us still has to leave the tune
conservative because it's totally impossible to make the car run PERFECT without datalogging and re-tuning.

#4) Occasionally, we catch problems like weak fuel pumps, octane issues, mod install errors, exhaust leaks, mis wired O2 sensors
and many other problems with vehicles that we have no control over and these problems could blow your engine.
Using our autocal tool allows us to datalog and re-tune, datalog again, and again till it's perfect..... With no hidden bugs.
It's simply not possible with "one time tuning" or mail in tunes. Most will be OK, but a % of them might not be.

#5) If the customer wants to change ANYTHING....especially throttle feel, shifting parameters, or whatever
You're stuck and out of luck..... Unless you have our AutoCal... Then you just request the mods and we change it just like that.

#6) Software updates, tune updates, checking and clearing codes (not just related to tuning).... Checking to see if you're
ready for your state inspection.... etc, etc.....

#7) At the end of the day, you spent a LOT on your Corvette... and you spent a LOT on your mods....

Why would you pick the least expensive option for tuning???

It's the MOST IMPORTANT mod you'll ever buy.

Stay "Chuck CoW" TUNED!
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 04-03-2018 at 07:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck CoW:
Crosis (03-28-2018), red03vette (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 08:16 PM
FRCinwhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW

#1) Your car is unable to drive for the length of time the pcm is out of the car.....

#2) overnight shipping (and potentially loss or damage while shipping) is avoided with our package.

#3) While we did a tremendous volume of "mail in" tuning years ago, the best of us still has to leave the tune
conservative because it's totally impossible to make the car run PERFECT without datalogging and re-tuning.

#4) Occasionally, we catch problems like weak fuel pumps, octane issues, mod install errors, exhaust leaks, mis wired O2 sensors
and many other problems with vehicles that we have no control over and these problems could blow your engine.
Using our autocal tool allows us to datalog and re-tune, datalog again, and again till it's perfect..... With no hidden bugs.
It's simply not possible with "one time tuning" or mail in tunes. Most will be OK, but a % of them might not be.

#5) If the customer wants to change ANYTHING....especially throttle feel, shifting parameters, or whatever
You're stuck and out of luck..... Unless you have our AutoCal... Then you just request the mods and we change it just like that.

#6) Software updates, tune updates, checking and clearing codes (not just related to tuning).... Checking to see if you're
ready for your state inspection.... etc, etc.....

#7) At the end of the day, you spent a LOT on your Corvette... and you spent a LOT on your mods....

Why would you pick the least expensive option for tuning???

It's the MOST IMPORTANT mod you'll ever buy.

Stay "Chuck CoW" TUNED!
Chuck CoW
I'm about 3.5hrs from you. What's the average cost of your tune? I have Corsa sport axle back with X pipe and Vararam CAI on the way. Stock other than that. Would like to cam it at some point. Also is there a big power advantage with the 6 speed cars?
Old 03-29-2018, 03:44 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Please give me a call.

I'm about 3.5hrs from you. What's the average cost of your tune? I have Corsa sport axle back with X pipe and Vararam CAI on the way. Stock other than that. Would like to cam it at some point. Also is there a big power advantage with the 6 speed cars?
Please give me a call. I see you've got a few mods and possibly a cam in the future.

There's lots of option and lots for me to discover about your car, so it's best you call.

I'm always around. 914-332-0049

Chuck CoW
Old 03-30-2018, 10:39 AM
Summiz
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=garrettg;1596871794]I suggest the tune as you may have issues with the ecu needing to adjust 25% fueling during closed loop operation which will throw a code. It will also run very rich at wot based on how the ecu adds any closed loop adjustments to wot fueling for protection. There are vendors that will do a mail order tune for various amounts to correct the maf modeling among many other things that , its a no brainer when adding that CAI if you value throttle response.[/QUOTE

I've had my sitting around because as I understood it, it will cause a CEL as well for those ^ reasons.

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam CAI question

Old 03-30-2018, 01:01 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Keep us posted.
Will do, I think since it's a long weekend I'm gonna put it on today and put a few miles on it and see how everything works.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Corvettewaldon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get the tune after you do any mods you want. I would suggest getting a professional tune from a rep tuner. It makes all the difference, tuning shift points, tune to what type of driving you do, etc.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:54 PM
FRCinwhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by 001pewter
Will do, I think since it's a long weekend I'm gonna put it on today and put a few miles on it and see how everything works.
Sounds good. Mine is on the way.

Quick Reply: Vararam CAI question