Sponsored by:

Lousy, lousy gas mileage.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:46 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by calguy
...so that tells me I am getting an accurate reading, after driving for ten minutes...
​​​​​You can hammer this all you want, but the only way to calculate Average MPG is dividing driven miles by gallons consumed

See Post 52 above

Last edited by GCG; 04-10-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:42 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
...but lets look at it this way...it is obvious that Bob is having a bit of fun with this thread so lets just humor him...guaranteed that he means no ill will...
.....and btw Bob...here is a possible solution...you state that you keep topping it off with Chevron and then get bad results...try this just one time...let it go down to where it is almost completely empty...I'm sure you can figure that one out...then fill up with Chevron premium and test it out for 200 miles, if you do not get better results maybe call on the Lord for help...and I am serious Bob...
Totally agree...
The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 01:45 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by runner140*
Totally agree...
Old 04-10-2018, 02:17 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

...but lets look at it this way...it is obvious that Bob is having a bit of fun with this thread so lets just humor him...guaranteed that he means no ill will...
.....and btw Bob...here is a possible solution...you state that you keep topping it off with Chevron and then get bad results...try this just one time...let it go down to where it is almost completely empty...I'm sure you can figure that one out...then fill up with Chevron premium and test it out for 200 miles, if you do not get better results maybe call on the Lord for help...and I am serious Bob...

When I originally put the chevron in the tank for the first time, I let the tank go to just about empty, so not much of the previous gas(76) was in the tank.
When I would top the tank off, it was with chevron.
That was when I realized I was not getting the same mileage that the 76 was giving me.

Believe what you want, but in 85 miles the chevron was dammed near 1/4 of a tank used, and I had made this same trip probably 25 times with the 76, and the needle was just coming off the full mark(see gauge picture)
Like I said before, if the system was faulty, the check gauges, and low fuel would be on constantly.

I think this thread has run it's course, no sense adding to it.

Bob.

Last edited by calguy; 04-10-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:09 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

When I originally put the chevron in the tank for the first time, I let the tank go to just about empty, so not much of the previous gas(76) was in the tank.
That was when I realized I was not getting the same mileage that the 76 was giving me.

Believe what you want, but in 85 miles the chevron was dammed near 1/4 of a tank used, and I had made this same trip probably 25 times with the 76, and the needle was just coming off the full mark(see gauge picture)
Like I said before, if the system was faulty, the check gauges, and low fuel would be on constantly.

Bob.
THIS THREAD RAN ITS COURSE ON POST #5. See Post #6
Forcedvert (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 04:30 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Bob.
OK.....gotcha...didn't see the above in red...getting blind in my later years...just trying to help

oh btw Bob if this what you think

"I think this thread has run it's course, no sense adding to it."

...then pm a moderator and get it closed

Last edited by Yello95; 04-10-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:57 PM
mikeam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, no wonder your complaining about your mileage. You fill up your tank when there is still 3/4 tankful of gas. Your just hauling around OLD gas!!!

I'm coming up on 19 years (OO) with my 2K Vert and when I chill out driving on the highway (a rare event), I still get 28+mpg but I don't care about my MPG, your driving a Vette!!!

I bet you don't speed or hit it too. You better take it to the dealer and get your throttle body cleaned................

My Vette only gets high test and brand gas + Techron twice a year.

When I mention "fill up", I am saying I fill the tank when it is still at 3/4 full.
I never let it get below 3/4 full.
So on that basis, using the 76, I only need to put 1/4 of tank in to fill it, twice a month.

With the chevron, I have already had to bring it to full three times in two weeks, and I am not driving any differently with the chevron, than I do with the 76.

Bob.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:44 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Ib4L request from OP
Old 04-10-2018, 06:04 PM
calguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikeam
Well, no wonder your complaining about your mileage. You fill up your tank when there is still 3/4 tankful of gas. Your just hauling around OLD gas!!!

I'm coming up on 19 years (OO) with my 2K Vert and when I chill out driving on the highway (a rare event), I still get 28+mpg but I don't care about my MPG, your driving a Vette!!!

I bet you don't speed or hit it too. You better take it to the dealer and get your throttle body cleaned................

My Vette only gets high test and brand gas + Techron twice a year.
With gas at dammed near $4.00 a gallon, you can bet your *** I am concerned about mileage.
Some places here in LA, it is already at $4.00 a gallon.
I fully expect gas will be close to $5.00 a gallon here, before the summer ends.
Bob.

Last edited by calguy; 04-10-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:21 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

With gas at dammed near $4.00 a gallon, you can bet your *** I am concerned about mileage.
Some places here in LA, it is already at $4.00 a gallon.
I fully expect gas will be close to $5.00 a gallon here, before the summer ends.
Bob.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:17 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

...Believe what you want, but in 85 miles the chevron was dammed near 1/4 of a tank used, and I had made this same trip probably 25 times with the 76, and the needle was just coming off the full mark (see gauge picture)...
You would had a better argument if you could back it up with solid numbers: average MPG with Chevron vs average MPG with 76.

I see your point, but the way you present it is not quantifiable and you are relying in a faulty gauge. It doesn't matter if the gauge "seems" to work after 10 minutes... it doesn't add solidity to your argument

See Post 52 and Post 61 above.

Last edited by GCG; 04-10-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:26 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by AE Guy

Yello95 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I don’t believe there is a gas problem or a mileage problem. It is a more serious problem. If this logic makes sense to the op there is no one here that can help him.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:58 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I don't know about you guys but I only drive downhill and can put any kind of gas in the car. My DIC shows that am getting 358 miles to the gallon when I let off the gas.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:27 AM
TinkersVet
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

put black tape over gas gauge---- drive 100 miles ----- fill up with either -----drive 100 miles again then fill up with the other--- see number of gallons --- don't forget to write the number of gallons for each fill up ----subtract the 23 hours you sit in Cal traffic idling divide by the hemostat in the chrome muffler bearing and then you get a real answer
Old 04-11-2018, 02:38 AM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

My 02's gas gauge has been screwed up since the car was new. After driving I'd park it and the gauge said I had 1/2 a tank. The next day I start it up and the gauge says I have 3/4 tank. Then after driving it for a few miles the gauge drops down to 1/4 tank. Last weekend I did an 80 mile trip and the DIC said RESERVE FUEL before I got home. The next day I took off and the gauge said I had 1/8 tank so I drove around town looking for a 76 but never found one. Ended up at Costco and all that time driving around town the RESERVE FUEL never came back up. There's two tanks in the car so the gauge must be getting mixed up trying to figure out what tank the gas is in.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:59 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Bob.
If that is your primary concern then get a ******* Prius.

And FWIW the fuel gauges in C5s are notoriously inaccurate. They're a hint at best. I've watched mine move by 1/4 tank within a minute simply because I was parked on a slight incline. And in not a single one of your posts have I seen you make any mention of the actual # of gallons you pumped. It's all, "the gauge was here, then here, then here, and I know it's a perfect fuel gauge", no, sorry Bobby, it doesn't work that way. You cannot calculate miles per gallon without knowing the gallons.
FX VETTE (04-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Lousy, lousy gas mileage.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:59 PM
calguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by wcsinx
If that is your primary concern then get a ******* Prius.

And FWIW the fuel gauges in C5s are notoriously inaccurate. They're a hint at best. I've watched mine move by 1/4 tank within a minute simply because I was parked on a slight incline. And in not a single one of your posts have I seen you make any mention of the actual # of gallons you pumped. It's all, "the gauge was here, then here, then here, and I know it's a perfect fuel gauge", no, sorry Bobby, it doesn't work that way. You cannot calculate miles per gallon without knowing the gallons.
I find myself having to ask once again, since no one has come up with the answer.

Why, after ten minutes of driving, does the fuel gauge read the correct amount, and the low fuel, and check gauges lights go out, meaning the system is operating correctly?
If it were not, those indicators would not go out, but would continue showing a malfunction in the system.

When a fuel tank is full, I don't care if it holds 10 gallons, or 100 gallons, it is full, and when one brand of gas seems to deplete a lot quicker than another brand, the obvious culprit is the gas, not the gauge.

Bob.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:13 PM
Chris Draper
Drifting

Location: Gilbert, Arizona Currently Own: 1998 Coupe YouTube: My Corvette Life
Received 494 Likes on 208 Posts

Today I drove about 85 miles, and it used almost a quarter of a tank.
With union 76, going the same miles, the needle would just be coming off the full mark, and not quite to the 1/8th mark.
If the above is true, that means you are getting aprox 680 miles on a tank on 76 gas. Given the tank is 19.1 gallons, that would be 35.6mpg. This seems high, even for highway driving.

On Chevron your claim equals about half: 17.8mpg, which seems more along the normal fuel consumption for city driving a C5.

Last edited by Chris Draper; 04-11-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:24 PM
tbill
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

reading this made my day today

gonna put gas in the vette on the way home from work, don't care what it costs, and not worried about how far it takes me

Quick Reply: Lousy, lousy gas mileage.