Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install package price and location on stock 04 C5Z?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Ghostwheel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam install package price and location on stock 04 C5Z?

Power goal on my stock 144k 04' C5Z is 425+ RWHP. Best option I'm seeing is a location in Virginia that offers some sort of cam install package. I'll probably need to go ahead and have some maintenance things taken care of while they're in there (timing chain, guides, plugs) and will definitely need a tune. I live in an apartment complex and this is my daily driver, can't do it myself. Can anyone recommend or is anyone aware of somewhere in Virginia that can do this for less than 2k? I've heard of a place out in Virginia Beach that does this stuff but charges over double what I'm hearing folks on the forum were charged.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:18 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

If you want to take a little more of a road trip, Horse Power Addicts in Delaware runs cam package specials all the time. Great reputation on the forum.
The following users liked this post:
HorsePowerAddicts (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Ghostwheel
Advanced

Might have to. Our local shop (Zip Corvette) won't do anything to my car at 144k for fear it would blow up while tuning, then started saying I need brake ducting and new calipers installed before I go to a trackday. But they did say they would build everything from scratch! Not exactly what I'm looking for.

Edit:

Here was the other option:
http://www.virginiaspeed.com/c5-corv...ance-packages/

Prices seem a little steep and no Cam package. They quoted me 5k for "Stage 3". Also out the window.

Last edited by Ghostwheel; 04-17-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:34 PM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

Give us a shout and we can help you out. Check our site out for some more info.

https://horsepower-addicts.com/
Ghostwheel (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:05 PM
Ghostwheel
Advanced

Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts
Give us a shout and we can help you out. Check our site out for some more info.

https://horsepower-addicts.com/
Damnit, why can't you guys be in Virginia.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:45 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

With those miles after a cam expect to need a clutch replacement within the year, maybe sooner. Not entirely cheap. While its out best time to freshen the transmission & torque tube. Gets expensive.

Daily driver living in an apartment having others do the work? I'd keep the car mostly stock aside from bolt ons and have less (major) issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by ~Josh:
Ghostwheel (04-20-2018), slowblue98 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:30 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Josh
With those miles after a cam expect to need a clutch replacement within the year, maybe sooner. Not entirely cheap. While its out best time to freshen the transmission & torque tube. Gets expensive.
This is good advise if you still have a stock clutch. Do a quick search and see how many threads there are about clutch issues. Always pops up after adding HP and is super frustrating.

You might consider having the shop do a compression test before beginning the work, just to give you an idea of the health of the cylinders. Won't tell you what shape the bearings are in, but it's a start.

Given the higher miles and the fact that it's a DD and need reliability, there are a number of maintenance items you should consider while you're in there since most of these items have to be taken off anyways so it's no extra labor. Definitely new lifters/guides. Obviously if you pull the heads to do new lifters, you'll need new head gaskets. The OE head bolts are TTY so they can't be reused, so I'd recommend the ARP head bolts. Strongly consider doing the Straub trunion upgrade for the rockers. Depending on how aggressive your cam is, you'll likely need new valve springs. With a more aggressive cam and stiffer valve springs, then new push rods are recommended. Would be a good time to replace the oil pump. You already mentioned the timing chain. Stuff like the water pump is optional, but it's coming off anyways, so if it's original you might think about that. Same thing with the serp belt, ac belt and the idler pulley's; if they're older, replace them. Also consider they harmonic balancer. The OE unit is known to separate and wobble. The ATI pulley is probably the nicest but expensive, the Powerbond is a good OE replacement at a lower price point.

I know that seems like a lot, but doing it "right" is never cheap. Not everything is mandatory, but just understand the correlation between each item you leave off and the associated risk of an older higher mileage part failing.
Ghostwheel (04-20-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 04:14 PM
Ghostwheel
Advanced

Sorry for the late response but all great advice, thank you everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam install package price and location on stock 04 C5Z?

Quick Reply: Cam install package price and location on stock 04 C5Z?