Sponsored by:

How much blue is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 08:56 PM
Logan_IDR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much blue is too much?

I am getting my 97 wrapped Satin blue in the next couple months and am also planning on fixing up the interior of the car because the two previous owners didn't care for it much and left it cracking. I am planning on getting the new seat covers done with blue stitching to match the exterior wrap. But recently I had seen an ad for SafetyRestore's custom colored seatbelts, and considered getting a blue set for the car as well. Will this make the interior a little too much blue? I know the new C7 can pull off the orange exterior, stitching and seatbelts really well. But do you think it will be a little much on the C5? Thanks in advance
Old 04-20-2018, 09:02 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,232 Likes on 1,589 Posts

My C5Z is Electron Blue. I bought an aftermarket steering wheel, and Redline Goods shift boot, e-brake boot, and console lid cover. I had the option to get blue stitching on everything, but opted for black. Glad I did. Less is more...
Old 04-20-2018, 09:48 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Wrap lasts a few years at best.

I'd avoid a smurf situation with stitching and hard to reverse stuff that will make the car weird without the matching wrap down the road.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

My coupe is electron blue and while I have black and gray interior, I did paint the radio bezel, center console, knee bolster, etc. in electron blue. Bringing some exterior color into the interior can go quite well with these cars.
The following users liked this post:
chasboy (04-21-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 10:21 PM
NCVette1
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Your interior will last much longer than a wrap. If for some reason it has to be removed you'll still have the silver paint and blue interior. It's not a bad thing but something to think about.

I think a little blue inside would look good though. The stitching is a good idea. I'm not sold on a blue belt. If you get it post some pictures and win me over.

Last edited by NCVette1; 04-20-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:30 PM
Logan_IDR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ~Josh
Wrap lasts a few years at best.

I'd avoid a smurf situation with stitching and hard to reverse stuff that will make the car weird without the matching wrap down the road.
I am getting the wrap done to make sure I like the color on the car before I spend the extra in paint. If I don't like it I will take it off and get a different shade.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:20 PM
Logan_IDR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NCVette1
Your interior will last much longer than a wrap. If for some reason it has to be removed you'll still have the silver paint and blue interior. It's not a bad thing but something to think about.

I think a little blue inside would look good though. The stitching is a good idea. I'm not sold on a blue belt. If you get it post some pictures and win me over.
My issue is I keep comparing to my girlfriend's dad's '96 GS which has complete red guts, everything in that car is red. So I can't seem to figure out what would be just the right amount. I've also painted the calipers the same blue, so it would still complement.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:21 PM
Logan_IDR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
My coupe is electron blue and while I have black and gray interior, I did paint the radio bezel, center console, knee bolster, etc. in electron blue. Bringing some exterior color into the interior can go quite well with these cars.
Do you have any pictures? I'd love to see so I can picture it a bit better.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have a Nassau Blue with an interior that matches the Z06 red gut scheme.but in blue. I like it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tuco:
Logan_IDR (04-23-2018), mre1974 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 10:43 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Logan, if you look at Tuco’s interior he already has more blue than you are looking at and his looks great! Don’t be afraid of stitching, it’s a great, yet subtle enhancement. If you are going to stay with a blue exterior no matter what happens, you will be fine.
Here’s mine, colorscheme to complement the pewter paint.

The following 2 users liked this post by chasboy:
Logan_IDR (04-23-2018), SG Lou (04-26-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 12:45 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by Logan_IDR
I am getting my 97 wrapped Satin blue in the next couple months and am also planning on fixing up the interior of the car because the two previous owners didn't care for it much and left it cracking. I am planning on getting the new seat covers done with blue stitching to match the exterior wrap. But recently I had seen an ad for SafetyRestore's custom colored seatbelts, and considered getting a blue set for the car as well. Will this make the interior a little too much blue? I know the new C7 can pull off the orange exterior, stitching and seatbelts really well. But do you think it will be a little much on the C5? Thanks in advance
Maybe you can get some more opinions. There's no accounting for taste. Do what you want, you have to live with it. Better to have too little than too much.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:31 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by chasboy
Don’t be afraid of stitching, it’s a great, yet subtle enhancement. If you are going to stay with a blue exterior no matter what happens, you will be fine.

Well done, looks fantastic.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:38 AM
RedlineGoods.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07,-'13

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
I bought an aftermarket steering wheel, and Redline Goods shift boot, e-brake boot, and console lid cover.
RedlineGoods here, happy to assist! Please se what we have for your C5 here: https://www.redlinegoods.com/C5shiftboot.php

Take care

Jack
RedlineGoods Team

Join us on FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM for product updates, contests and DISCOUNT CODES!!!

FYRARMS (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 03:32 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RedlineGoods.com
RedlineGoods here, happy to assist!
Well, my entire family is Polish, so next time you ship me something, please include some good pierogi and kielbasa!
Old 04-23-2018, 04:14 PM
Logan_IDR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tuco
I have a Nassau Blue with an interior that matches the Z06 red gut scheme.but in blue. I like it.

Looks great! Thanks.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:16 PM
Logan_IDR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chasboy
Logan, if you look at Tuco’s interior he already has more blue than you are looking at and his looks great! Don’t be afraid of stitching, it’s a great, yet subtle enhancement. If you are going to stay with a blue exterior no matter what happens, you will be fine.

I love the diamond stitch pattern! Looks great! My thought it if worse come to worst, and I take the blue wrap off, that silver and blue still look great together and it would still be a jaw dropping combo.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:57 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,954 Likes on 941 Posts

I think some guys go too overboard trying to get their cars all one color...blue seats, blue mats, blue shifter, blue calipers, blue exterior...after a while you take away any contrast that makes the car look good in the first place.

The cars that REALLY stand out to me, when judging a show, are the ones that make subtle changes, but ones that dont make the car look tacky or overdone.

If your car is RED (for example) add a "touch" of red on the interior (grab rail wraps, maybe a red arm rest or a red logo'ed floor mat (not a red floor mat - just the logo)...

I LOVE the stitching the one gentleman posted above - now it may not be subtle, but its classy, and rich looking.

To me, when you add color upon, color, upon color, you really "cheapen" the look of the car...just my .02 cents. At the end of the day, its your car...decorate it the way you want...

Get notified of new replies

To How much blue is too much?

Old 04-24-2018, 09:21 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Logan_IDR
I love the diamond stitch pattern! Looks great! My thought it if worse come to worst, and I take the blue wrap off, that silver and blue still look great together and it would still be a jaw dropping combo.

Exactly!!! When I had my black Z, I was very much aware of the most common combo of accent colors which was black/red. I went with blue lighting and a black perforated leather and white trim where I could put it. Subtle, but it was individual and not typical.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:58 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

I have a Nassau Blue C5 and the only thing I've ever had blue in the interior is one day I decided to see how just some blue trim would look around the cluster, bezel, and HVAC vents. I disliked it so much after a week that I pulled it all back out and left it all black.

Colored interior pieces are very polarizing. If you ever decided to sell they can be a "make or break" on a sale simply because people know they have to live with what is in there and also it may not be of the best quality (sub-par work). Remember that more than looking at the outside of the car you have to actually sit in and handle the inside; you want something you can live with. The other issue I always see is people tend to either go a little overboard or not do enough.

Another issue I believe occurs with the C5 is that all coloring does is highlight some of the car's short-comings. At least with something like all-black it tends to "hide" the short-cuts and cheaper components. It can also make some of the serious interior upgrades like the ones posted above really stand out when they are performed.
FYRARMS (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:30 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

I agree with Velocity. While everyone has different tastes, I personally prefer a much more subtle approach to interior "color". Visually, I think the exterior of the car is what your eyes should naturally be drawn to. Painting interior panels bright colors, adding colored upholstery, etc. makes your eyes go straight to those items. When looking at interiors, I like to focus on the dash, the gauges, etc. I just can't when the upholstery is screaming at me. Subtle is sexy. "Loud" is annoying.

As far as color-matching goes, I suppose I can handle it if it is just stitching. However, I prefer neutral colors for stitching, like white or silver. Much more subdued and much more classy. Colored stitching looks better to me if the car is painted a neutral color, like silver, white, or black. My previous Z06 was silver, and I added some red-stitched Redline Goods items that worked well, as there was red in the "Z06" emblems and the brake calipers. Thankfully, my car was not optioned with the awful "mod red" package. Eww.
Attached Images  

Last edited by FYRARMS; 04-24-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: How much blue is too much?