RST Twin Disc feels better than stock clutch - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page >

RST Twin Disc feels better than stock clutch

Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RST Twin Disc feels better than stock clutch

Old 08-09-2018, 10:13 AM
~Josh
CF Senior Member

The literature I read when I bought my RST is its good for 800. (The RXT is 1000)

Should be more than capable of handling most cars on the forum.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:17 AM
~Josh
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by _zebra View Post
why buy a 700 or 1000hp twin disk for a stock engine? i doubt that many people have that kind of money to burn...
most folks would agree that a built engine was implied. and having the power that the clutch was designed to handle, you'd still expect it to work right the first time.
Why? Because it drives almost like stock, doesnít cost much more than stock (I paid $680, retail is $750) and can handle any possible upgrades Iíd have on the current engine.

Why not is the real question...
Old 08-09-2018, 10:24 AM
_zebra
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ~Josh View Post

Why? Because it drives almost like stock, doesnít cost much more than stock (I paid $680, retail is $750) and can handle any possible upgrades Iíd have on the current engine.

Why not is the real question...
he seemed to be blasting the OP for complaining about the clutch when he had a modified engine, so i was just mentioning that it didn't matter given that the clutch was still designed to hold it.
The Following User Says Thank You to _zebra For This Useful Post:
~Josh (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 04:24 PM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by _zebra View Post
he seemed to be blasting the OP for complaining about the clutch when he had a modified engine, so i was just mentioning that it didn't matter given that the clutch was still designed to hold it.
My point, ACTUALLY, was to illustrate that over the years, I've observed MANY people ask a question or begin a discussion with an absolute minimum of information. Then as the discussion progresses, and usually NOT in the direction the OP intended, it finally comes out, bit by bit, that their car has in some way or form, been modified from stock, or some other pertinent details weren't mentioned.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:33 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
CF Senior Member

I went with the RXT twin disc on my 8 psi A&A SC.
Quiet and feels like stock.
With the stock clutch after the SC install and then longtubes with smaller pulley it would be on the floor for a few minutes after doing some blasts through the gears.
When the shop put it in they put in a new GM flywheel, as the old one was blue in places
as well as a slave and master.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:40 PM
typeav
CF Senior Member

I met someone with a Z06 441 CI N/A plus 300 shots of NOS and he told me that he had the RST and had experience no issues so far
Old 11-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Toys4Life C5
CF Senior Member

Are you guys all re-using the stock flywheel or going with a new McLeod flywheel.

I have read some info that the clutch material on the RST disk is at its smallest diameter small enough the it is not riding on the machined face of the stock flywheel by about 1/4 inch or so. Wondering if others can confirm that is the case and if it is an issue to be concerned about or not on a 550rwhp application? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:34 PM
~Josh
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Toys4Life C5 View Post
Are you guys all re-using the stock flywheel or going with a new McLeod flywheel.

I have read some info that the clutch material on the RST disk is at its smallest diameter small enough the it is not riding on the machined face of the stock flywheel by about 1/4 inch or so. Wondering if others can confirm that is the case and if it is an issue to be concerned about or not on a 550rwhp application? Thanks in advance!
Iíve not taken mine off after instal but I had my stock flywheel resurfaced. Some of the appeal was the cost factor and dumping money on a flywheel negates the purpose. This is advertised as an 800hp clutch so 550rwhp is well within the margin.

My flywheel had a couple blue spots but after machining it was solid raw/white metal all across. If you decide on this clutch get a metal alignment tool as the plastic version wonít keep both disks perfectly aligned when tightening the pressure plate. Makes it impossible to stab the input shaft of the torque tube past both disks. Got a metal tool and retorqued the PP and then the TT installed like butter.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:40 PM
~Josh
CF Senior Member

Also make sure the McLeod will install onto the dowels of your flywheel. Best to check this on the ground BEFORE you have the flywheel mounted to the crank. Ask me how I know. I ended up taking the FW off, knocking out the dowels and tapering the tips slightly so the holes in the McLeod plate would slide over. Tap the pins back in the flywheel, test fit on the ground and THEN install the flywheel onto the engine.

You’ve just learned the easy way.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Toys4Life C5
CF Senior Member

Also make sure the McLeod will install onto the dowels of your flywheel. Best to check this on the ground BEFORE you have the flywheel mounted to the crank. Ask me how I know. I ended up taking the FW off, knocking out the dowels and tapering the tips slightly so the holes in the McLeod plate would slide over. Tap the pins back in the flywheel, test fit on the ground and THEN install the flywheel onto the engine.

Youíve just learned the easy way.
Thanks Josh!
3 Questions.
1. How long have you had yours.
2. What is you ballpark HP/Torque
3. What RPM do you typically shift at when getting on it and how often does it see that rpm?
4. Have you ever had any high RPM shift issues?

Thanks!
Toys.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:38 PM
~Josh
CF Senior Member

1) a year but not driven much
2) donít know, street tuned not dyno tuned
3)redline/weekend toy
4)pedal was on the floor with the stock (2nd new LS6) clutch after maybe 6 gear changes wide open. Drive easy for 5 minutes and maybe one or two shifts before limp pedal. Let the car cool off and repeat. Iím sure some of the 2nd and 3rd gear issues I found when I took the box apart is due to procrastinating in changing the clutch sooner. It wasnít a daily and time went by, but each time you scratch the gear the slider is grinding and damaging the engagement teeth on the gear. Each gear cost $330 from the cheapest place to get oem Tremec.

I have no regrets with the RST aside from learning what Iíve mentioned the hard way.

5) Side note- my old c6z had an RXT when I bought it and it was flawless. Sold the car when I bought my old c5z back.

6) forgot to mention to install a remote speed bleeder when you swap the clutch. I got mine from Tick ($50)

still putting it all together after tearing the transmission back out to rebuild it.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:32 AM
Toys4Life C5
CF Senior Member

1) a year but not driven much
2) donít know, street tuned not dyno tuned
3)redline/weekend toy
4)pedal was on the floor with the stock (2nd new LS6) clutch after maybe 6 gear changes wide open. Drive easy for 5 minutes and maybe one or two shifts before limp pedal. Let the car cool off and repeat. Iím sure some of the 2nd and 3rd gear issues I found when I took the box apart is due to procrastinating in changing the clutch sooner. It wasnít a daily and time went by, but each time you scratch the gear the slider is grinding and damaging the engagement teeth on the gear. Each gear cost $330 from the cheapest place to get oem Tremec.

I have no regrets with the RST aside from learning what Iíve mentioned the hard way.

5) Side note- my old c6z had an RXT when I bought it and it was flawless. Sold the car when I bought my old c5z back.

6) forgot to mention to install a remote speed bleeder when you swap the clutch. I got mine from Tick ($50)

still putting it all together after tearing the transmission back out to rebuild it.

HAHA - Thats awesome - only on corvette forum. Thanks!!
Old 11-09-2018, 01:14 AM
neutron82
Bangin' Gears
Support Corvetteforum!

there's a vendor offering a pretty good group buy deal on the rxt with steel flywheel, it might be worth it to just go that route... or maybe they can do a mix of rst and rxt, I'm kinda curious about the rxt1200 myself
Old 11-14-2018, 06:53 PM
Mike'sZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Monster LT1-S has well known noise in neutral, clutch out (gear roll over).

Does the Mcleod? I heard all twin disks make noise in neutral
Old 11-16-2018, 01:26 PM
Mike'sZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

crickets

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RST Twin Disc feels better than stock clutch

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: