Sponsored by:

[Z06] Chasis Stiffener/harness bar

Old 05-18-2018, 01:59 AM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Chasis Stiffener/harness bar

I'm looking to improve my 01 Z06 for the track. I need to install race seats and restraints, but I've been told that racing restraints without a roll bar is a potential death wish. I still want to the car to be streetable, no full roll bar, so I was looking at this for added safety for non racing track days:

https://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-...7-2004-c5.aspx

I can't find any other pics of the installation. Anyone have any? Any comments on the partial roll bar?
Old 05-18-2018, 07:36 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterC3
I'm looking to improve my 01 Z06 for the track. I need to install race seats and restraints, but I've been told that racing restraints without a roll bar is a potential death wish. I still want to the car to be streetable, no full roll bar, so I was looking at this for added safety for non racing track days:

https://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-...7-2004-c5.aspx

I can't find any other pics of the installation. Anyone have any? Any comments on the partial roll bar?
Do

You

Google?????????????

https://www.google.com/search?client....0.shT6VzEBH3U
Old 05-18-2018, 07:38 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,312 Likes on 884 Posts

I would think that if you track your car but it is still mainly a road car or daily driver, you do not need a roll cage. A harness bar and 4 or 5 point harness would be more appropriate.

If you want to stiffen up the car, a thicker tunnel plate would be better.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:14 PM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
I would think that if you track your car but it is still mainly a road car or daily driver, you do not need a roll cage. A harness bar and 4 or 5 point harness would be more appropriate.

If you want to stiffen up the car, a thicker tunnel plate would be better.

An instructor said that if you install a harness with out a roll bar you run the risk breaking your neck if you roll the car. Apparently the restraints prevent your body from bending to avoid being crushed by the squashed roof. I'm sure there are differing views on this...

So I'm looking for some added protection, but not a full roll bar for competition. The unit in the link seems to be ideal in that there are no bars restricting the door way. So, FASTFATBOY, I'm looking for feedback on that particular unit. THX
Old 05-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I just added 6pt harnesses and a harness bar to my car, and will likely be removing the harness bar and doing a rear roll bar later on.

There is a chance that the car could roll and the roof cave in and you'd hit your head...but it's an incredibly slim chance. I'd say there is a higher risk of sever neck damage from no HANS, and that should be the concern instead of some super hypothetical rollover incident where the roof caves in and kills the occupant. Because, Let's face it, if that happens you're screwed either way. Anyone that claims they can willingly move out of the way of a collapsing roof in the fraction of a second it probably happens, while fighting the shear amount of force that cause it in the first place...is full of BS. I seriously doubt that the entire seat assembly will break and somehow fold and the seatbelt suddenly get slack at the same time so you can bend over during the crash. It doesn't even make sense.

So...I see the real issue with harness on the street is no HANS. The belts will stretch a bit, but I wouldn't think anywhere near as much as the OEM 3pt, and all that momentum will make your head snap forward.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:59 PM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
I just added 6pt harnesses and a harness bar to my car, and will likely be removing the harness bar and doing a rear roll bar later on.

There is a chance that the car could roll and the roof cave in and you'd hit your head...but it's an incredibly slim chance. I'd say there is a higher risk of sever neck damage from no HANS, and that should be the concern instead of some super hypothetical rollover incident where the roof caves in and kills the occupant. Because, Let's face it, if that happens you're screwed either way. Anyone that claims they can willingly move out of the way of a collapsing roof in the fraction of a second it probably happens, while fighting the shear amount of force that cause it in the first place...is full of BS. I seriously doubt that the entire seat assembly will break and somehow fold and the seatbelt suddenly get slack at the same time so you can bend over during the crash. It doesn't even make sense.

So...I see the real issue with harness on the street is no HANS. The belts will stretch a bit, but I wouldn't think anywhere near as much as the OEM 3pt, and all that momentum will make your head snap forward.

I'm not sure he meant you can willingly bend over to avoid getting crushed, simply the bod has somewhere to go when not so restrained. But your point is well taken, the odds...

But the HANS thing, what about the airbag?
Old 05-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

If you have a 5 or 6 pt harness on and you are not up next to the steering wheel, more than likely the air bag will go off and not even touch you. Your might look at removing the fuse when on the track if you are properly harnessed and have a HANS.

Get notified of new replies

To Chasis Stiffener/harness bar

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Chasis Stiffener/harness bar