Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long term storage in garage - how best to avoid flat spotting tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 10:50 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

If I had to park a car for two years I would sell it and buy another when the time came.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:50 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by apex26
Lots of good ideas here, one more thing is if you can arrange for it to be started occasionally, especially since it's cold, non-climate controlled storage. You wouldn't want some valves open for two years, allowing humidity and things that crawl into the cylinders, you might get grudge rings where rings rust to the cylinders even if you oil them. Even starting it once a quarter year would help. Probable investing in a cheap humidity guage on it's roof as well. Humidity is it's mortal enemy.
I'm sure that you're going to get a lot of "push back" over this, but let me say that I agree with you, 100%. I've been storing various cars "for the winter", since the late 1970s, and I've always managed to start them up, and let them run for about 15 minutes, at least twice, during the winter. Gets the oil circulating around, oiling up the various gaskets and seals, helps prevent the valve springs from taking a "set", gets the a/c exercising, the battery charging, as well as giving me a chance to look the car over.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:42 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm sure that you're going to get a lot of "push back" over this, but let me say that I agree with you, 100%. I've been storing various cars "for the winter", since the late 1970s, and I've always managed to start them up, and let them run for about 15 minutes, at least twice, during the winter. Gets the oil circulating around, oiling up the various gaskets and seals, helps prevent the valve springs from taking a "set", gets the a/c exercising, the battery charging, as well as giving me a chance to look the car over.

You are also adding moisture and contaminants to the oil. Not enough time to boil them off. Not to mention adding 2 or more totally dry startups each year. Most wear occurs at that time. I did a lot of research over the years because I live in the snow belt. The experts recommend pulling the battery out and don't start the car until it's time to drive again.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:10 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I've been storing cars since 1971, and taught auto mechanics, had 100's of motors apart. If you're not going to let it reach operating temp, DON'T START IT. Honda recommends moving the piston on single cylinder motors to set the piston at TDC so the valves are closed for storage. Can't do that on a V8. Mark Twain said an "expert" was a fool 50 miles from home, lot's of them out there, recliner "experts".
Old 05-27-2018, 03:58 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
You are also adding moisture and contaminants to the oil. Not enough time to boil them off. Not to mention adding 2 or more totally dry startups each year.
Our Corvettes have an oil temperature gauge, which conveniently tells us when the oil has reached temperature, to sufficiently "boil off" any moisture. Simply run the engine until it gets to that point. And for that matter, when I drive my car, the oil temp seldom gets over 180-190*, and since water boils at 212*, it appears that I seldom "boil off" the moisture that accumulates in it, regardless.

And IMHO, by starting the car 2-3 times during the winter, I circulate oil to the surfaces that tend to bleed it off, therefore, the "dry start syndrome" is potentially minimized.

("apex26", see what I meant??)
Old 05-27-2018, 06:08 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Our Corvettes have an oil temperature gauge, which conveniently tells us when the oil has reached temperature, to sufficiently "boil off" any moisture. Simply run the engine until it gets to that point. And for that matter, when I drive my car, the oil temp seldom gets over 180-190*, and since water boils at 212*, it appears that I seldom "boil off" the moisture that accumulates in it, regardless.

And IMHO, by starting the car 2-3 times during the winter, I circulate oil to the surfaces that tend to bleed it off, therefore, the "dry start syndrome" is potentially minimized.

("apex26", see what I meant??)
There really is no good way to store a car for 2 years. Over the winter for 6 months it's best to leave them alone according to top collectors.

Quick Reply: Long term storage in garage - how best to avoid flat spotting tires?