Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today is the day I make the decision on headers for my C5 and I need everyone’s help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 03:23 AM
C5 for life
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE=Not4spd;1597263850]You do realize those aren't longtubes right? Unless I'm missing something they appear to be mid length headers.

Similar to these:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&gclsrc=aw.ds[/QUOTE

You might be on to something, by comparison the only difference I see is the flange on the collectors. And with a difference of that much in price that’s enough to irritate me... ugh...
Old 05-24-2018, 03:31 AM
C5 for life
Pro

At what length is considered long tube? Here’s some pics of the ones I chose.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:38 AM
C5 for life
Pro

At the end of the day. This is what I can afford. When you try to find a product that cost less than the industry’s leading equipment, you always get what you pay for. I’ll be happy when it’s on and I can focus on the next phase of my car.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:03 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Kinda off topic but if I was installing headers I would replace the starter and add a heat shield to the new one. It would suck to have to remove headers to replace a starter. It kinda sucks dropping the stock exhaust to replace a starter but that's a lot easier than headers.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:36 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

[QUOTE=C5 for life;1597264173]
Originally Posted by Not4spd
You do realize those aren't longtubes right? Unless I'm missing something they appear to be mid length headers.

Similar to these:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&gclsrc=aw.ds[/QUOTE

You might be on to something, by comparison the only difference I see is the flange on the collectors. And with a difference of that much in price that’s enough to irritate me... ugh...

Remember we all have a learning curve when we are first with a new vehicle, engine type, or whatever.
Unfortunately, you were apparently on a very short time fuse with the discount being offered you. You will always get different ideas from members, with everyone offering their opinion based upon their own individual experiences, and what their personal goals are for their car. Are they preparing a weekend only driving car, a show car, a drag car, a track car or ??? Those differences can matter greatly in how their car is built.
Often, two or three or even four of the ideas are good. You have to determine what the best approach is for you based upon how this information helps you realize the goals you have for your car, and often it takes more than the one or two days you allowed to really dig into the info given.
As an example, several members provided input on the size of the header tubes - 1 3/4" or 1 7/8". The overall consensus was use the larger tube if you are going big cubic inches, or forced induction. Without this, the larger tubes are overkill. Will it hurt your performance? Probably a little - primarily on the low end - but it won't be earth shattering. You can even let the various inputs drive you to research whatever change you are considering so that you know what is best for your purpose.
However, if in every choice you go on the more aggressive path you can affect your performance. Hopefully, in the future, you'll have a little more time before you have to pull the trigger so you can digest the members' input. Some of the guys and gals on here go back to the Corvette's solid axle, carburetor days and have tons of potentially valuable insight.
Best wishes with this mod to your Vette, and best wishes for many years of enjoyable driving and tinkering with it!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:05 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Collectors sit quite a bit further back as seen in my LT install. You will learn as you go. I would just just suggest researching quite a bit before pulling the trigger on any mods/brands. I made the mistake of doing things a certain way the first go around and now I'm having to go back to redo some things.
Attached Images     
Old 05-24-2018, 08:09 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm
Kinda off topic but if I was installing headers I would replace the starter and add a heat shield to the new one. It would suck to have to remove headers to replace a starter. It kinda sucks dropping the stock exhaust to replace a starter but that's a lot easier than headers.
, good idea if you have the extra $1-150 to do it... it's also a good idea to use a truck starter with 2 long bolts to eliminate the possibility of snapping the ear off the block... the bosch sr8581n is a great choice in my opinion

Last edited by neutron82; 05-24-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:40 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

these are in your price range, https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pipe-used.html

Quick Reply: Today is the day I make the decision on headers for my C5 and I need everyone’s help!