Sponsored by:

Holy cow I love it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Triscaphe
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Holy cow I love it!

Well folks, I've been driving my newly-acquired 2000 MY vert for the past month-and-change and I just finished my first cross-country road trip with it.

I found it perfectly-maintained and in mint-condition from a guy whose collection was outgrowing his garage. It took me a couple days to get back up to speed with the stick shift (it's been a few years and this is the first manual I've commuted in; most of my stick shift time was on farm equipment growing up), but I'm back in practice. The bottom only took a couple of scrapes, one from a speed bump that is just too damned tall and the other getting out of a parking lot with a little too much angle (I'll be looking into MY touchup jobs when life settles down). I've touched that front air dam to the ground more times than I care to remember, though.

Overall, it's a dream commuter and it makes me almost wish I lived further from work. Not only is the speed fun, but the ability to move around in traffic is an absolute dream! No longer do I have to plan out my interstate merges 5 car-lengths in advance; now I can drop a couple of gears, step on it, and be moving the correct speed within a couple of seconds.

I also just moved the family out south of Boise. It was a 12 hour drive on the way there (myself in the 26' moving truck, my wife following with the kids in the Outback) and an 11 hour drive back the next day (also in the moving truck). I crashed at a buddy's house (the guy who was guarding the vette for me) for a few hours, then saw a couple of friends before heading back in my dream car. It took me 8.5 hours (with a few stops for gas along the way) and it was glorious.

I stopped early on to pick up a radar detector from Walmart; it saved me at least a couple of unpleasant conversations along the way. After the initial Sacramento-area traffic, I hit the long open road towards Reno. The car performed beautifully and I have to say that the climb to and descent from Tahoe was an infinitely more pleasant experience with an engine whose RPM gauge is x1000 (vs x100 in the diesel truck). I was able to zip right past semis, feeling a brief twinge of sympathy for them each time. Also, as gorgeous as that pass is from the cab of a diesel monster, it's even better with the top down sitting just a few feet off the ground.

Nevada and SE Oregon were uneventful. Lots of long stretches of road, interrupted occasionally by a tiny town or gas station. The car offered no protest whenever I wanted to pass people who were out for leisurely drives through the desert (vs my 3rd trek in 3 days).

Idaho itself was beautiful during the day. At night, the bluffs were harder to appreciate, even with the barely-waning moon. I made it up and down a few decent hills before turning off on the home stretch (which itself was still a couple hours long). I had put the top up in Oregon because the temperature was dropping and I needed a break from the road noise, but when I hit that home stretch, I pulled over, dropped the top, and grabbed my sweater. I was not disappointed. The stars were brilliant. I had to stop a couple of times and kill the lights just to appreciate them.

On the final 90 minute stretch, I became close friends with 4th gear. It goes slow enough to stay under the speed limit on curves, but can still get you up to ridiculous speeds, and it can reach them very quickly. I did one run that was way too fast and was reminded how much shimmy the wind can add when you are going too fast. That was the only time I really scared myself, and I backed off to more appropriate speeds afterwards.

All told, it took me 8.5 hours, nearly 25% faster than in the empty truck, and it was an absolute blast the entire way =)

P.S. Yes, I know late at night in unfamiliar territory is not a good place to stretch the car's legs; it was just too good to resist. I'm glad that my too-fast trip was done in a car that's designed to go fast and stick to the road =)

In conclusion, thank you for all the help figuring out what I wanted to get and how to get it. I scored a good deal on a fantastic car and it has yet to disappoint. Now to go was off all the bugs I murdered on the way...
Old 07-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Awesome recount of your adventure. Welcome to Corvette life! 👍
Old 07-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
Awesome recount of your adventure. Welcome to Corvette life! 👍
———-

I’m as enthusiastic about my Corvette now as I was 7 years ago when I bought it, maybe even more so. I’m guessing you’ll be that way too.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on picking up a C5 - one of the best Corvettes in my book. Sounds like a really fun trip you had and a great way to get used to the car. Hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:18 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Congrats on your 2000 MY Vert and welcome. Post some pictures of your new ride.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:47 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Welcome aboard! And yes... post pics of your new ride.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:51 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Congratulations. Now post some pics.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:28 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your MY C5!
Sounded like a great way to really get to know your new car.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:36 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Old 07-05-2018, 09:12 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Welcome to the asylum...
Old 07-05-2018, 09:13 AM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

I enjoyed the recounting of your Corvette adventure. I can tell you this for me, it doesn't get old. I enjoy each outing in my '99 vert just like the first. Great and enjoyable rides and that drop top only adds to the experience. Good luck with your new baby and enjoy!
Old 07-05-2018, 12:01 PM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I always like to see people excited about their ride. I'm glad you found the one for you, and you actually kind of inspired me to try and reconnect with my car a bit more. I spend a lot of time upset about all the potholes, and the gravel, and the bugs. I don't spend enough time just enjoying the experience of driving the car.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us, here's to many many more years of pleasurable crusin' the USA.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:58 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Triscaphe
Well folks, I've been driving my newly-acquired 2000 MY vert for the past month-and-change and I just finished my first cross-country road trip with it.

I found it perfectly-maintained and in mint-condition from a guy whose collection was outgrowing his garage. It took me a couple days to get back up to speed with the stick shift (it's been a few years and this is the first manual I've commuted in; most of my stick shift time was on farm equipment growing up), but I'm back in practice. The bottom only took a couple of scrapes, one from a speed bump that is just too damned tall and the other getting out of a parking lot with a little too much angle (I'll be looking into MY touchup jobs when life settles down). I've touched that front air dam to the ground more times than I care to remember, though.

Overall, it's a dream commuter and it makes me almost wish I lived further from work. Not only is the speed fun, but the ability to move around in traffic is an absolute dream! No longer do I have to plan out my interstate merges 5 car-lengths in advance; now I can drop a couple of gears, step on it, and be moving the correct speed within a couple of seconds.

I also just moved the family out south of Boise. It was a 12 hour drive on the way there (myself in the 26' moving truck, my wife following with the kids in the Outback) and an 11 hour drive back the next day (also in the moving truck). I crashed at a buddy's house (the guy who was guarding the vette for me) for a few hours, then saw a couple of friends before heading back in my dream car. It took me 8.5 hours (with a few stops for gas along the way) and it was glorious.

I stopped early on to pick up a radar detector from Walmart; it saved me at least a couple of unpleasant conversations along the way. After the initial Sacramento-area traffic, I hit the long open road towards Reno. The car performed beautifully and I have to say that the climb to and descent from Tahoe was an infinitely more pleasant experience with an engine whose RPM gauge is x1000 (vs x100 in the diesel truck). I was able to zip right past semis, feeling a brief twinge of sympathy for them each time. Also, as gorgeous as that pass is from the cab of a diesel monster, it's even better with the top down sitting just a few feet off the ground.

Nevada and SE Oregon were uneventful. Lots of long stretches of road, interrupted occasionally by a tiny town or gas station. The car offered no protest whenever I wanted to pass people who were out for leisurely drives through the desert (vs my 3rd trek in 3 days).

Idaho itself was beautiful during the day. At night, the bluffs were harder to appreciate, even with the barely-waning moon. I made it up and down a few decent hills before turning off on the home stretch (which itself was still a couple hours long). I had put the top up in Oregon because the temperature was dropping and I needed a break from the road noise, but when I hit that home stretch, I pulled over, dropped the top, and grabbed my sweater. I was not disappointed. The stars were brilliant. I had to stop a couple of times and kill the lights just to appreciate them.

On the final 90 minute stretch, I became close friends with 4th gear. It goes slow enough to stay under the speed limit on curves, but can still get you up to ridiculous speeds, and it can reach them very quickly. I did one run that was way too fast and was reminded how much shimmy the wind can add when you are going too fast. That was the only time I really scared myself, and I backed off to more appropriate speeds afterwards.

All told, it took me 8.5 hours, nearly 25% faster than in the empty truck, and it was an absolute blast the entire way =)

P.S. Yes, I know late at night in unfamiliar territory is not a good place to stretch the car's legs; it was just too good to resist. I'm glad that my too-fast trip was done in a car that's designed to go fast and stick to the road =)

In conclusion, thank you for all the help figuring out what I wanted to get and how to get it. I scored a good deal on a fantastic car and it has yet to disappoint. Now to go was off all the bugs I murdered on the way...

Show me/us.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:21 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

After 10 yrs it's the only car I drive. You'll enjoy it very much.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:02 PM
Triscaphe
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here’s what I’ve got handy. Just took it to the wash today and got it looking decent again. Working on my coin-op efficiency...

Tomorrow is the 2nd day at my new job. We’ll see what reactions I get rolling up in this. I’m impressed at the number of stoplight roll-down-the-window compliments it’s gotten =)
Old 07-05-2018, 10:51 PM
Mitch45
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

looks good ! wonder what those hood stripes would like on Torch Red ?

Get notified of new replies

To Holy cow I love it!

Quick Reply: Holy cow I love it!