Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip and an Aero experiment...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 05:51 AM
Raith
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Road Trip and an Aero experiment...

Ok, so I am leaving on Sunday to go on a 3500 mile road trip. I will be driving my mostly stock 2002 Electron Blue Vette. It has zero engine mods, is lowered slightly on the stock bolts, and is on c5 z06 shocks and c5 z51 sway bars.

I have a theory that I can get a little bit better fuel economy if I Tape off the areas on the front bumper where the Fog lights are since there is no real air flow through to the engine bay.

I am going to cut some cardboard (or old plastic political signs) to the right shape, and then use some painters tape (and possibly a layer of gorilla tape over the painters tape to ensure it doesn't come apart) to effectively seal off those areas.

Does anyone think this will help my quest for awesome highway fuel mileage?
Old 06-29-2018, 06:53 AM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

Taking a page out of the Dodge Charger 500 playbook, Dodge engineers found that by moving the grill flush with the front of the car, the reduction in drag resulted in higher top speed, but we're talking 180+ mph.. Covering the openings in front would seem to serve the same purpose to a degree . Every little bit helps and I would imagine that you may see a mileage improvement, but I'm guessing it will be insignificant. But it probably wouldn't hurt.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:26 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Not trying to be a "smart-azz", but I would be more concerned about the condition of the tires, belts, and hoses...
The following users liked this post:
Raith (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 07:30 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

nothing measurable with what you have to measure with . .peace....edit : i mean you need more sophisticated equipment .

Last edited by bigcypress; 06-29-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Raith (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 10:04 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,298 Likes on 13,971 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

There are so many other variables that can affect fuel mileage that I think what you have proposed is an exercise in futility. Regardless of whether you can see any difference in MPG, I do not think I would want to drive around with a bunch of stuff taped to the front of my car.

But if you try it, post up your results.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:30 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Not trying to be a "smart-azz", but I would be more concerned about the condition of the tires, belts, and hoses...

I just got back from 1200 mile road trip. The differences in price and grades of gas made the most difference in fuel cost. Found some cheap 93 octane ethanol free gas near Milwaukee that gave me the best gas mileage. I wouldn't waste my time trying to improve aero to get a minimal benefit.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:33 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

How much do you think you can save on the cost of fuel by doing this? My wife sometimes will say I found gas for 2 cents cheaper on the other side of town. I try to tell her she's only going to save 40 cents on the fill up.
I would simply try to find cheaper gas on the trip. If you go into towns it is almost always cheaper than it is on the freeway.
Just my thoughts.
Have a safe trip!
Old 06-29-2018, 11:45 AM
Clairvoyantwolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

About saving money by using cheaper fuel. I find that if I use anything other than a Top Tier brand gas station my fuel gauge goes wonky requiring a bottle of techron to completely fix the issue. Consequently, I go out of my way to only use Top Tier wherever possible. Something to consider.

Last edited by Clairvoyantwolf; 06-29-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:11 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Just finished a 5 day round trip from Calif to WI, 165k 01 Z06, best milage was in SD @89mph avg 15mph tailwind, 31mpg. And that was for only one tank of fuel. Overall avg for the trip was 27 mpg. OP you are not going to see any real results, just go and have a good time.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:28 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Clairvoyantwolf
About saving money by using cheaper fuel. I find that if I use anything other than a Top Tier brand gas station my fuel gauge goes wonky requiring a bottle of techron to completely fix the issue. Consequently, I go out of my way to only use Top Tier wherever possible. Something to consider.
I also use top tier fuel only. Shell if I can get it. Prices do vary. There is a website/app called gas buddy that gives current gas prices of all gas stations. Trying to save a few cents by changing aero on the car seems a little far fetched to me. When I need gas I check gps to see what brand gas stations are ahead, stop at a preferred brand and fill up.

www.gasbuddy.com

Last edited by JR-01; 06-29-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Raith (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 04:30 PM
Raith
Racer

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I am already on top of that. Tires are fairly new, all fluids changed, ac is charged, and i have basic tools and spare parts.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:36 PM
Raith
Racer

Originally Posted by JR-01
I also use top tier fuel only. Shell if I can get it. Prices do vary. There is a website/app called gas buddy that gives current gas prices of all gas stations. Trying to save a few cents by changing aero on the car seems a little far fetched to me. When I need gas I check gps to see what brand gas stations are ahead, stop at a preferred brand and fill up.

www.gasbuddy.com
Already have my route mapped through gas buddy. i just enjoy odd little experiments to see what i can pull off. short of going in and tuning the afr and timing, i know i will probably not see any real difference, but for me its the process.

also on my last trip up there a couple years ago, i mapped out only ethanol free gas stations to see if i could measure a difference in mileage. that failed because 90% of the ethanol free stations only had 87 as ethanol free

Old 06-29-2018, 04:56 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Raith
Already have my route mapped through gas buddy. i just enjoy odd little experiments to see what i can pull off. short of going in and tuning the afr and timing, i know i will probably not see any real difference, but for me its the process.

also on my last trip up there a couple years ago, i mapped out only ethanol free gas stations to see if i could measure a difference in mileage. that failed because 90% of the ethanol free stations only had 87 as ethanol free
Have fun on your trip. I averaged 26.7 mpg for the entire trip (about 1200 miles) according to the DIC. Beat that.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:04 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Aero drag does not seem to follow reason.......

Raith (06-30-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 06:10 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Not worth the time. You likely see no measurable difference and it's possible your mpg will get worse due to extra wind resistance.

Steve
Old 06-29-2018, 06:33 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I'd run 87 ethanol free gas all day long out here. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm at 5,500 ft.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:34 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01

www.gasbuddy.com
I've been using "ethanol free, 91 octane" gas in all of our cars, in my home area, for the last 3-4 years. However, it's available only in the "off brand", convenience stores. The only "top-tier" fuels available, where I live are Sunoco and Mobil, and with the exception of 1 Mobil outlet, they do not sell the ethanol free gas. When I've travelled back to my hometown in NJ, to visit the relatives, I've never been able to find ethanol free gas.

Get notified of new replies

To Road Trip and an Aero experiment...

Old 06-30-2018, 09:47 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Look at a car in a wind tunnel. I'd think there's no chance of any improvement in gas mileage. The front end would if anything just pack with air and the air flow around regardless.
And if the blocking could improve anything, it'd only be at high speeds. One less smash on the go pedal in the entire trip would make more difference. All just my opinion.
Doesn't help that the car will look odd.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:13 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Clairvoyantwolf
Old 06-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by killian96ss
Not worth the time. You likely see no measurable difference and it's possible your mpg will get worse due to extra wind resistance.

Steve
I seem to recall drag being reduced with a solid front end. The reasoning is that air gets pushed around the bumper rather than getting caught up in the foglight area and generating turbulent air, which is what causes drag. That's why one of the recommended eco-mods is blocking off the grill. By damming the air rather than letting it get inside and turbulent, aerodynamic efficiency is improved. Of course, cooling has to be properly considered.

Quick Reply: Road Trip and an Aero experiment...