Best Sound Dampening "Kit" or product?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 10:01 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

I've been impressed with the kit I got from crazy cowboy:
http://www.exoticvette.com/c5-insulation-kit.html
I went with the extreme version. Wasn't sure how well the overall performance would be, but then started the car after a week of work (new carpet and upholstry at the same time) and thought it just didn't sound right -- engine was so much quieter than I remembered... Oh, wait. That was the whole point.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:54 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Happy Vettenuts user here.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:26 AM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Also look into this website: https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/

The vendor makes a persuasive case for the need to eliminate harmonic distortion (caused by vibration of interior pieces, panels, etc.) when trying to quiet the car's interior. I used this vendor's products, specifically his extruded butyl rope and CLD tiles. Of course, I had the entire interior removed when I did this. Still, solving the vibration issue made sense to me. I ultimately attacked all of these issues: (a) harmonic distortion, (b) sound deadening, and (c) heat radiation (temperature abatement).

The Lizzard
Old 07-04-2018, 09:32 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

The foil/foam stuff, like Lowes, is designed for heat insulation, not sound insulation. You get some benefit due to the pretty poor OEM sound insulation, but you need products to stop panels vibrating and transferring noise, and something that muffles sound. Dynamat is a well known self adhesive anti vibration material, but not cheap, especially if you decide to put it everywhere.

A quick Google showed up this site as an example of people who seem to be selling the right kinds of materials: www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Haven't tried them, and have no skin in the game, but as an ex-vehicle engineer, I can say they seem to be selling the kinds of materials the manufacturers would use.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:20 PM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I put down Noinco mats to add mass/density and eliminate the vibration/buzzing associated with the flimsy, thin, fiberglass panels. I then put down a Vettenuts premium kit. I'm very happy with the results.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:02 AM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Received 175 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by royal flush
May I suggest a Rolls Royce-
Only if you have some Grey Poupon...
Old 09-12-2018, 01:27 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

I am going to try something different, I will use this to replace the jute padding, I already have a sound deadner Fatmat that really does not really do as much as I would like. other than the foil that keeps the car cooler in the driver compartment.

I plan to do a sound meter test before & after, I gained a lot more road noise with the lower profile tires I run now.,

I am looking at the Peacemaker, they sent me some samples. https://www.audimute.com/soundproofi...floor-ceilings

Quick Reply: Best Sound Dampening "Kit" or product?