Salvage Car Auctions - What To Look For with Body Damage? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page >

Salvage Car Auctions - What To Look For with Body Damage?

Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvage Car Auctions - What To Look For with Body Damage?

Old 07-09-2018, 12:35 AM
The_Backmarker
CF Member

Default Salvage Car Auctions - What To Look For with Body Damage?

Craigslist just isn't cutting it anymore (did it ever?) so I'm looking for a cheap salvage title C5 Corvette to build into a race car. A coworker recently introduced me to Copart.com (online listing of auctions for salvage titled/wrecked cars across the USA).

I'm not keen on flood-damaged cars but it seems that some C5 Corvettes have been declared a total loss with not a whole lot of body damage from a collision. What do I need to look for when considering a C5 that's been in a collision?

Last edited by The_Backmarker; 07-09-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:33 AM
bobs77vet
CF Senior Member

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

most race cars need rigid and straight frames.......what kind of race a car do you want to build and how much of the electronics are you going to take out?
Old 07-09-2018, 10:43 AM
bj1888
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bobs77vet View Post
most race cars need rigid and straight frames.......what kind of race a car do you want to build and how much of the electronics are you going to take out?
The front and rear crash bars are designed to be (relatively) easily replaced, but frame damage anywhere else will be a potential problem. The replacing the front wheel houses is also really involved (they're bonded in place).

The problem with Copart is that it's hard to actually see the car in person. You won't have a chance to do things like make sure the doors open and close without binding.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Phanni
CF Senior Member

With the cost of C-5s now, it takes very little damage for the insurance company to declare one a total loss. be careful about frame damage, but don't worry too much about body work damage. I've seen a 2004 C-5 Z06 with simply a busted up rocker panel, and rear quarter, get totaled. This was several years ago, it sold for around #15,000. Today, it'd likely be in the $10,000 range.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:10 PM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

I will take a flood car to build a racer over a wreck any day. A lot of coastal flood cars can be operational, insurance doesn't want to lifetime warranty electronics because of saltwater. Theft recovery partially stripped too. Limited parts availability has allowed some cars to be totalled with apparently minor damage. Hidden damage is the problem. Compart is the largest salvage operation in US. Its hurricane season so expect more salvage cars coming. With salvage cars you need to be sure it is not flagged to be destroyed on paperwork. Building a racer might not qualify as destroyed.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 PM
The_Backmarker
CF Member

Originally Posted by Kevova View Post
Building a racer might not qualify as destroyed.
Have you seen what happens to Spec Miata race cars? Two seasons and they pretty much qualify as destroyed!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:55 PM
ZFLASH
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14, '16

I find out tomorrow if mine is totalled or not, high water damaged. Nothing wrong with body or frame, simply beautiful. Engine and floorboards wet, L8R ZFLASH
The Following User Says Thank You to ZFLASH For This Useful Post:
The_Backmarker (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by The_Backmarker View Post
Have you seen what happens to Spec Miata race cars? Two seasons and they pretty much qualify as destroyed!
YouTube has videos where the cars don't make a pass or lap before they are done. I just recently heard about must be destroyed, just something to be aware of.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 PM
ohheyihaveaquestion

Originally Posted by The_Backmarker View Post
Craigslist just isn't cutting it anymore (did it ever?) so I'm looking for a cheap salvage title C5 Corvette to build into a race car. A coworker recently introduced me to Copart.com (online listing of auctions for salvage titled/wrecked cars across the USA).

I'm not keen on flood-damaged cars but it seems that some C5 Corvettes have been declared a total loss with not a whole lot of body damage from a collision. What do I need to look for when considering a C5 that's been in a collision?
I have had a lot of success with and found some great deals from Salvage Autos Auction and you do not need a dealer's license to use their site like you do with Copart. repairable salvage cars for sale

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Salvage Car Auctions - What To Look For with Body Damage?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: