Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:38 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06

Thank you Kenny. I appreciate your kind words and your friendship Brother.
Bro Larry...just sent you a pm...
Old 12-13-2018, 10:11 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Payment sent, will send shipping info via a PM, here, since I missed the place to put it, on the PayPal page.....
Looking forward to seeing it on your car, since we have a very similar setup.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:51 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly
Looking forward to seeing it on your car, since we have a very similar setup.
Thank you, but don't hold your breath. It's mighty cold, in my neck of the woods, right now. I discussed the pros and cons of working on it at this time of the year, with CF body and paint expert, call sign "DUB", and he suggested that I wait for warmer weather. That means probably late March, early April, of 2019. His advice was based on the aspects of working with freshly painted parts in a cold garage. My feelings were that it's too damned cold to be working on the car, at all!!

Old 12-14-2018, 07:36 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Leadfoot4 maybe I will pop down in the spring and give you a hand. Really like to see this in person.

Congrats on your purchase.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:28 AM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Thank you, but don't hold your breath. It's mighty cold, in my neck of the woods, right now. I discussed the pros and cons of working on it at this time of the year, with CF body and paint expert, call sign "DUB", and he suggested that I wait for warmer weather. That means probably late March, early April, of 2019. His advice was based on the aspects of working with freshly painted parts in a cold garage. My feelings were that it's too damned cold to be working on the car, at all!!

My typical car modification policy is anything I purchase has to marinade in the garage / cellar for a minimum of six months, more likely a full year prior to installing on the car, just so they get happy in their place first.

Besides, my car modification budget is currently at $2.85 and I've got a list on the truck I've got to work through. I like how this bumper looks a lot, but I'm curious what it will look like without flared rear fenders and much larger wheels.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:33 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
Leadfoot4 maybe I will pop down in the spring and give you a hand. Really like to see this in person.

Congrats on your purchase.

Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly
My typical car modification policy is anything I purchase has to marinate in the garage/cellar for a minimum of six months, more likely a full year prior to installing on the car, just so they get happy in their place first.
You too???

I still have a set of "shorty" headers in my basement, for a 4th gen, LT1 powered Camaro/Firebird, that I bought about 5-6 years ago. Never got around to installing them, and actually sold the car 3 years ago.....
Old 12-14-2018, 01:45 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
More pics to follow

Should have more pictures this weekend
The following users liked this post:
Quik Z06 (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 10:55 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Pete, below is a copy/paste response from another thread where the topic of my bumper came up and the sad final disposition.
What I'm out for the cost of the bumper won't make or break me, and has taught me a valuable lesson a man my age should already know.

"As for the bumper, unfortunately I will not likely ever see it on my car.
The painter has had it since March and I begged and pleaded him to get it done before my foot surgery in April. It was July before I could walk and then I had to send it back to Vengeance for an engine warranty.
I got it back in October and got to take it to one car show. It was one of those first time shows in Gallatin and they weren't gonna do the trophies until 5pm. I left at 4pm because it was already about sunset and the deer were in full rut.
I was told later that I won best in show, but all winners had to be present. Big deal, my car is worth way more to me than any trophy.
After that show I had 5 1/2 weeks before I had total knee replacement surgery scheduled. Again I begged the painter to get it done so I could prep the car for winter storage, to no avail.
He doesn't know it yet, but he is fired and can put that bumper wherever he wishes. He will never, ever get possession of my car and have it to hold hostage.
I really wanted that bumper very badly.
If I ever see one on a nice car and find a shop I can trust and get a written contract, I might buy another one and start over from scratch."

The pic you just posted is the best one yet "IMHO" and really makes me more sad, because it looks awesome and is exactly the look I desired since the first thread you posted, gauging interest.
Unfortunately in my area there just are not any vendors that are worth a damn, take pride in their work, and are reliable. Then when you throw anything that isn't 100% OEM into the equation, you get that look a dog has when it hears a weird sound it has never heard before. That's precisely why Vengeance Racing is the only people besides me that will ever turn a wrench on my car again, and I have to either drive it 250 miles there or use their transport service.
I"ll reconsider this when I am fully recovered next spring and if I can find a reputable custom paint and body shop. What I wouldn't give to be close to a place like Dave Kindig or Joe Martin's shops!
Believe me, I'm not trying to be an "azzhat" here, but something doesn't make sense. I understand that you're dealing with health issues, and I sincerely hope you recover. BUT, what happened to your fascia? If the jackass didn't paint it, and you were laid up, so you, personally, couldn't go and get it, how come nobody was sent to get it back?? If somebody was hanging on to my $600 part, for no good reason, I'd be calling a LEO, if nobody else was available to help....
Old 12-15-2018, 12:08 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,926 Likes on 2,014 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Believe me, I'm not trying to be an "azzhat" here, but something doesn't make sense. I understand that you're dealing with health issues, and I sincerely hope you recover. BUT, what happened to your fascia? If the jackass didn't paint it, and you were laid up, so you, personally, couldn't go and get it, how come nobody was sent to get it back?? If somebody was hanging on to my $600 part, for no good reason, I'd be calling a LEO, if nobody else was available to help....
I didn't read into your inquiry as you were being a jerk, you just don't have complete knowledge of everything, but the high spots I felt like writing at the time. At this point in time I have no idea what progress has been made, I haven't seen it in months.
He said he spent hours getting the release agent off and filling some places on it.
It has never been test fitted on my car, and the holes haven't been located for mounting, so if he has it completely finished, what do you think it would look like?
I'm not a paint and body guy, else I probably wouldn't be in this mess, but I'm pretty sure panels, especially aftermarket would need to be mounted and fitted before much of the prep work could be done properly.
Im not trying to sound like a jerk either, and if I'm wrong I hope someone will teach me my shortcomings.
Everything considered with him having my bumper for 9 months already, and the fact he would now need my car at his shop as well to do the job properly, $600 is pocket change in comparison to my car being held hostage, which it likely would be at this point, considering the facts thus far.
In Tennessee this is a civil matter and Law Enforcement cannot get involved without an order from the court. Now, you're getting into my area of expertise!
I am not willing to hire a scumbag lawyer and spend more money than the bumper is worth. To me that is not logical.

Last edited by lewislgZ06; 12-15-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Yello95 (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 12:40 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

I didn't read into your inquiry as you were being a jerk, you just don't have complete knowledge of everything, but the high spots I felt like writing at the time. At this point in time I have no idea what progress has been made, I haven't seen it in months.
He said he spent hours getting the release agent off and filling some places on it.
It has never been test fitted on my car, and the holes haven't been located for mounting, so if he has it completely finished, what do you think it would look like?
I'm not a paint and body guy, else I probably wouldn't be in this mess, but I'm pretty sure panels, especially aftermarket would need to be mounted and fitted before much of the prep work could be done properly.
Im not trying to sound like a jerk either, and if I'm wrong I hope someone will teach me my shortcomings.
Everything considered with him having my bumper for 9 months already, and the fact he would now need my car at his shop as well to do the job properly, $600 is pocket change in comparison to my car being held hostage, which it likely would be at this point, considering the facts thus far.
In Tennessee this is a civil matter and Law Enforcement cannot get involved without an order from the court. Now, you're getting into my area of expertise!
I am not willing to hire a scumbag lawyer and spend more money than the bumper is worth. To me that is not logical.
Excellent and logical response
Old 12-15-2018, 03:03 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

…...He said he spent hours getting the release agent off and filling some places on it.
OK, I understand completely, what you're saying. I received mine, several days ago, and I've had it in my basement, getting it "straightened out", after it being folded up in a box, for shipping. It looks pretty good, however, as you have mentioned, there are no marks at all, indicating where the mounting holes need to be drilled. Therefore, it looks like I'll have some "test fitting" and hole drilling to do, and yes, that's probably best done before paint is applied. (there DO, however, seem to be "dimples" where the tail lights and back up lights are to be located, though) Although it's been pretty cold, where I am, tomorrow looks to be above freezing, so I think I'll take the fascia outside, and give it a good bath with detergent, in hopes of getting the release agent off of it, before it has too much time to soak in.

Good luck to you, and get healthy!
lewislgZ06 (12-17-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 03:58 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

You bet, thank you.
It was about 50 degrees the day mine came. I left it outside all day and it unfolded some, but I'd say it needs significant heat to completed go all the way back. I was expecting it, but when I saw that box I was shocked. Wasn't expecting that.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:42 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

C5 COTM Coordinator

Old 12-16-2018, 02:37 AM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Your car just looks so killer, Maxx. Love that rear bumper.
Who made the hood?

Last edited by USAZR1; 12-16-2018 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:36 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Hey guys, I’ve heard Ajax or Comet and a scouring pad works really well at taking off the release agent.

And MAXX, your car is stunning!
Maxx_Z06 (12-18-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 08:25 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Hey guys, I’ve heard Ajax or Comet and a scouring pad works really well at taking off the release agent.

And MAXX, your car is stunning!

I was going to start with a bath of hot water, laced with a good dose of Dawn dish detergent, but I also have a can of Comet in the cupboard, so I'll try that, too....

UPDATE...the temp got up to almost 40*, a while ago, so I took the fascia out of the basement, and went outside with it. I started by scrubbing it down with Comet cleanser. As you initially started scrubbing it, you could readily see the soap and water "bubble up" when it first hit the surface, due to the release agent. I used LIBERAL amounts of the Comet, along with liberal amounts of elbow grease, and it appeared to "cut" the crud. I followed it up with liberal amounts of Dawn detergent, and the surface looks pretty clean.

Last edited by leadfoot4; 12-16-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:15 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Looks very nice...one question...it looks like the rear bottom under the vents is sagging...what happened???

Get notified of new replies

To FS: Urethane Duckbill Rear Bumpers

Old 12-18-2018, 10:21 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by USAZR1
Your car just looks so killer, Maxx. Love that rear bumper.
Who made the hood?
RK Sport
Originally Posted by Yello95

Looks very nice...one question...it looks like the rear bottom under the vents is sagging...what happened???
I'm not really sure what you mean by sagging? It might just be the picture...

Last edited by Maxx_Z06; 12-18-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:18 AM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Congrats Maxx Z06, that looks so cool. It would be interesting to know the aero effects with that spoiler on the Z06.
I wish mine had been done and on my car this year.
I shot you a PM, I sure would appreciate a chance to talk to you if you have a moment.
Maxx_Z06 (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 12:16 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I can empathize, when its this cold, I dont get out of bed until spring.

Quick Reply: FS: Urethane Duckbill Rear Bumpers