Sponsored by:

FS: Urethane Duckbill Rear Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 12:41 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Your car is beautiful, but this flaw was forseen and I tried to point it out that Urethane will sag when too thin.

You asked what was means by sag. IM not trying to be a boo bird. this would be a beautiful fascia but because of the design and thickness, the sun will only make it worse as it get hotter in the summer. You cant fold a factory fascia in half, I tired to tell Pete... Again you car is so nice , and the fascia is nice but it fails the form fit and function test. Consider this.. If I didn't mention it here, and you did not see it, what do you think people would say on an 100 degree day. Pointing it out now and getting on top of this is better than real disappointment in the summer.
I take no joy in pointing this out. summer is coming too., If you are upset at my honesty, I apologize, Im not going to say this is good because it is not.. Your car is too nice..
Bill aka EY
Old 12-18-2018, 12:55 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
…..I'm not really sure what you mean by sagging? It might just be the picture...
Not to be an "azzhat", but "Yellow 95" is right. The lower RH side of your fascia, right under the lower "vents", isn't holding a straight line. This was also an issue, a number of years ago, with some of the OE fascias. Based on the discussions that I read here at CF, right after I bought my C-5 in 2001, I looked into the "reinforcements" that were being marketed by ACI. They're a pair of fiberglass parts that are shaped to fit inside the lower portion of the fascia, and glued into place. They then keep the heat from the mufflers from causing the fascia to "droop". The part number for them is ACG070. I've already ordered a pair of them for my new fascia....
The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06
Congrats Maxx Z06, that looks so cool. It would be interesting to know the aero effects with that spoiler on the Z06.
I wish mine had been done and on my car this year.
I shot you a PM, I sure would appreciate a chance to talk to you if you have a moment.
I checked my inbox, didn't see a PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:26 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Not to be an "azzhat", but "Yellow 95" is right. The lower RH side of your fascia, right under the lower "vents", isn't holding a straight line. This was also an issue, a number of years ago, with some of the OE fascias. Based on the discussions that I read here at CF, right after I bought my C-5 in 2001, I looked into the "reinforcements" that were being marketed by ACI. They're a pair of fiberglass parts that are shaped to fit inside the lower portion of the fascia, and glued into place. They then keep the heat from the mufflers from causing the fascia to "droop". The part number for them is ACG070. I've already ordered a pair of them for my new fascia....
You sir are not being an "asshat" by any means...it is perfectly clear that this particular facia needs to get a rear bra to correct the granny syndrome sag...otherwise, the top part is cool......i was warned by a "friend" a long time ago about the potential granny boob syndrome and i am glad i believed him...
Old 12-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

C5 COTM Coordinator

Good information, I see what you're talking about now. I may add some as well, where did you order yours from?
Old 12-18-2018, 01:53 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,929 Likes on 2,014 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good information, I see what you're talking about now. I may add some as well, where did you order yours from?
I bookmarked this link. Seems like they about the same price everywhere that carries them.

https://www.southerncarparts.com/cor...ts-p-1937.html

Also, I re-sent you my contact info.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:01 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

C5 COTM Coordinator

I bookmarked this link. Seems like they about the same price everywhere that carries them.

https://www.southerncarparts.com/cor...ts-p-1937.html

Also, I re-sent you my contact info.
Ok, I received it this time.

Just emailed ACI as well to see what they want for the pair. I'd consider making some out of metal but i don't think i'm that crafty .

Thanks for pointing that out guys , the excitement must have made me miss it. Could we get away with installing these unpainted or will they been seen through the vents?

Last edited by Maxx_Z06; 12-18-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by Yello95
No need to paint them...
Its simple...
BTW...this WAS NOT my idea

" If the area beneath the muffler vents on your Vette' butt or want to prevent it ?
Yes various vendors sell a small plastic plate that you glue in place to straighten out the sag for $55-80.
So I thought, must be a less expensive way.....there was ".
Sorry no pics of mine, not enough space back there to get a shot.

" Purchased a piece of1/8" thick by 3/4" wide piece of aluminum stock at Lowe's
Cut it into two 12-13" pieces.

Gathered my spring clamps......used 3 per side
A tube of high temperature silicone seal

Drill several 1/4" holes along the length of the aluminum bar so the silicone seal can ooze up through the holes and help stick the bar to the silicone.
Make sure you wear disposable gloves when placing the bar as the silicone will get on you.

Cleaned the area around the sag with Windex and then alcohol
Squeezed out a thick bead on each aluminum piece
Slipped them under backside near bottom and pressed them down against the inner lip of the bumper and clamped them in place.
Put a piece of cloth between clamp and rear fascia on outside of fascia so you won't scratch the fascia...

Let sit overnight and remove the clamps."

If you cannot do this simple fix then you need to think about getting a bicycle instead of driving a vehicle
Orrrr
Order the ACI fiberglass ones and just pop them in when they arrive. I'm pretty capable of working on my car trust me, but for me if there's a product available reasonably priced to save me the trouble of crafting something to "make it work" i'll go with that choice. Time is money

Last edited by Maxx_Z06; 12-18-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:06 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by Yello95
No...the diy bars work really good...hate to tell ya this but the metal bars are much stiffer and work better...your choice though...just saying....good luck sir

better yet...maybe buy a nice tight bra for your sagging c5 granny...
Glad they worked out for you.
I had no idea you were into bra’s and sagging grannies. PM me if you want to further that discussion, let’s keep it off the vendor’s thread.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:30 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

I'm unfamiliar with the place, but I took a chance, anyway. I ordered them from 'OnlineCorvetteParts.com'. They are notably less money that anybody else that advertises them.
The following users liked this post:
Maxx_Z06 (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 08:46 AM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a couple of questions that have come to mind. Hopefully someone can answer.

1. Will this material ever become more stable/cure/harden with heat cycling over time?
2. I've heard that a flex agent is used in paint on Corvettes. I wonder if on a 100 degree plus day if it would sag enough to exceed the flex limit, or if the paint would prevent it from sagging past a certain point.

I still love this bumper and would be thrilled if it was made in carbon fiber. I realize it would significantly increase production cost, but I for one would pay stupid money for it. I believe it has the potential to be another legendary part for the C5.
I would even go as far as to say I would even entertain investing in it. The interest seemed very strong until the first ones arrived folded up in those boxes. I admit I was dumbfounded when I opened it. I knew it was scheduled for delivery that day, but UPS managed to drop it at my back door undetected. When I saw that box I thought there is no way that is a bumper.

What say ye brethren?

Last edited by lewislgZ06; 12-19-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

C5 COTM Coordinator

I have a couple of questions that have come to mind. Hopefully someone can answer.

1. Will this material ever become more stable/cure/harden with heat cycling over time?
2. I've heard that a flex agent is used in paint on Corvettes. I wonder if on a 100 degree plus day if it would sag enough to exceed the flex limit, or if the paint would prevent it from sagging past a certain point.

I still love this bumper and would be thrilled if it was made in carbon fiber. I realize it would significantly increase production cost, but I for one would pay stupid money for it. I believe it has the potential to be another legendary part for the C5.
I would even go as far as to say I would even entertain investing in it. The interest seemed very strong until the first ones arrived folded up in those boxes. I admit I was dumbfounded when I opened it. I knew it was scheduled for delivery that day, but UPS managed to drop it at my back door undetected. When I saw that box I thought there is no way that is a bumper.

What say ye brethren?
I'm with you as far as loving the design of the bumper and would've honestly ditched out the big bucks as well for Carbon Fiber if it were an option. Again, the bumper is relatively new to the market and there really isn't any other thing close besides the Tigershark or molding your own wing onto an OEM bumper.

My body shop works on Corvettes as their specialty and we both agreed we were going to see what it does with some time on the car. It does get hot as hell here in Texas so i'll be sure to let you guys know of any excessive warping or sagging. On another note, its important to manage one's expectations when going with aftermarket body parts for their car. Nothing is going to fit nor be as good quality as OEM. I'm ok with this as long as it doesn't do anything crazy in the long run.

Last edited by Maxx_Z06; 12-19-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:47 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I'm with you as far as loving the design of the bumper and would've honestly ditched out the big bucks as well for Carbon Fiber if it were an option. Again, the bumper is relatively new to the market and there really isn't any other thing close besides the Tigershark or molding your own wing onto an OEM bumper.

My body shop works on Corvettes as their specialty and we both agreed we were going to see what it does with some time on the car. It does get hot as hell here in Texas so i'll be sure to let you guys know of any excessive warping or sagging. On another note, its important to manage one's expectations when going with aftermarket body parts for their car. Nothing is going to fit nor be as good quality as OEM. I'm ok with this as long as it doesn't do anything crazy in the long run.
I dont know if my sometimes negative input is off putting or people appreciate it.for its honesty. . When we first talked about this bumper ( fascia ) I saw some issue and expressed them. I tried to get the specs. . but here is the deal, there are several critical issues with Urethane and with other polymers.. not trying to get too technical here.. Density and thickness are two different things. Specific gravity is the density of the cells, the more dense the cells are the heavier a coss section is... Neutral density is 1:1 … anything more dense will sink in water. higher the density, the less prone to shrink or sag. where the density is poor, the ( Flexural Modulus ) you run into problems like this.. its ability to flex ( as in folding in half reveals a poor FM) the less dense the molecules are the more prone the nucleus of the cell ( the air ) will expand and contract. ( the cells are breathing ) the more air in the cells the more they are effected by Hot weather. The design of this fascia is perfectly for the smooth flowing line of a C5 and not the sharp and ridged lines of a C7 ( a complete styling departure from the C5/C6 ). this fascia design ( smooth and flowing line insure that it will be of Old school 20 year old Corvette design.. ( Not bashing here ) this fascia fits perfectly in to the C5 design. IN my opinion the C5 is still relevant and breathtaking this fascia enhances that design. .

Back to understanding this fascia … its too thin and I'm sure it is large cell Urethane, allowing for flexibility.. ( flexural Modulus ) . .. I have a feeling that ( internal )stress and strain at the spoiler area will cause distortion. I tried to get the specs but was unable, the only clear evidence I have is the immediate sag on Max's reveal in Texas in cold weather...and the fact that a little bit of heat in someone basement would remove any evidence of the fold in half crease from shipping. tells me this is not dense cell urethane,, BTW the factory Fascia is dense cell urethane you could never fold it in half.. My fascia is 20 years old, and always garaged with both heat and AC in the garage. and neither side sags, however many C5
owners have had issues with their fascia.. but Ive not seen anything this dramatic in such a short time and only exposed to relatively cold weather.. I hope I am, wrong here. for Pete, and those who have bought in.
Bill aka ET member of SPE ( Society of Plastics Engineers.) SAE ( Society of Automotive Engineers
Old 12-19-2018, 06:24 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
…….Back to understanding this fascia … its too thin and I'm sure it is large cell Urethane, allowing for flexibility.. ( flexural Modulus ) . .. I have a feeling that ( internal )stress and strain at the spoiler area will cause distortion. I tried to get the specs but was unable, the only clear evidence I have is the immediate sag on Max's reveal in Texas in cold weather...and the fact that a little bit of heat in someone basement would remove any evidence of the fold in half crease from shipping. tells me this is not dense cell urethane,, BTW the factory Fascia is dense cell urethane you could never fold it in half.. My fascia is 20 years old, and always garaged with both heat and AC in the garage. and neither side sags, however many C5
owners have had issues with their fascia.. but Ive not seen anything this dramatic in such a short time and only exposed to relatively cold weather.. I hope I am, wrong here. for Pete, and those who have bought in.
Bill aka ET member of SPE ( Society of Plastics Engineers.) SAE ( Society of Automotive Engineers
This sounds somewhat less than encouraging....I wouldn't be quite as concerned, if this was the "old days", and I could simply shoot the fascia with acrylic lacquer, in my garage, like I used to do back in the 80s. $30 worth of paint, and a 2-3 hours of time, and it would be going on the car. These days, given all the ins-n-outs of bc/cc finishes, I have to farm it out, so that will add up. It will be very disappointing if this doesn't work out.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:27 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

This sounds somewhat less than encouraging....I wouldn't be quite as concerned, if this was the "old days", and I could simply shoot the fascia with acrylic lacquer, in my garage, like I used to do back in the 80s. $30 worth of paint, and a 2-3 hours of time, and it would be going on the car. These days, given all the ins-n-outs of bc/cc finishes, I have to farm it out, so that will add up. It will be very disappointing if this doesn't work out.
I know this can be a potential disaster, for which I feel it important to get it all out there on the table... Like I've said,. my initial concern has been bolstered, and now corroborated by the visual sag that is present in Max's photos. . Picture this... the fascia can be folded in half. leaving a crease. this is a fact ! Maxe's car shows sag in the reveal, Pete says the crease from shipping will disappear if you put it in the sun or under some heat.in the basement, Pete got that from the manufacture, Pete is not an engineer and only going by information given him. If a little bit of sun or heat in a basement can effect the cell structure and move it back, then Heat effects the flexural modulus to the point where is moves ( sags ) and does not reflect rigid structural integrity. Urethane is used and the flexural modulus used is a science, designed to absorb impact but not sag. At GM we have a 50,000 dollar environmental test chamber.. many components are put through the rigors of the chamber for DOT and CE certifications.. we would have subjected this facia to a minus 40 *F to +160^F test cycle to certify its integrity.. this is part of the FMEA process I always talk about.. Failure Modes Effect Analysis. I also often say the cost of Quality and quality control effect the cost to manufacture.. when you make a quarter million fascia for one generation, corvette, Testing is just a part of the process, Some guy in his garage can not compete with GM, Buying after market products that are cheap enough for the average guy to afford have little quality control or research and development in the design. I think this is an example.
Bill aka ET
Old 12-19-2018, 10:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Reminder - this is a vendor FS thread and as such, the same rules apply as if it were posted by any forum member. Criticism of the quality of the part is considered a violation when posted in an open thread. Plenty of discussion has already taken place in this thread about the sagging area around the vents so other members can read the comments. So, if you have any more comments, please take them to the vendor via PM or e-mail. I will contact the vendor and ensure he is made aware of the concerns expressed here and he can then address them if he feels the need.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:56 AM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Jack and Pete,

Even with what has been discussed about this bumper, and the crappy issue I had with my former paint and body man, I still will have this bumper on my car as soon as I can.
If purchasing the ACI rear fascia reinforcement pieces for an additional $80 that has also been necessary on many OEM bumpers will resolve any potential sagging issues, I'm all in!!!
Also having an actual retired C5 GM designing team engineer's approval for the way the design flows with the car (E.T,), Ice's the cake for me.

Last edited by lewislgZ06; 12-20-2018 at 07:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To FS: Urethane Duckbill Rear Bumpers

Old 12-20-2018, 07:11 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Guys! Looking at it, I don’t think it’s sagging. I think it’s where it gets folded it’s mis shaped or bent. These bumpers although they folded are not “thin” they are actually pretty thick and slightly heavier than the oem one. I think that’s the issue, and I’m working with manufacturing to come up with a resolution.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:51 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Here are a couple of pictures...one is of the "braces" that I was referring to, and one is showing them set in place.

When I glue them in place, they'll draw up the "ripple" along the bottom edge.
The following 2 users liked this post by leadfoot4:
lewislgZ06 (12-31-2018), Maxx_Z06 (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 02:09 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

C5 COTM Coordinator

Here are a couple of pictures...one is of the "braces" that I was referring to, and one is showing them set in place.

When I glue them in place, they'll draw up the "ripple" along the bottom edge.
Thanks for the information , I have a set scheduled to be delivered this week. Should have them installed this weekend.

Quick Reply: FS: Urethane Duckbill Rear Bumpers