Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New FRC Owner (Dyno Results Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 01:26 PM
FR-CYA
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 81 Posts
Default New FRC Owner (Dyno Results Inside)

I posted in the new member forum earlier. Thought I'd get some great feedback in here.
Picked up a '99 FRC with 78K miles over the weekend. Went through a tank full of gas with a smile on my face the entire time. Major modes include: SLP Cold Air Intake, Lunati Cam, Texas Speed Headers, Catless mid pipe, BBE Bullets and a Dyno Tune (see below for results). Other than a few interior bits needing replacement, it's in great shape. The paint is not original, thinking of returning it back to its factory black one day. But for now, I'm enjoying the blue.

This car is loud. I'd like to replace the axle back with something a bit more tame than the Billy Boat Bullets. I know exhaust sounds are subjective, but feel free to respond with any suggestions.

I'm excited to be a part of this community!

Last edited by FR-CYA; 07-09-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added Pics
Old 07-09-2018, 01:36 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Nice result, and good looking car! If they paint is in good condition, I'd let it be...
Old 07-09-2018, 02:24 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Great looking car. I like the Nassau blue - I'm leaving it if it were mine. Nice flat torque/HP curve on the dyno sheet. I have the Z06 ti axle back exhaust that is much quieter than the BBBs but wake up when you press the go pedal. Cheers!
Old 07-09-2018, 02:48 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Interesting - I've got an '00 FRC with pretty much the same mods but no cam and I peaked at 350 - now I can look forward to what the cam will get me - welcome aboard!
Old 07-09-2018, 02:57 PM
FR-CYA
Racer

Originally Posted by jjc508520
Interesting - I've got an '00 FRC with pretty much the same mods but no cam and I peaked at 350 - now I can look forward to what the cam will get me - welcome aboard!
Not sure if the cam is the leading factor, but this thing pulls hard and smooth throughout the entire rev range. It delivers power in a deliberate and predictable manner. It sounds great too. I need to post up some videos so you can here it.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:52 PM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts

Nice car, congratulations on the purchase glad you are enjoying it. As for exhaust you may want to consider TI exhaust off a Z06. Will quiet it down but still have a nice exhaust note. Best of. all they can be had relatively cheap. Check the for sale section.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:43 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

As I said in your Intros thread, if the paint is in good shape, I’d keep it that way. But it’s your choice.

if you want a quieter exhaust, the Z06 TI or B&B Route 66 would be a good choice.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 07-09-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:35 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If you are close to me I would consider swapping my titanium Z06 exhaust for your BB's.
WV 25401
Old 07-09-2018, 09:57 PM
Newell0921
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting. My 99 with the same mods as yours (different brand product though) dynod at 377.48 whp. I don't think you could get any closer than that.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:10 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Welcome. I'm digging the blue! Other than switching out the exhaust for something quieter any other plans?
Old 07-10-2018, 09:20 AM
FR-CYA
Racer

Originally Posted by Not4spd
Welcome. I'm digging the blue! Other than switching out the exhaust for something quieter any other plans?
Thanks Not4spd. I like the blue too. It's certainly not what I would call a show quality paint job, but it does look good enough to turn some heads.

As for plans, I'd like to start rehabbing the interior a bit with a new center console/radio bezel, rear view mirror, door panel, shift boot and sun visors. It's not in terrible shape, but I'd like to bring it up a few notches. I also need to go over all of the wear parts in the suspension and replace as needed. As far as performance, I'm probably going to enjoy the car as it is for now. Maybe a short throw shifter at some point.

But I'm certainly open to suggestions on how to spend my money!
Old 07-10-2018, 09:26 AM
Newell0921
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FR-CYA
Thanks Not4spd. I like the blue too. It's certainly not what I would call a show quality paint job, but it does look good enough to turn some heads.

As for plans, I'd like to start rehabbing the interior a bit with a new center console/radio bezel, rear view mirror, door panel, shift boot and sun visors. It's not in terrible shape, but I'd like to bring it up a few notches. I also need to go over all of the wear parts in the suspension and replace as needed. As far as performance, I'm probably going to enjoy the car as it is for now. Maybe a short throw shifter at some point.

But I'm certainly open to suggestions on how to spend my money!
Man, me and you are on the exact same schedule with our cars. It's kind of crazy. I have the same current mods as you and I just went through a period of bringing up the interior. I replaced my sun visors, rear view mirror, foot rest pedal, and just ordered new seat skins and cushions to replace those out.

If you havent already check out vettenuts for those parts. That's where I got most on that list.

I also upgraded to a short throw shifter a week or so ago. Everything I read on the forum had most people posting praise for the MGW. I ended up going with the Hinson though because it seems easier to install. I like it so far. Have only driven the car twice since installing though.

I like the color of your exterior as well as it is, and this is coming from a guy that has a black C5.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:27 AM
FR-CYA
Racer

Originally Posted by C5inWV
If you are close to me I would consider swapping my titanium Z06 exhaust for your BB's.
WV 25401
Thanks for the offer C5inWV. I'm only about 3hrs away from you. Let me think about it. I'm concerned that I might not like the result. I need to hear what it a similar setup sounds like in person before committing to a 6 hour round trip plus wrench time. Do you have a suitable place to work on cars?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:32 AM
boostedfury
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

Great power jealous of your tq!

how far are you from 19064 PA? I swear I saw it locally for sale!

I have an SLP powerflo catback with Quad Magnaflow tips as a possibility?!

pm me!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:29 AM
almosttherec5
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the group, i to have a 00 FRC, full HCI bolton. you have great numbers esp tq
Old 07-11-2018, 08:33 AM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

I have almost the same mods on my FRC. Vararam, LS6 intake and heads, new valve springs, lifters, Comp Cam, SLP headers, mid pipe and a Z06 TI mufflers. I do have a Texas Speed shortblock. I got 430 hp after the tune with a torque curve just as flat at yours. I wonder if the LS6 intake and heads could make that much difference.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:41 AM
FR-CYA
Racer

Originally Posted by boostedfury
Great power jealous of your tq!

how far are you from 19064 PA? I swear I saw it locally for sale!

I have an SLP powerflo catback with Quad Magnaflow tips as a possibility?!

pm me!
Yes, I picked it up locally last week. PM'd on the exhaust.

The torque curve on this setup is real nice. It pulls very linearly and predictably throughout the entire rev range. It's what sold me on the car. I overlooked the minor imperfections in the paint and interior once I started rolling on the throttle during the test drive. Smiles for miles.

Get notified of new replies

To New FRC Owner (Dyno Results Inside)

Old 07-11-2018, 08:46 AM
FR-CYA
Racer

Originally Posted by almosttherec5
welcome to the group, i to have a 00 FRC, full HCI bolton. you have great numbers esp tq
Thanks!

That torque curve sold me on the car. It translates into the driving experience quite nicely once you start rolling on the throttle. This thing handles like a beast too. I think it's still riding on the stock suspension and after 78K miles it still feels solid.

FRC's are by far my favorite C5 body style. I think it really accentuates the rear "hips." Pics don't do these cars justice. When you walk up next to them and see how low and wide they are, you really get a sense for how nice the design is.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:50 AM
FR-CYA
Racer

Originally Posted by maj75
I have almost the same mods on my FRC. Vararam, LS6 intake and heads, new valve springs, lifters, Comp Cam, SLP headers, mid pipe and a Z06 TI mufflers. I do have a Texas Speed shortblock. I got 430 hp after the tune with a torque curve just as flat at yours. I wonder if the LS6 intake and heads could make that much difference.
So I'm new to the LS platform, but from what I understand, the LS6 heads and intake really open things up for that block. Some of it happens to do with the size and shape of the ports on the head. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I also don't know how conservative the tune is on my car, but I love how that flat torque curve translates to the driving experience. 430hp is an awesome number BTW!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:53 AM
FR-CYA
Racer

Originally Posted by Newell0921
Man, me and you are on the exact same schedule with our cars. It's kind of crazy. I have the same current mods as you and I just went through a period of bringing up the interior. I replaced my sun visors, rear view mirror, foot rest pedal, and just ordered new seat skins and cushions to replace those out.

If you havent already check out vettenuts for those parts. That's where I got most on that list.

I also upgraded to a short throw shifter a week or so ago. Everything I read on the forum had most people posting praise for the MGW. I ended up going with the Hinson though because it seems easier to install. I like it so far. Have only driven the car twice since installing though.

I like the color of your exterior as well as it is, and this is coming from a guy that has a black C5.
Thanks for the kind words. I like the color, just wish the paint job is bit higher quality. But like I answered a few others, the mods and tune is what sold me on the car. I could overlook the paint once I started rolling on the throttle. As you know, it's a beast!

I'm starting to go over the car now and make a list of the winter upgrades. Most likely interior and brakes.

Quick Reply: New FRC Owner (Dyno Results Inside)