Sponsored by:

XSPower headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:05 PM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinny 2001
I have them. Catted 1 7/8" primaries, with 3" pipes all the way back. Can't really say a bad thing about them. With the CAM and Tune I am at 404 RWHP. sound is really good and aggressive and install wasn't bad (I paid a shop to install them).

I would note that i had an exhaust leak with the copper gasket and used the stock gasket, which is just fine.
just curious what did they charge for the header install? I'm in Wabash In.? Ty
Old 07-18-2018, 11:16 PM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

I have them. Catted 1 7/8" primaries, with 3" pipes all the way back. Can't really say a bad thing about them. With the CAM and Tune I am at 404 RWHP. sound is really good and aggressive and install wasn't bad (I paid a shop to install them).

I would note that i had an exhaust leak with the copper gasket and used the stock gasket, which is just fine.
just curious what did they charge for the header install? I'm in Wabash In.? Ty
Old 07-18-2018, 11:18 PM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

what did they charger for headers to be installed? I'm in Wabash In. 80 miles north of Indy.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:18 AM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 407 Likes on 305 Posts

I had them on my car way back when and never had issues. Are you leaving some power on the table? Sure, but unless you're going all out NA build where every single hp counts its not a huge deal. I think my car is still in the top 10 fast list with bolt-ons, video below.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:58 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Well I'll offer another data point....

I installed a set of the gen3 XS power headers a few months ago. My take is that they are quality materials and good construction (welds, etc). However, the fitment was horrible. I spent hours making them fit. Luckily I was installing them at the same time that I was installing the engine (did a rebuild) so it was just the bare long block (no accessories in the way). Even then I had to disconnect both motor mounts, lift the engine with the hoist, and drop the front cradle a few inches to get the driver's side header in. The passenger side went in a bit easier but one of the primary tubes hits the ac hose. So I pulled the header back our, heated it with a torch, pounded it with a sledge hammer, and even then only gained a fraction of an inch of clearance to the ac line. I ended up wrapping that section of the tube with header wrap and installing extra kevlar heat insulation on the ac line. So far (350 miles) that seems to be holding but I'm still worried it will burn through one day. I also have less than 1/4" of clearance to the steering shaft.

There are also issues with the position of the front O2 sensors. The O2 sensor on the driver's side hits the bell housing. The passenger side has a whisper more clearance but still insanely close. I'll have to drop the headers should I ever need to replace an O2 sensor, which is absurd. Had they clocked the position of the sensor bung just slightly, it wouldn't be a problem.

A friend has the Kooks headers on his 04Z. I compared the clearance around the ac line and steering shaft. Tons of clearance on both. The primary tubes are bent/routed differently and it completely eliminates the clearance problems.

I was in the same boat most guys are. I just spent a ton of money on my engine build and couldn't swing $2k for Kooks/ARH. I read all of the threads about XS Power headers, and how the gen 3 version was supposed to fix all of the problems. I also liked the ball/socket flanges to connect to the X pipe. And I liked the mating 3" catted x-pipe section (there are benefits to having the xpipe crossover closer to the headers). So I bought the complete system. So while I feel confident with the quality of the materials, there's absolutely no way I'd go through the hassle of making them fit again. It's frustrating because they are so close to having a great product at a fair price.

It seems to me that they don't have good control of their manufacturing processes, which is why some people have zero issues, and some have tons of fitment problems.

Don't make your decision strictly on my experience, but definitely consider it as a data point. It's not always roses and sunshine.

I documented some of the fitment issues as part of my engine build series.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Scruff, I'm an avid fan of your YouTube channel and I would recommend everyone on here subscribe to it. I remember in a previous post you commenting about these issues. It's hard to believe the inconsistency between yours and the other folks. I know you know your stuff, but are you sure you got the XSPower headers and someone didn't do a bait and switch on you? Did you consult with the vendor at all about your issues and did they help out in any way? I value your opinion on these matters given your background and expertise with these cars.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Acid666
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmackloud
Well I'll offer another data point....

I installed a set of the gen3 XS power headers a few months ago. My take is that they are quality materials and good construction (welds, etc). However, the fitment was horrible. I spent hours making them fit. Luckily I was installing them at the same time that I was installing the engine (did a rebuild) so it was just the bare long block (no accessories in the way). Even then I had to disconnect both motor mounts, lift the engine with the hoist, and drop the front cradle a few inches to get the driver's side header in. The passenger side went in a bit easier but one of the primary tubes hits the ac hose. So I pulled the header back our, heated it with a torch, pounded it with a sledge hammer, and even then only gained a fraction of an inch of clearance to the ac line. I ended up wrapping that section of the tube with header wrap and installing extra kevlar heat insulation on the ac line. So far (350 miles) that seems to be holding but I'm still worried it will burn through one day. I also have less than 1/4" of clearance to the steering shaft.

There are also issues with the position of the front O2 sensors. The O2 sensor on the driver's side hits the bell housing. The passenger side has a whisper more clearance but still insanely close. I'll have to drop the headers should I ever need to replace an O2 sensor, which is absurd. Had they clocked the position of the sensor bung just slightly, it wouldn't be a problem.

A friend has the Kooks headers on his 04Z. I compared the clearance around the ac line and steering shaft. Tons of clearance on both. The primary tubes are bent/routed differently and it completely eliminates the clearance problems.

I was in the same boat most guys are. I just spent a ton of money on my engine build and couldn't swing $2k for Kooks/ARH. I read all of the threads about XS Power headers, and how the gen 3 version was supposed to fix all of the problems. I also liked the ball/socket flanges to connect to the X pipe. And I liked the mating 3" catted x-pipe section (there are benefits to having the xpipe crossover closer to the headers). So I bought the complete system. So while I feel confident with the quality of the materials, there's absolutely no way I'd go through the hassle of making them fit again. It's frustrating because they are so close to having a great product at a fair price.

It seems to me that they don't have good control of their manufacturing processes, which is why some people have zero issues, and some have tons of fitment problems.

Don't make your decision strictly on my experience, but definitely consider it as a data point. It's not always roses and sunshine.

I documented some of the fitment issues as part of my engine build series.
https://youtu.be/MXTw7csgsWc

Sucks that you had so many fitment issues. Part of the reason I went with the XS headers was because I couldn't find many people with problems on the forums. I think this is a case where you just got a set that was poorly QC'd. I just went check mine to see where things land and my passenger side has some clearance from the ac line, but the other side is touching the steering shaft.
I've known about the steering shaft, I just haven't gotten around to fixing it. I'm going to need to remove the header to be able to bang it in, because there's no way I can get leverage on it to put a dent in that pipe while it's in the car.

After this weekend I'm going to park the car and remove everything and fix this one last issue, and retape up a few things after watching your video. I put thermal tape on my starter but the heat from the headers just burned it all off. So I'm going to find a way to make that stick. As for the O2 sensors, mine were close to the bellhousing but I kinda wiggled things around to make it not touch and I got it in a good spot.
Here's some pics of my touching points just for reference.
Name:  nFhrUNb.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  1.07 MB
Name:  7rjUHDI.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  1,008.0 KB

Last edited by Acid666; 07-19-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:30 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Robrote
Scruff, I'm an avid fan of your YouTube channel and I would recommend everyone on here subscribe to it. I remember in a previous post you commenting about these issues. It's hard to believe the inconsistency between yours and the other folks. I know you know your stuff, but are you sure you got the XSPower headers and someone didn't do a bait and switch on you? Did you consult with the vendor at all about your issues and did they help out in any way? I value your opinion on these matters given your background and expertise with these cars.

Thanks for watching the videos! I hope you've found them helpful.

I purchased my headers through Huron Speed. I did email them and discuss my fitment problems. Aside from suggesting shorter motor mounts, they were not able to offer any help. I submitted pictures and they said they would talk to the manufacturer, but they never followed up. the shorter motor mounts would not have fixed my ac line clearance issues, so I did not pursue that route (i need left/right clearance, not up/down). I had also asked for any specific details that could confirm the headers I received were the Gen3 version, but they did not provide any information on that. but I believe the gen3 version came out quite some time ago, so it's unlikely I got an older version. the boxes I received had been opened before and retaped but the plastic bags containing the headers were unopened. nothing was damaged or missing. The parts appeared to have drop shipped from SS Auto Chrome.

They mentioned they might be able to send another set of headers but by that point I had the headers already in the car. I would have had to lift the motor and drop the cradle again to get them out. And they couldn't provide any assurance that the next set would fit any better.

I really think it's an issue of quality control. Obviously they have worked really well for some people, which is why I decided to try them. Unfortunately, it didn't go so smoothly for me.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:22 AM
Acid666
Racer

Got my header off tonight and beat it up.
Glad I did it. I've got a whole race weekend coming up and the travel time there and back on top of 2 days of thrashing the car around just makes me weary that it's going to eat thru and weaken the steering shaft.

Name:  y5bwNDU.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  1.13 MB
Old 07-20-2018, 10:52 AM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Acid666
Got my header off tonight and beat it up.
Glad I did it. I've got a whole race weekend coming up and the travel time there and back on top of 2 days of thrashing the car around just makes me weary that it's going to eat thru and weaken the steering shaft.

I'm guessing you are wishing you had beat on it prior to coating them? My plan is to test fit, beat is needed, then send out out.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Acid666
Racer

Originally Posted by Robrote
I'm guessing you are wishing you had beat on it prior to coating them? My plan is to test fit, beat is needed, then send out out.

When I had installed it, it was tangent with the shaft but not really rubbing. And the play in the motor mounts would of been only up and down and it would maybe touch, but shouldn't of really stayed on it. So I thought I'd hold out and see how it worked out. It ended up always rubbing. I wasn't sure if the shaft was hollow or not, so I'm weary that more time on the road may eventually cause it to wear through (if it actually is hollow) and weaken it.
Removal wasn't too bad. About 4 hours of actual work last night. As far as beating on them after coated, I really don't care. Once you try to jam these things in and things don't go as planned, you stop really caring about the overall look of them. They're scraped in a few places, but overall the coating is still doing their job. FYI the coating is PHENOMENAL with keeping heat out of the engine bay. Well worth it.

Last edited by Acid666; 07-20-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:21 AM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Seems like over the years that these have gotten better and better, AND for the most part the very first ones there may have been some massaging that was needed but I would do it! Just be sure you post the ear candy when you’re done🤙🏽🍻

Quick Reply: XSPower headers