Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Wide body woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:04 PM
LLINV
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wide body woes

so about a month ago I bought a set of unused corvette creations rear fenders for my Z from another forum member
They arrived and I brought them to the body shop still packaged. The body shop owner called me and said there was no way I would be happy with them. Sent me pics and I was pretty shocked. The corner damage I imagine could have happened in shipping, but the body shop owner said the mold was so poorly done with soo much resin that it was literally flaking in her hand and that it wouldn't take a negligent shipper to have damaged them due to them being so brittle. I have a bigger issue with the terrible shaping around the reflector and the waviness of the mold itself. Both sides have same issues
Old 07-22-2018, 08:07 PM
LLINV
Advanced

Old 07-22-2018, 09:14 PM
NC_2_VA
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Unbelievable.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:19 AM
calivette805
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LLINV

so about a month ago I bought a set of unused corvette creations rear fenders for my Z from another forum member
They arrived and I brought them to the body shop still packaged. The body shop owner called me and said there was no way I would be happy with them. Sent me pics and I was pretty shocked. The corner damage I imagine could have happened in shipping, but the body shop owner said the mold was so poorly done with soo much resin that it was literally flaking in her hand and that it wouldn't take a negligent shipper to have damaged them due to them being so brittle. I have a bigger issue with the terrible shaping around the reflector and the waviness of the mold itself. Both sides have same issues
I’ve had the rears in carbon once and glass twice . None of my fenders came with holes in that brake light. And none were wavy in that section .
Old 07-23-2018, 07:41 AM
BuzC5
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, you found out why the person was selling them

That sucks
Old 07-23-2018, 08:49 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You had no idea they looked like that beforehand? Someone shouldnt a sold them to you...
Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

You could work them real quick and do a bit of fiberglass reinforcement behind...quick job from a capable guy. I could whip those into shape quickly and I'm not what you'd call a "pro" body guy but I've done plenty of it. I'd just find a guy who does work on the side and has some references. Search local import (240/drift/import scene) facebook groups for your area and ask for someone who does pro work on the side...guarantee you'll find someone pumped to work on a vette and it'll be cheaper. You in NV?
Old 07-23-2018, 09:45 AM
dleibman
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts

I would get in touch with the seller and find out what is going on. want a refund, would not pay to have damaged goods fixed. is not what you paid for. JMO
Old 07-23-2018, 10:19 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dleibman
I would get in touch with the seller and find out what is going on. want a refund, would not pay to have damaged goods fixed. is not what you paid for. JMO
Yes Thats not what you paid for. Seller should either give a refund or a reduced price.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:23 PM
LLINV
Advanced

I did reach out to the seller. The catch 22 is he never opened/unpackaged them after getting them from Corvette Creationz. The product is such garbage it's not unrealistic that they were damaged in shipping (the corners) due to them being ridiculously brittle. Still doesn't explain that corvette Creationz should never have let a product with defects like this get shipped with parts of it that literally look like the mold was melting.

i contacted Pete from CC. He was a nice enough guy that pretty much said "I just sold a set last week and they are already on a customers car and they love them." Then said he would sell me a carbon fiber set. How helpful.... I was beyond shocked that he wasn't embarrassed that he sold a product with those kinds of imperfections...and they weren't even fitted on a car so who knows how outta whack they are in overall dimensions. Pretty upset as I was beyond kind and understanding, but telling someone sorry my margins are slim deal and expecting them to deal with quality like that is ridiculous. This is the response I got after prefacing it with "hey I understand stuff happens, is there a way we can work a deal another set."
Old 07-23-2018, 02:33 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

I did reach out to the seller. The catch 22 is he never opened/unpackaged them after getting them from Corvette Creationz. The product is such garbage it's not unrealistic that they were damaged in shipping (the corners) due to them being ridiculously brittle. Still doesn't explain that corvette Creationz should never have let a product with defects like this get shipped with parts of it that literally look like the mold was melting.

i contacted Pete from CC. He was a nice enough guy that pretty much said "I just sold a set last week and they are already on a customers car and they love them." Then said he would sell me a carbon fiber set. How helpful.... I was beyond shocked that he wasn't embarrassed that he sold a product with those kinds of imperfections...and they weren't even fitted on a car so who knows how outta whack they are in overall dimensions. Pretty upset as I was beyond kind and understanding, but telling someone sorry my margins are slim deal and expecting them to deal with quality like that is ridiculous. This is the response I got after prefacing it with "hey I understand stuff happens, is there a way we can work a deal another set."
All very interesting, but you did not buy them from CC, so no kind of contract, written, implied or whatever links them to you. It's up to the seller to make you whole. If he refuses - small claims court is your friend. And make sure you report him here so we all know.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:54 PM
LLINV
Advanced

You are correct. I did not buy from Corvette Creationz. The shipping back and forth on these is insane and the problem I have is the complete lack of quality. If I was the company owner I wouldn't want a set like that to be made and shipped let alone the pics of it on the Internet.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:50 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

From looking at what you've posted what looks like may have happened was severe issues in the lay up. In your second post in particular that huge rectangular gap points to a pocket in the lay up process from the resin and the fiberglass and the wavy-ness around the side marker was largely lay up issues which how a pocket didn't form there is probably by pure luck. Basically when the resin and the fiberglass were being laid into the mold there was not enough care taken to ensure even coverage with the two.

In fairness IT CAN be difficult to get resin and fiberglass evenly laid into extreme corners and contours of molds and it's by no means uncommon to have to deal with small hole pockets and such, but these do display a case of lack of quality control. However they can still be worked with they would just need a really good deal of work like a member mentioned above.

The reason why you were offered CF and why many often consider it as a replacement is because CF doesn't suffer from the same lay up issues that fiberglass has against resin. Tooling for CF parts is typically very hardcore (as it has to be) which produces much better products. Fiberglass on the other hand can get by with lower quality tooling since it's laid resin and fiberglass, but at the expense of either subsequent product quality and/or amount of pulls before there are issues with the molds and transfers. Most manufacturers don't use the same degree of tooling for fiberglass that they do CF; doesn't make sense to from a cost stand point unless you want to pay +$1,500-$2,000 for fiberglass quarters.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:14 PM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I don’t have as many issues as you, but the fenders are very poorly made. I also a have hollow air pocket pocket in mine i ended up just chipping out and going to refill with resin.
I also have some paper thin areas where it goes down to the side skirt, the glass just runs out to nothing, no solid edge. Again I plan to fix them.

Pretty sure his guys just a middle man slinging fenders between the manufacturer and the buyers, so it’s not like he’s in the shop making sure the peple do a good job making the ****.
Also prerty sure duraflex makes these. Which are also well known to be junk.

But hey, when you only have 2 or 3 people making these things there not much we can do.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:00 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by hatewhatownsyou
I don’t have as many issues as you, but the fenders are very poorly made. I also a have hollow air pocket pocket in mine i ended up just chipping out and going to refill with resin.
I also have some paper thin areas where it goes down to the side skirt, the glass just runs out to nothing, no solid edge. Again I plan to fix them.

Pretty sure his guys just a middle man slinging fenders between the manufacturer and the buyers, so it’s not like he’s in the shop making sure the peple do a good job making the ****.
Also prerty sure duraflex makes these. Which are also well known to be junk.

But hey, when you only have 2 or 3 people making these things there not much we can do.
I really am starting to wonder if these fenders are made in China?.......I get it that fiberglass is harder to work with but the rear reflector pocket is very telling. There is no way that "happened" during shipping, lol. I guess the reality is that if you expect good quality fiberglass fenders, expect to pay $1500-$2000 for the pair.....which does not exist from what I see. But now you get to pay under $1000.00 and pay a body shop an additional $1000-$1500 to fix, modify and make fit the low quality fenders. If staying fiberglass, it seems better to just use your stock fenders and have a "pro" modify them to your liking.

I guess it is either carbon or nothing......there is no such thing as cheap fiberglass.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:56 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

I contacted Pete from CC. He was a nice enough guy that pretty much said "I just sold a set last week and they are already on a customers car and they love them." Then said he would sell me a carbon fiber set. How helpful.... I was beyond shocked that he wasn't embarrassed that he sold a product with those kinds of defect.
Whoa...let’s back the horse up! If I recall the conversation, you messaged me on FB asking for a deal on a carbon set. I did not offer to sell you anything. Secondly these are drop shipped so I never see them. If the original customer had opened them (like I strictly tell people to do) we could have sent a nicer set to him.

Anyway, I’m not going to go back and forth on this thread. If you would have bought them from me directly, you would have saved yourself this headache. I’m not saying everything we ship is perfect, but when it’s bad I try to help as much as I can. Feel free to pm if you want to continue the conversation.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:45 PM
LARYZ
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad glass

I have been an auto painter for 32 years and every time someone brings in fiberglass parts they are so shocked to hear, to be useable the parts will need many hours of finishing. You are basically getting molded fiberglass needing to be finished. using a well known maker and reading reviews are highly recommended. Cheaper is usually cheap parts.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

OK, the buyer has stated his case and the recent seller (not the vendor) has stated he did not open the package to inspect the fenders when he received them. The vendor from which the fenders were originally bought has responded and further stated if more conversation is needed, PM him. I am closing this thread and moving it to Transactions Feedback, and if any further posts by either the buyer or the original seller are needed, you can contact a moderator in that section.

Get notified of new replies

To Wide body woes

Quick Reply: Wide body woes