Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you roll with no front plate in a state that requires it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

8 yrs now with no plate, always checking my rear view mirror when the law passes by or running radar, don't want to ruin the clean lines.

Last edited by 6speedsteve; 07-24-2018 at 12:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (07-26-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 PM
NC_2_VA
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daily driver in VA, no front plate. I do keep it on the back deck, just in case I need to throw it up on the dashboard.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:29 PM
BuzC5
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NC_2_VA
Daily driver in VA, no front plate. I do keep it on the back deck, just in case I need to throw it up on the dashboard.
Tbh this is the best way, I forgot to mention I kept a new pack of screws and plate in the glovebox at all times and planned on just saying I had just got screws and on my way to put it on if I got stopped for it. Lol
Old 07-23-2018, 09:34 PM
BlackC5 Z06
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I put mine on just a little bit ago and I hate the look. Figured that would be the case. I'll either just put the cover back on and wait to be pulled over and eat the ticket or keep it legal. Haven't decided yet. So many city and county cops here I'm sure I'll get hassled but it seems like many of you have never been hassled for it.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:11 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
Have not run a front plate on any fair-weather cars since 2006 in Ohio. Pass LEOs everyday and never been stopped or even casually inquired about when an officer just comes over to look at the cars. The LEOs get it and don't want to hassle you any more than you want to be hassled. I have an LEO friend who is a car junkie and he says they have more critical things to do with their time, although if you're ticketed for another infraction it could get tacked on at the officer's discretion. It's interesting that all five states surrounding Ohio do not require a front plate.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:55 PM
Mitch45
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Do not have to run front plate in Indiana , but if we did I would do something like this .
Old 07-23-2018, 11:25 PM
Lingenfelter
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzC5
Tbh this is the best way, I forgot to mention I kept a new pack of screws and plate in the glovebox at all times and planned on just saying I had just got screws and on my way to put it on if I got stopped for it. Lol
That's kind of being a smart *** and they love giving tix to people who think the cops are stupid...and no point getting shot reaching for the glove box - over not having a front plate. On the bright side, police for the most part do like corvette's. A lot more than they like mustangs anyway...
SG Lou (08-10-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 11:54 PM
Anthony F
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

NJ here, i don't run a plate and haven't been pulled over yet in 5 years. Watch tomorrow i get pulled over, even if i ever do i'll just pay the fine and move on, never putting one on. Even the inspection stations don't care if you don't have one!
Old 07-24-2018, 12:01 AM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch45
Do not have to run front plate in Indiana , but if we did I would do something like this .
If there is one thing ole "calguy" is noted for is his outspoken honesty.
Some don't like it, but I make no appologies.
I find myself being honest once again.
I think a standard license plate would look much better than what you have done to the cover.

Bob.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:19 AM
glfrmrk
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackC5 Z06
Just got my C5 Z06 and I really hate to put the front plate on it because it looks so much better with the cover on it. But I live in IL where front plate is required and I see cops all the time. I feel like it's just a matter of time before I get hassled and pulled over so I might just go ahead and put it on. So do any of you get hassled much that live in a state that requires one?
Of the 15 Chevys I have owned over the last 46 years, only 3 or 4 had front plates and they were probably a "USA-1" or a "CORVETTE" plate on the front. No ticket yet (in California).
Old 07-24-2018, 12:25 AM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by glfrmrk

Of the 15 Chevys I have owned over the last 46 years, only 3 or 4 had front plates and they were probably a "USA-1" or a "CORVETTE" plate on the front. No ticket yet (in California).

Hope you have no plans of motoring south to Los Angeles, and especially Beverly Hills.
The hills recently started pulling over one plate cars registered here in Ca, and fines are on the order of $1000.00
That is no typo.
Guess they feel the folks in Beverly Hills can afford it..

Bob.

Last edited by calguy; 07-24-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:38 AM
asicuranza
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Cali and have installed
this clear plate cover this clear plate cover
. I think it looks good. Obviously, the best-case scenario would be to not have a plate on the front; however, I don't want to give police a reason to pull me over.

Mike7680 (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 12:50 AM
El Paso Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I have never run front plates except that I Velcro it on to my Speed Lingerie when I travel east through my Great State of Texas. Around El Paso, never. Going west, never.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:59 AM
jasper1978
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the Netherlands where it required to have front plates, but I did not like the look of it, so I mounted the plate on the middle airdam. By law it is required to have the plate located to be able to read it from a distance of 20 meters, which with a bit of luck , is just the case.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:20 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

I don't want to be pulled over for a stupid law so I run with the plate on. The C5 is such a beautiful vehicle it really doesn't change anything to me so why worry about it?
My experience is I would get a ticket and not a warning.
SG Lou (08-10-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 06:33 AM
ismithlj
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Maryland. Certain State Police cars have cameras that automatically read your plates and give information instantly to the officer about warrants, driving offenses etc. If you don’t have a plate it instantly alerts the officer and you get pulled over for a $70 ticket, after getting one of those I put my plate back on.
laurent_zo6 (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 07:08 AM
Arvalo
Pro

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

I live in VA, which requires front plates, fortunately I’m military so I keep my cars registered in my home of record state (GA) which does not require front plates. (Which I do for expressly that reason)

Get notified of new replies

To How many of you roll with no front plate in a state that requires it?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:02 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

In 1998 I became friendly with a C5 owning state trooper. He told me I should remove my front plate because it looks better that way. He said it is an unwritten rule that troopers don't stop Vettes for no front plate. Haven't run a front plate since. I don't run one on my daily driver either. At inspection the woman running the facility told me that they don't care if Vettes have no front plate, they just ignore it. Apparently I guess no one here knows you can put on the front plate and the "Corvette" cover will reinstall right over it. That's how I run mine, it's always on should I need it. Just pull off the cover!
The following 2 users liked this post by striper:
Carvin (07-25-2018), pjdbm (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 08:04 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
Have not run a front plate on any fair-weather cars since 2006 in Ohio. Pass LEOs everyday and never been stopped or even casually inquired about when an officer just comes over to look at the cars. The LEOs get it and don't want to hassle you any more than you want to be hassled. I have an LEO friend who is a car junkie and he says they have more critical things to do with their time, although if you're ticketed for another infraction it could get tacked on at the officer's discretion. It's interesting that all five states surrounding Ohio do not require a front plate.
I live in Dayton and I plan on running mine with no front plate...
Old 07-24-2018, 09:04 AM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
In 1998 I became friendly with a C5 owning state trooper. He told me I should remove my front plate because it looks better that way. He said it is an unwritten rule that troopers don't stop Vettes for no front plate. Haven't run a front plate since. I don't run one on my daily driver either. At inspection the woman running the facility told me that they don't care if Vettes have no front plate, they just ignore it. Apparently I guess no one here knows you can put on the front plate and the "Corvette" cover will reinstall right over it. That's how I run mine, it's always on should I need it. Just pull off the cover!
Thats not a bad idea! I have the thing that pulls out under the bumper, when it is folded down, I just dont like that look.
I may try your way as it is very easy to pull that over off

Last edited by pjdbm; 07-24-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: How many of you roll with no front plate in a state that requires it?