Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you roll with no front plate in a state that requires it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Mrg60
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I roll with it on, not looking for another reason to get pulled over.
The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:37 AM
rwlc5
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

After having been stopped and getting off with a warning ticket, I decided that it would not be worth the $75 ticket just to look better. Once you put the available frame around the tag to fillin the opening, it doesn't look too bad.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:38 PM
dood73
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

When I first got my car, I had the blank infill piece on the front, and the temporary tag in the back. An oncoming cop passed me, then did a quick U-turn. He got close, and then did another U-turn. I wasn't speeding or anything, so my guess is he was ready to give me a ticket for no front plate.

Either that, or he really liked the color...
Old 07-31-2018, 11:15 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Mrg60
I roll with it on, not looking for another reason to get pulled over.
Damn....that is one beautiful looking Corvette....:
Here...take another look.....

Mrg60 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 12:24 AM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Thanks for your service. I love my country but, “made in America”? Don’t ever remove door panels, the dash or screws holding anything together for that matter. You might feel betrayed.
Originally Posted by rrwirsi
I do not understand all the ruckus about front license plates in states that require them. So what if the plate may not cosmetically blend into the C5 appearance. It is the friggin law folks. . If your state does not require a license plate, why not put one on showing your patriotism while driving and supporting a made in America sports car. I have to but also

proudly display my tag showing folks my dedication to this wonderfully country in the front and back of my avatar. How about you?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:32 AM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

12 years no tickets.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by rrwirsi

I do not understand all the ruckus about front license plates in states that require them. So what if the plate may not cosmetically blend into the C5 appearance. It is the friggin law folks. . If your state does not require a license plate, why not put one on showing your patriotism while driving and supporting a made in America sports car. I have to but also proudly display my tag showing folks my dedication to this wonderfully country in the front and back of my avatar. How about you?
...doesn't matter how long you have gotten away with breaking the law and not getting caught...a law breaker is a law breaker...this country was built on laws...if you don't like a certain law then try getting it changed...but until you get it changed, have respect for our country of laws and obey them or you are no better than the illegals crossing our borders.... follow the law...
BUILD THE DAMN WALL...
BTW...thanks for your service rrwirsi...
Old 08-03-2018, 01:02 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Kinda don't get the strong "put on your plate because you don't want to break the law" comments. I get putting it on to avoid more likely getting pulled over... but ...
If you roll 41MPH (OK, a bit higher) in a 40MPH zone you're breaking the law. I'm guessing most cruise along at what most police consider acceptable (here anyway), up to 10 over.
I don't stop exactly at stop sign lines, my standard speed is 10-15 over, and starting recently have a dark smoked cover over the front plate. All breaking laws...
Old 08-03-2018, 08:05 AM
C52002Vert
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
Kinda don't get the strong "put on your plate because you don't want to break the law" comments. I get putting it on to avoid more likely getting pulled over... but ...
If you roll 41MPH (OK, a bit higher) in a 40MPH zone you're breaking the law. I'm guessing most cruise along at what most police consider acceptable (here anyway), up to 10 over.
I don't stop exactly at stop sign lines, my standard speed is 10-15 over, and starting recently have a dark smoked cover over the front plate. All breaking laws...
You beat me to it as I was just thinking the same thing as the law is the law period.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:27 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Its ok...btw, no offense was meant...just my opinion on breaking the law, and you are entitled to your opinion on breaking the law... no matter which law....I don't pick and choose which laws I am going to abide by, even if it is a "minor" law...lots of people in this country "kinda get" the laws on illegals, especially criminal illegals crossing our borders...there are all kinds of lawbreakers...although not putting on a license tag where required by law is pretty minor compared to the illegals situation....it is your choice to do the things you do that are against the law but sooner or later it will come back to bite you in the azz as you will most likely findout....do something against the law long enough and you will get busted...I personally do not want to keep looking over my shoulder wondering when I will get caught for some "minor law breaking" incident but also...I kinda respect your opinion...
Old 08-03-2018, 09:36 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by asicuranza
I live in Cali and have installed this clear plate cover. I think it looks good. Obviously, the best-case scenario would be to not have a plate on the front; however, I don't want to give police a reason to pull me over.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is a smoked version available for this type of contoured C5 front plate cover?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:10 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

People pick and choose which traffic laws they obey, and which ones they don't. For example, I hear people bitching all the time about driver's who camp out in the left lane on the highway, but I never hear those people complain about drivers who speed. Why speeding is okay, but left lane camping is not is beyond me...

Old 08-03-2018, 11:04 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grampi50
People pick and choose which traffic laws they obey, and which ones they don't. For example, I hear people bitching all the time about driver's who camp out in the left lane on the highway, but I never hear those people complain about drivers who speed. Why speeding is okay, but left lane camping is not is beyond me...
It's against the law here... slowing down traffic, left lane only to pass...
Mr. Black (08-04-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 11:06 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is a smoked version available for this type of contoured C5 front plate cover?
I bought probably the same one. Bought Nite Moves paint, applied more than I intended, but with some care one could do a better job.

Yello95 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 11:08 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Yello95
Its ok...btw, no offense was meant...just my opinion on breaking the law, and you are entitled to your opinion on breaking the law... no matter which law....I don't pick and choose which laws I am going to abide by, even if it is a "minor" law...lots of people in this country "kinda get" the laws on illegals, especially criminal illegals crossing our borders...there are all kinds of lawbreakers...although not putting on a license tag where required by law is pretty minor compared to the illegals situation....it is your choice to do the things you do that are against the law but sooner or later it will come back to bite you in the azz as you will most likely findout....do something against the law long enough and you will get busted...I personally do not want to keep looking over my shoulder wondering when I will get caught for some "minor law breaking" incident but also...I kinda respect your opinion...
No offense taken at all. I wonder if I'll get pulled over for it, taking my chances for now. RCMP usually have more important things to do.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:08 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

It's against the law here... slowing down traffic, left lane only to pass...
So is speeding, but most people seem to think that's okay...the only reason people get pissed off about left lane campers is because they prevent the speeders from speeding...

Last edited by grampi50; 08-03-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:26 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackC5 Z06
Just got my C5 Z06 and I really hate to put the front plate on it because it looks so much better with the cover on it. But I live in IL where front plate is required and I see cops all the time. I feel like it's just a matter of time before I get hassled and pulled over so I might just go ahead and put it on. So do any of you get hassled much that live in a state that requires one?
IL require front plate. 10yrs driving without. My buddy got a fine so I putl it back on with a clean cover l. Well I got a 75 dollar ticket for having a clear clover in front of the plate. WTF It was a cop in my town that i live. I mean really. I asked if he can give me a warning. He didn't say anything and came back with a fine. Nice. I pay big taxes in my town Glad their doing their job.on petty things.

Get notified of new replies

To How many of you roll with no front plate in a state that requires it?

Old 08-03-2018, 01:41 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by helga203
IL require front plate. 10yrs driving without. My buddy got a fine so I putl it back on with a clean cover l. Well I got a 75 dollar ticket for having a clear clover in front of the plate. WTF It was a cop in my town that i live. I mean really. I asked if he can give me a warning. He didn't say anything and came back with a fine. Nice. I pay big taxes in my town Glad their doing their job.on petty things.
LOL.....so did you learn the lesson of getting away with not following the law and it coming back to bite you in the **** ?

Here is something else you can do...push back...the next time you see your local cop friend on the street, in a grocery store, at the doughnut shop, eating dinner out with his family or friends..., gather a crowd, let him know he isn't wanted in your town or the USA......call Maxine Waters and get her to come out...BUILD THE WALL...
Old 08-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

No offense taken at all. I wonder if I'll get pulled over for it, taking my chances for now. RCMP usually have more important things to do.
nah...you will probably get away with it for another 4 years...
Old 08-03-2018, 03:56 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Yello95
nah...you will probably get away with it for another 4 years...
Car for 4+, cover for 1+, just finally installed it a couple weeks ago.

Quick Reply: How many of you roll with no front plate in a state that requires it?