Sponsored by:

Floor Boards are Soaked

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:54 AM
I8nt4u2c
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floor Boards are Soaked

I have had this problem for some time and have searched the car over again and again to try to find where all this water comes from that puddles up on both sides in the back of the seats on the floor. I have replaced the window and roof gaskets in the past, checked the drain tubes, but just can't figure where the water comes from. The front of the carpets are dry so it is only in the back under the seat. I read a posting that stated the front windshield might be leaking but my thought would be the front of the carpet would be wet. Needless to say, I have pulled the seats out, checked under the carpet for any holes (not that this would be the cause because the car sits most of the time), rechecked the drain tubes, and will check the AC drain tube (don't think this could be the cause because I haven't used the car in a couple weeks.

anyway, any help is appreciated.
Scuba Vet Owner
Old 08-04-2018, 11:29 AM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

So you have checked the 3 udders on the drivers side and one on passengers side ? Then it won't hurt to check the a/c drain. None of those are the problem if all have been looked at. Not sure what to tell you sorry.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:21 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

I believe there are drains for the hatch that are near the back of the seats. I don't have a coupe so I can't look for myself.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:31 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

If you have the seats out, pull the carpet back and start water testing with a garden hose. Take the nozzle off the hose and use a steady stream of water. Start low and work your way up on the car. If it were me, I'd let the water run across the rear of the bumper so it can fill the hatch gutter and let gravity work. If it doesn't leak, then start checking door seals and work your way to the roof and / or the front of the car.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:44 PM
I8nt4u2c
Cruising

Originally Posted by ZigZag
So you have checked the 3 udders on the drivers side and one on passengers side ? Then it won't hurt to check the a/c drain. None of those are the problem if all have been looked at. Not sure what to tell you sorry.
just pulled the wipers and cover off the front window, not sure how those bigger leafs get in there but all the drains were working fine and now the entire compartment is cleaned. I will have to check for the AC plug but car hasn't been used for a couple weeks. Would rain and the AC plug be related? From one thread I read, I will have to jack up the car to look under the passenger side for the AC L shaped plugs.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:45 PM
I8nt4u2c
Cruising

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
I believe there are drains for the hatch that are near the back of the seats. I don't have a coupe so I can't look for myself.
if you are talking about the hatch drains near the back seat, cleaned. thanks for the idea.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:48 PM
I8nt4u2c
Cruising

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
If you have the seats out, pull the carpet back and start water testing with a garden hose. Take the nozzle off the hose and use a steady stream of water. Start low and work your way up on the car. If it were me, I'd let the water run across the rear of the bumper so it can fill the hatch gutter and let gravity work. If it doesn't leak, then start checking door seals and work your way to the roof and / or the front of the car.
thanks and that's the next step in this process. I have had to unplug the drains several times on the hatch but you would think if it is coming in that way the entire carpet behind the seat would be wet - only wet at the bottom where the floor carpet meets.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,301 Likes on 13,974 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I do have a few Word files that talk about water leaks in the C5. If you'd like a copy of them, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them out to you.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:02 PM
I8nt4u2c
Cruising

I believe I found the problem and I will blame myself for not doing this when I installed the new weather stripping: on the back of the driver/passenger window vertical weather strip at the bottom it appears the original stripping was glued in to give it a tight fight. Either I didn't read the fine print, watch enough videos, read enough blogs, or was just stupid, I missed this part and figured it out from the old residue on the door frame. With some glue, clamps, and then silicon all looks tight and will wait for the next rain storm. Vet is dried out, back together, and ready for another owner.

thanks for the advice and hope this post helps out a few others.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:18 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Actually what you refer to as glue is in fact not glue but a soft pliable caulking called Rope or Strip Caulking made by 3M
The FSM calls for removal of excess caulking, cleaning remainder with a solvent like Naphtha and added a new bead of caulking.
I just replace my B Pillar W/S a few weeks ago and used this, as suggested in the FSM and my car sits in the driveway, uncovered.
Not one drop of water has leaked into the car.

Here is my thread on the procedure :

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oday-pics.html

Last edited by SG Lou; 08-12-2018 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
doublenut9 (08-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Floor Boards are Soaked

Quick Reply: Floor Boards are Soaked