Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrongfully judged?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 01:03 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

So what's he drive? A Lincoln maybe? Or a Benz? Prius?
Old 08-13-2018, 01:26 PM
70RT440
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 104 Posts

I've hear 'em all. Don't really worry about it.

Most of my friends are gearheads who know that C5s are a performance bargain, so I never get the comments about having a lot of money. With me its the "Old man/mid life crisis/fanny pack/hawaiian shirt" comments.

Doesn't really bother me at all. I just smile, get in my Vette, and let the wind whip through (what's left of) my hair.

I'm 47 and I paid cash for a 2004 high performance convertible sports car with 50,000 miles. They can struggle and kill themselves for the "status" of an exotic. I'll just cruise on by in my "beater" daily driven Corvette.
The following users liked this post:
Westy R (06-17-2021)
Old 08-13-2018, 01:39 PM
StocktonC7GS
Pro

Received 418 Likes on 178 Posts

Coming out of the grocery store the other day....some kids were hanging out in the parking lot when one of them yelled over at me and said "Hey, your Corvette is gay!" His car looked something like this one (but not as nice....LOL)....perhaps his comment should be redirected....I just smiled and drove away.
Westy R (06-17-2021)
Old 08-13-2018, 01:51 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

All I get is old men asking me "What year is it?"
Old 08-13-2018, 05:45 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

John Q. Public in general can't distinguish between years and generations. Almost everyone who has ever asked me what year my Z is, say "No kidding, that looks way newer than that". So their perception is you are driving a $50k car around. They are equally as shocked when you tell them the value. That's part of it along with some people are just jealous and some are just total douches.
The following 2 users liked this post by 02BlownZ06:
ArmchairArchitect (08-15-2018), Westy R (06-17-2021)
Old 08-13-2018, 05:59 PM
scorpiofox69
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 146 Posts

So I haven't seen this one yet...…

A chick says, "what do you drive?"

"I have a 2004 CE vert"

"Oh, you're THAT guy."

Translated as egomaniac, full of himself and physically deficient.

All none further from the truth. I grew up around Corvettes. My dad owned them before I was born (he has 2 as of this moment). The first accident I was in was when I was merely 3 yrs of age. My mother had me standing in the front seat of my dad's 67 Marlboro Maroon vert, and turned left in front of a station wagon (mom didn't turn fast enough). I have had 3 myself. I used to "steal" dad's 69 vert when he went out of town when I was a teenager (he knew but couldn't figure out why no miles were accumulated-I confessed later to my misdeeds and using the tach to shift as I disconnected the speedo when I took it.).

Alas, for any "haters"......whatever. It is my $, my passion, and I shall do as I please without regard to your opinion or what you choose to drive.

If you don't like it, don't look at it.

Corvettes rule!
Westy R (06-17-2021)
Old 08-13-2018, 08:53 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpiofox69
So I haven't seen this one yet...…

A chick says, "what do you drive?"
I just say I have an old Corvette. I either get "Oh." or "Cool! That is awesome, where is it?"

You should have seen the faces when I said I had an old Ferrari.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:02 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Wrongfully judged??? I'd say that pretty much a guarantee for anyone making an "observation" without doing any talking with the party accused. It's right in line with, Don't judge a book by it's cover.

I'm quite positive in the 25 years I've been part of the Corvette world, that unknowingly, I'm been targeted by someone's negativity, which I'm sure a lot of other people fall into the same category.

Personally, I don't give a FF about total stranger's perception of me, whether it be in an online forum or in the real world. I didn't enter the Corvette world for social prestige or modify my car to satisfy the majority of what people deem as the right choices. The day you see a thread generated by me asking "what do you all think choice I should make" is the day you know I've lost my marbles.

If being wrongfully judged is something that bothers you constantly, then I'd say that's a personal issue. Life is going to major PITA for anyone that hinges on being perceived as the "good guy" in every scenario, whether you drive a Corvette or not. It's impossible to get along with everyone or be in their good graces.

How many times have people heard...."The first time I met you, I really thought you were an azzhole but, then we became friends".
Yello95 (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 08:13 AM
PuckDracon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

It's not so much the price of the car, it is the lack of practicality that makes them seem so unobtainable to most.

A lot of people want Vettes, and could afford them, but a V8 2 seater with no carseat hooks and limited trunk space doesn't make sense to the majority of people. That makes it seem like much more of an extravagant expense than it really is. To be honest, you can spec out a new Honda Accord to be about the same price as a clean title used C7. A C6 in amazing shape with low miles can be less than a new Civic - and not even the Si, just the EX-L with a few options is like $28k now. A C5 even in Z06 trim(my favorite Vette ever is the C5Z) is cheaper than a new Corolla.

It's not like its a Lambo or a Ferrari, so its not really the price...Vettes are still seen as just toys for well off older people for the most part.
Skyhawk23 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 AM
Anything u like
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

It doesn’t matter what you do there will ALWAYS be someone who will criticize you for it. If you drove around in a Prius some a-hole would call you a tree hugger. If you drove around in a rusted ‘75 Vega some a-hole would call you a lazy loser. It’s YOUR life. As long as you aren’t hurting others live it YOUR way.

BTW if you think a Vette gets you criticized try driving a Porsche. Have had 8 corvettes in my life and haven’t received as much negativity in total as I did with my one 911.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:16 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Bajaholic
I have had a Corvette since I was 18, and we (myself and wife)have always been on our own and paid for our own things. Yes, we may have had a loan but we made the payments without help. People will always comment on the nice things we work for. OWN IT, when a comment comes across, my favorite line is: That is the reason I go to work on Mondays and every other day. I am proud of what I have achieved. It was hard work...

I have NEVER had a person respond in any way other than respect... 99.9% of the time we then spin it back to the car itself.

I have had MANY people ask to take a picture with one of my cars, most of the time I ask if they want to sit in it for the picture. You would be amazed how that changes their day! I especially offer it to kids when their parents are trying to show how the kids need to respect the car. Good teachings and helping keep the new generations interested in cars...
I agree
your awesome for sharing your time and car with kids in need!

I always get the looks when I drive the 68 with its searing eyeball red paint, always a lot of positive comments. If someone gets crazy, I just say that it is not mine, it is a customers and getting it running again.. I'm 41 and look younger than my age...

but it I do the same if I'm at a show and there is a young boy or girl that likes the car I let them sit in there and dream...parents really cannot believe it either...
my all time best was a boy with autism that was not verbal at all and was very active though with his motor skills. He was attracted to my car because of the red paint from what his mom said. I said let's let him sit in it and she couldn't believe it. She was worried he would break something- so was I, but that boy sat in there and I closed the door- you wear a 68 it's so tight,
and when he started making motor sounds and driving sounds it brought the whole crowd that now gathered to tears, me included. His mom couldn't believe it...
The following 2 users liked this post by midigike:
Mike98SilVert (08-15-2018), Westy R (06-17-2021)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:34 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

IDGAF (a stated by a previous blogger)

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better!

Last edited by tobaccokid; 08-14-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:38 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by PuckDracon
A lot of people want Vettes, and could afford them, but a V8 2 seater with no carseat hooks.
My 03 Z06 has the air bag disable switch in the glove box and the LATCH system for the passenger seat. This is from the factory.

Many Vette owners don't realize this. If you have the disable switch, look at the passenger seat for a gray dot near a slit on the seat surface. The hooks are there. Also, there will be a metal tab in the cargo area behind the passenger seat. That is the third attachment point.
ArmchairArchitect (08-15-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 12:58 PM
stief
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Good or bad, stereotypes are somewhat based in truth. Scan a few threads from different forums here and you'll see every one. From the guys that go out of their way to make a kids day, to the " I have more money than you and you are are beneath me" ******. Basically just like any other aspect of life.

Last edited by stief; 08-14-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:26 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

I get much more compliments than snarkiness. I am cautious to not bring the C5Z to my client's offices (and when I do, I park it far away) because the perception could be that they're paying me too much (when really it just comes down to managing personal finance really well). or other areas where it can be seen as a negative.

What does annoy me though, is non-car people, they really like the car but then their first question is almost always "what year is it" as if that's the most important thing. Then they seem disappointed that it's not the latest model (or maybe I'm just being paranoid). Sheep. I just started responding with "5th generation" instead of the year.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 08-14-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:27 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by PuckDracon
It's not so much the price of the car, it is the lack of practicality that makes them seem so unobtainable to most.

A lot of people want Vettes, and could afford them, but a V8 2 seater with no carseat hooks and limited trunk space doesn't make sense to the majority of people. That makes it seem like much more of an extravagant expense than it really is. To be honest, you can spec out a new Honda Accord to be about the same price as a clean title used C7. A C6 in amazing shape with low miles can be less than a new Civic - and not even the Si, just the EX-L with a few options is like $28k now. A C5 even in Z06 trim(my favorite Vette ever is the C5Z) is cheaper than a new Corolla.

It's not like its a Lambo or a Ferrari, so its not really the price...Vettes are still seen as just toys for well off older people for the most part.
We just picked up a new car for my wife last night. I am hugely impressed with it, beautifully built, seriously quick, every tech gadget you can imagine (and a few you wouldn't), turbocharged, 7-speed dual clutch transmission, full leather interior, sounds fantastic. The price was more than double what I have in the C5, and it's as good (in some ways better) than the 2008 Mercedes E350 we used to have. With cars this good, available for reasonable prices, you have to want a sports car because you like sports cars. Some folks aren't willing to make that choice, and then I suppose they get jealous because they had to buy that 5 year old minivan.

The car? 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Ultimate. She's already getting positive comments on it.
Westy R (06-17-2021)
Old 08-14-2018, 04:20 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

I wonder if people who buy $40K Harleys get the same treatment?

Get notified of new replies

To Wrongfully judged?

Old 08-14-2018, 06:13 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

While I typically get more positive comments than negative ones - I have had both.

Generally speaking, I chalk up the "Must be nice to..." comments to people who are fundamentally insecure, jealous and too stupid to figure out how to find out how much a given car actually costs (after all - using Google is really way above most people's skill levels), and how they could easily have one if they simply made it a priority...

What I find interesting is that I don't get snarky comments about being in my office at 6:00 AM working, or not spending $5/day for coffee or $10/day for lunch, or mowing my own lawn etc. etc. etc. How many of you haven't seen a neighbor outside washing their own car in a long long time ??? It's all about priorities, and choices.....

Truthfully, I see so many Lexus, Audis, Mercedes, BMW's and Range Rovers on the way home every day - you would think that these things are growing on trees ... But because you a have a Vette - you must be super rich ??? In an age where a new 1/2 ton pick-up easily costs over $40K, and where even a new Camry or Accord can easily clear the $30K mark, a $50K new Vette is not too much of a stretch... But people are simply too stupid to recognize this (Particularly those who lease one of the "luxury" SUV's and who will have a $600+/month car payment for the rest of their life)...
Westy R (06-17-2021)
Old 08-14-2018, 06:25 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple92
While I typically get more positive comments than negative ones - I have had both.

Generally speaking, I chalk up the "Must be nice to..." comments to people who are fundamentally insecure, jealous and too stupid to figure out how to find out how much a given car actually costs (after all - using Google is really way above most people's skill levels), and how they could easily have one if they simply made it a priority...

What I find interesting is that I don't get snarky comments about being in my office at 6:00 AM working, or not spending $5/day for coffee or $10/day for lunch, or mowing my own lawn etc. etc. etc. How many of you haven't seen a neighbor outside washing their own car in a long long time ??? It's all about priorities, and choices.....

Truthfully, I see so many Lexus, Audis, Mercedes, BMW's and Range Rovers on the way home every day - you would think that these things are growing on trees ... But because you a have a Vette - you must be super rich ??? In an age where a new 1/2 ton pick-up easily costs over $40K, and where even a new Camry or Accord can easily clear the $30K mark, a $50K new Vette is not too much of a stretch... But people are simply too stupid to recognize this (Particularly those who lease one of the "luxury" SUV's and who will have a $600+/month car payment for the rest of their life)...
$40k for a new 1/2 ton ? I was just looking at 2018 Silverados on the lot at my local dealer. All of then had a sticker of $50k and higher...average was a $55K MSRP. As for the topic, I get compliments all the time. I don't think I ever got a rude comment.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:46 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,706 Likes on 2,996 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I was sitting at a local car show a few years ago when a young couple walked by my car & the guy said, "I hate Corvettes". I just let it go, too nice of a night to respond to that garbage

Quick Reply: Wrongfully judged?