Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which offroad x pipe with stock manifolds and stock Z06 mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 04:41 AM
BlackC5 Z06
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Which offroad x pipe with stock manifolds and stock Z06 mufflers?

Wanting to make the car a little louder as it's too quiet for me. What x pipe will work with stock manifolds and the z06 mufflers? Also thought about borla stingers but I think just an offroad pipe will make it loud enough for me. Thanks for any opinions.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:16 AM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

An x-pipe will actually make the car quieter. Borla and Corsa both make quality x-pipes if you want to go that route, but if you want loud I'd go with Corsa Extreme, B&B Bullet or Borla Stinger axle back exhaust system. Personally I have the Extremes and love em.

Steve
Old 08-28-2018, 11:41 AM
BlackC5 Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by killian96ss
An x-pipe will actually make the car quieter. Borla and Corsa both make quality x-pipes if you want to go that route, but if you want loud I'd go with Corsa Extreme, B&B Bullet or Borla Stinger axle back exhaust system. Personally I have the Extremes and love em.

Steve
An off road X pipe will make it quieter? Usually eliminating that cats make them a fair bit louder.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:49 AM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Ok, I see what your thinking now. The "off road" x-pipes are made to work with LT headers, so are you planning on making some custom head pipes to connect to the factory manifolds? I guess you could also run a standard x-pipe and weld in straight tubes to replace the cats.

Steve

Last edited by killian96ss; 08-28-2018 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 08-28-2018, 11:57 AM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackC5 Z06
An off road X pipe will make it quieter? Usually eliminating that cats make them a fair bit louder.

Cats are further upstream then the stock H-pipe and most aftermarket x-pipes. Not really an "offroad" part. Long tube headers move the x-pipe upstream a bit and can be offroad. Most LT systems will have an off-road or a catted version available. The cheaper ones are pretty much always catless, so you'd have to weld in some.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:11 PM
BlackC5 Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by ArtClassShank
Cats are further upstream then the stock H-pipe and most aftermarket x-pipes. Not really an "offroad" part. Long tube headers move the x-pipe upstream a bit and can be offroad. Most LT systems will have an off-road or a catted version available. The cheaper ones are pretty much always catless, so you'd have to weld in some.
I wondered about that. I asked someone else and they said it would do away with the cats. I'm too used to mustangs where the cats are always in the H pipe I guess.

Looks like my only options are longtubes and new x or axle back setup. Was hoping to keep the stock titanium exhaust so not sure what route I'll go....
Old 08-29-2018, 05:57 PM
WayneCar
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackC5 Z06
I wondered about that. I asked someone else and they said it would do away with the cats. I'm too used to mustangs where the cats are always in the H pipe I guess.

Looks like my only options are longtubes and new x or axle back setup. Was hoping to keep the stock titanium exhaust so not sure what route I'll go....
Some good long tube headers and X-Pipe will really make the TI's sound much better. And you keep the weight down and pick up some hp.
Wayne
Old 08-29-2018, 10:26 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

An offroad x-pipe will do away with the cats and yes the sound will increase. However, with that being said the only available x-pipes on the market are the ones that are at the rear of the vehicle, and they will bolt on. I did this at first and there was no significance increase in volume like you are wanting. The only way to remove the cats is either find a shop that is willing to remove them and weld in the pipes with a flange to bolt to the stock manifolds, or the other option is to go LT's. After everything was said and done I ended up going the LT route and went with Borla XR-1. Their setup actually puts the off road x-pipe towards the front of the vehicle as opposed to the rear like some of the other vendors. If you are just wanting noise increase then add some cutouts and be done with it. Before LT's I had manual cutouts($25 a piece from summit) and it sounded fantastic, but the drone over time began to get under my skin.

Last edited by Not4spd; 08-29-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:01 AM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a Magnaflo. They actually weld in place a true crossover. It looks like it will flow better than others. My exhaust is stock, otherwise. I have not installed it, yet.
​​​​​​Spaggs

Get notified of new replies

To Which offroad x pipe with stock manifolds and stock Z06 mufflers?

Quick Reply: Which offroad x pipe with stock manifolds and stock Z06 mufflers?