Sponsored by:

Tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Wall-E
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts
Default About consider the following

For some reason the listing of those cities complete with avg daily high & low temps - did not appear

fyi those cities all had avg low temps for April below 40 - meaning - sometime during April, like late April at best, a tire would reach a minimum of 40 degrees.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Dbl_D718
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Wall-E
Forgot to include as part of information from Tire Rack about the Michelin’s :
”... these tires should not be serviced ( mounted or dismounted ) or stored in temperatures at or below freezing and should not be driven until tires have warned to 40 degrees ...”

so so if you lived in ( or north of - and there’s a big slug of America north of these locations )Average April temperatures for US cities.High °FLow °FCityHigh °CLow °C5537Buffalo, New York1335939Chicago, Illinois1546642Cincinnati, Ohio1965940Cleveland, Ohio1556134Denver, Colorado1615939Detroit, Michigan1546138Hartford,
You would not ( should not, be doing anything with these tires ( or ones like them - other “summer” tires ) until at least April and have them put away by the end of October. And consider the amount of locations NORTH of these cities

I live in greater Boston and although I’m sure there are cars stored in heated situations and must be those that store the vehicle and remove the wheels and tires and store in a heated environment - I don’t know of anyone that does - and - I see lots and lots of these cars ( & tires ) out on the roads in March and still out on the roads almost to thanksgiving.

At the least theres a disconnect beteeen Tire Rack and reality
I'm surprised to see this blowing your mind so much. Yes, some tires are best kept above freezing temps at all times, even during storage. It's just the nature of the rubber compounds that give optimal traction, they can be damaged in cold climates. And yes, there are plenty of sports cars sold with summer tires from the factory, so if those buyers want to use the car in cold weather, they'll need different tires.

All that said, for me in IL, I store my summer tires in an unheated garage during the winter, and have not personally had any trouble with it.

Quick Reply: Tire advice