Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need honest advice selling my supercharged c5z06!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 12:05 PM
z0quicks
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need honest advice selling my supercharged c5z06!

Hello fellow Corvette lovers! It’s looking like it might be time to part ways with my baby after owning her for over 7 years. This post is to discuss what would be considered a fair price for the buyer while still being fair to me as well. By the mod list you can see a lot of time/money has gone into the car but being a rebuilt title and 172k on the odometer I’m really unsure what price to put on it. The car has been virtually stock up until a few thousand miles ago. Only reason I’m selling is working and going to school full time means this car sits way too much since it isn’t my daily driver and so I want it to go to someone who will enjoy it. All constructive feedback is welcome, thank you!

Tuning was done by Jeremy Formato of Fasterproms in Tampa, FL

Dyno numbers are 630rwhp/547tq on 9lbs

Engine:

• ECS Novi 1500SC blacked out supercharger kit (with intercooler and BOV)

• ECS Stg 2 blower cam

• BTR Dual Valve Springs/Chromoly Pushrods

• Yella Terra Roller Rockers (stock ratio)

• C5R Timing Chain

• BTR Ported Oil Pump

• LG 1 ¾ Longtube Headers w/aftermarket X-pipe

• Borla Cat-Back Exhaust System

• Dewitts Custom C5 Aluminum Radiator w/Fan and Shroud Upgrade Kit

• New ACDelco Water Pump

Fuel System:

• New ACDelco Fuel Pump

• Boost-a-Pump Kit w/Hot-Wire Kit

• Siemens 60lb injectors

• Autometer Fuel Rail Pressure Guage

Transmission:

• Mcleod RST Twin Disk Clutch

• Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel

• B&M Short Throw Shifter w/aftermarket ****

• Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder

• ECS Trans/Diff Brace

• New slave cylinder

Wheels/Tires:

• Weld Racing RST Wheels 17x9.5/17x10.5 (Brand New)

• Nitto NT05 Drag Radials on Rear (Brand New)

• Bridgestone Potenza RE760 on Front

Suspension:

• C6Z06 Factory Shocks (Car is lowered on factory bolts)

Brakes:

• Drill/Slot Rotors with Ceramic Pads

Body:

• ZR1 Front Lip and Side Skirts

• Halo LED Tail Lights (smoked)

• Projector Headlights (black housing) and Upgraded Bronze Gears for Headlight Motors

• Aftermarket Front Turn Signals

• 15% Tint All Around

Interior:

• C6Z06 Leather Seats (Good shape)

• Custom Double Din Dash

• Kenwood Double Din Head Unit

• Triple Gauge Pillar Pod

◦ Autometer Boost Gauge

◦ AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge

◦ Autometer Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge

• Custom Z06 Floor Mats

• Aftermarket Kicker Speakers

Last edited by z0quicks; 09-03-2018 at 12:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (09-07-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

You don't say exactly (or maybe I missed it), was the motor rebuilt? if so how many miles on rebuild?
Old 09-03-2018, 12:50 PM
z0quicks
Instructor

Originally Posted by Old School
You don't say exactly (or maybe I missed it), was the motor rebuilt? if so how many miles on rebuild?
I’ve never rebuilt the motor but I purchased it around 122k so I can’t confirm if it was before I bought it. I did however do a compression check on the engine prior to the supercharger and they were all good. I plan on redoing the compression test and posting the pics of the results as proof when I do go to sell it
Old 09-03-2018, 12:59 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

The year might be helpful. Figure half of what you spent on mods to a stock one.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:06 PM
z0quicks
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Rabbi
The year might be helpful. Figure half of what you spent on mods to a stock one.
oh yes I was so concerned with the mod list I forgot the simple things like the year haha. It’s a 2001
Old 09-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

Why does it have a rebuilt title? (crash, flood, theft recovery?)
Old 09-03-2018, 01:32 PM
z0quicks
Instructor

Originally Posted by Old School
Why does it have a rebuilt title? (crash, flood, theft recovery?)
It was involved in an accident in California, I saw the carfax from the guy I bought it off of and it had damage on the right rear quarter panel
Old 09-03-2018, 04:20 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Great looking car and with a lot of super cool mods. It is a shame you are getting rid of it. Thanks for asking for an honest assessment, so please read with the spirit intended.

This is a tricky one and I'm afraid you will be ultimately disappointed. Your target audience is pretty narrow because at a basic level what you have is a "High mileage, heavily modded, salvage car but well sorted." The C5 (from what I observe) market that gets higher dollar favors "low mileage, factory/slight mods with a squeaky clean CARFAX automobile". People seem to want to buy a factory-ish car and mod according to their own taste rather than buy someone else's vision.

Depending on your asking price, The people interested will be people looking (or can only afford) a low dollar vehicle or racers who don't care about title status or resale value. IMHO, your mods are solid, but offset by the mileage and the salvage title. The car is a Z06 but the 01 is the least favored and while you put lots into the engine, the suspension has not had attention (speaks to automotive balance) so the impression is of burning smoking tires.

My guess is that the market will be between 12-15k.

So, keep the car and get a loan for the school. You wont get much tuition for your automotive investment and you will truly miss this great looking car.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:15 PM
z0quicks
Instructor

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Great looking car and with a lot of super cool mods. It is a shame you are getting rid of it. Thanks for asking for an honest assessment, so please read with the spirit intended.

This is a tricky one and I'm afraid you will be ultimately disappointed. Your target audience is pretty narrow because at a basic level what you have is a "High mileage, heavily modded, salvage car but well sorted." The C5 (from what I observe) market that gets higher dollar favors "low mileage, factory/slight mods with a squeaky clean CARFAX automobile". People seem to want to buy a factory-ish car and mod according to their own taste rather than buy someone else's vision.

Depending on your asking price, The people interested will be people looking (or can only afford) a low dollar vehicle or racers who don't care about title status or resale value. IMHO, your mods are solid, but offset by the mileage and the salvage title. The car is a Z06 but the 01 is the least favored and while you put lots into the engine, the suspension has not had attention (speaks to automotive balance) so the impression is of burning smoking tires.

My guess is that the market will be between 12-15k.

So, keep the car and get a loan for the school. You wont get much tuition for your automotive investment and you will truly miss this great looking car.
Thank for the honest feedback! I completely respect what you have to say and I actually agree, that’s why I was seeking a realistic opinion among my peers. Ive easily spent 13k+ on mods (just doing quick math) and I know I’ll never get that back out of it but I was hoping to get near 15k for the car. I really don’t want to sell the car believe me but in your opinion on a car so heavily modded do you feel id be better off just parting it out?
Old 09-03-2018, 05:55 PM
Signal_Hack
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The title status is murdering your value. If it's possible to demod and peice it out, consider that. Damage to the right rear with out a real description of what was damaged is a tough pill to swallow for a buyer. I would have been all over that car for the price you're wanting until I saw it was a salvage.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:08 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by z0quicks
in your opinion on a car so heavily modded do you feel id be better off just parting it out?
No, I don't think you would be better off. Just the pure time and hassle of disassembly, shipping, flakey buyers and time (this could take months and months). Plus, you may not get your money back. As stated above, you will advertise your parts for at least 50% of value or $6.5 if (you mentioned putting 13k in mods) if you sold everything. The car is probably 5-7k as a 172k salvage car. The Z06 options are worth something but the engine won't get you near what you need as it will need to be rebuilt. Add everything and you get the 12-15 range.

So, advertise the car and do the best you can. It is a sharp car and if priced right, you will be able to overcome your challenges.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:18 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

My only advice is not to go to college simply for a degree that you won’t use. You’d have been better off going to vocational school and learning a trade you can actually use from day1 out of school.

The majority of college kids have debt for crap/degrees that are worthless in their post school life.

Honestly the car car without the mods would barely make $10k. Salvage title with very high miles. Any number you get wouldn’t be worth selling.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:02 PM
z0quicks
Instructor

Originally Posted by Signal_Hack
The title status is murdering your value. If it's possible to demod and peice it out, consider that. Damage to the right rear with out a real description of what was damaged is a tough pill to swallow for a buyer. I would have been all over that car for the price you're wanting until I saw it was a salvage.
Yeah I mean I suppose I could go through with getting the carfax again, it had a bunch of pics of the damage on there if someone was truly interested.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:12 PM
z0quicks
Instructor

Originally Posted by ~Josh
My only advice is not to go to college simply for a degree that you won’t use. You’d have been better off going to vocational school and learning a trade you can actually use from day1 out of school.

The majority of college kids have debt for crap/degrees that are worthless in their post school life.

Honestly the car car without the mods would barely make $10k. Salvage title with very high miles. Any number you get wouldn’t be worth selling.
I hear ya I actually went to Universal Technical Institue for automotive technology right out of high school. I’m also a veteran and have been going to school for the past couple years on the GI bill so selling the car isn’t so much for the tuition (because that’s covered) as it is that I simply don’t have the time to enjoy the car and feel bad it sits so much. I mean the car was “done” around 2016 and I’ve put only a couple thousand miles on it since then, so I clearly don’t drive it much. I just want a somewhat newer truck to get me back and forth to work and school something a little more practical and I really don’t want to finance it since my corvette is paid for. Hence the idea to sell the vette to pay cash for a truck. I know I know the truck wouldn’t be anywhere near as good or fun as the vette but life is about timing and right now this might be for the best unfortunately. Trust me...if this car sells I will end up crying as i watch it drive away lol
Old 09-03-2018, 09:08 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Maybe sell a couple of the "special" things (blower, C6 seats), and the car without blower/with factory seats? Don't think you'll get much different of a price... I might be wrong.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:02 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

^ I agree. Cash out the bigger ticket items like the blower and wheels. You’d get the same for the car with or without those items.

Those wheels are freaking expensive.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you are really wanting to sell, then I agree, take the expensive mods off the car, sell them and then sell the car. Good luck and hope it doesn't take too long to sell with the salvage title.

Get notified of new replies

To Need honest advice selling my supercharged c5z06!

Old 09-04-2018, 01:54 AM
Dfire88
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would most definitely put the factory wheels on and sell the Welds separately! You can most likely get another $1,500 or so if you take the first low ball offer for them and I don't see them adding nearly that value to the Z.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:09 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by z0quicks

I hear ya I actually went to Universal Technical Institue for automotive technology right out of high school. I’m also a veteran and have been going to school for the past couple years on the GI bill so selling the car isn’t so much for the tuition (because that’s covered) as it is that I simply don’t have the time to enjoy the car and feel bad it sits so much. I mean the car was “done” around 2016 and I’ve put only a couple thousand miles on it since then, so I clearly don’t drive it much. I just want a somewhat newer truck to get me back and forth to work and school something a little more practical and I really don’t want to finance it since my corvette is paid for. Hence the idea to sell the vette to pay cash for a truck. I know I know the truck wouldn’t be anywhere near as good or fun as the vette but life is about timing and right now this might be for the best unfortunately. Trust me...if this car sells I will end up crying as i watch it drive away lol
First Thank you for your service.

ok....Sell that Blue fin boat, get rid of that old truck on lift without tires....and now buy something really practical.
I see nothing practical about having a newer truck to just tool back and forth to school and work....
Buy a 4 cyl beater and forget taking that big hit...
Unless of course you really don't care to keep it at all?
If thats the case I agree part with the blower and wheels before you sell.
Honestly think you will regret giving it away.....and thats pretty much whats going to happen with that title....
But you never really know..you might get lucky.
BS5842...nice post...

Oh...you forgot to mention what you are going to school for?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:06 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Pull the SC & sell separately return the car to stock & sell also.

If you do that PM me I'd be interested in the SC

Quick Reply: Need honest advice selling my supercharged c5z06!