Sponsored by:

Car Shows - Who goes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Vinny 2001
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i like going to meet and talk to people, like minded individual, always have a good time.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:58 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

With my engine 100% polished you’d think I’d go but I never do.

Might try one next year.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:24 PM
ttiros
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

I go to 3-4 a year and post pics. I think folks who can't or don't have them appreciate my pics.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:29 PM
Pacecar78
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks to all, for your comments. I guess I gave the impression that at least some of the local shows I have attended are Corvette only. Not any of them. Our town and surrounding area is about 100,000. Not enough folks for an all Corvette show. 90% of shows are for ALL - Collector type, or very old cars, or Hot Rod cars. Often the car must be at least 20 years old to be judged. Will usually cost you $20-$40 to show your car. All goes to charity and free entry to spectators. ----------------- But, coming up Sat. night Is something different. ----------- " Wheels and Wings" -------- Event Description: A classic car show and airplane expo on the runway at Paradise Airport featuring: Live Music from Decades,
Gourmet fare from the region's top caterers. A benefit for Rotary Club of Paradise and the Northern California Ballet. Dine and Dance Under the Stars. -- 6 pm to 10 PM..... I got invited to show my car. At 74 years, 10 PM is a little passed my curfew, but I am going anyway. I got to see this! Sounds like a party!
Old 09-05-2018, 06:44 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The car/plane shows are cool. Vetts and Jets was very cool.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Bob in Elliot Lake
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I enjoy most car shows ... for an hour or two. . I do enter one or two a year because friends are putting them on to support local charities, but truthfully, after an hour or so all I want to do is go for a ride.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:54 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Planes, trains and automobiles make for a great show. Especially if they're all incorporated into 1 show. I love those. Pacecar78, please post some pictures of the show if you take any.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Pacecar78
Instructor

Originally Posted by mstromquist
Planes, trains and automobiles make for a great show. Especially if they're all incorporated into 1 show. I love those. Pacecar78, please post some pictures of the show if you take any.
mstromquest ------ I will try to get a couple of good pictures up here, Sunday. Looking forward to this Wheels and Wings show. -------------- I went to one of these car/airplane shows once. The plane were 90% of the show. The cars were shoved off to the side of the main area. Most spectators never noticed the car. Worst show I've ever attended.--------------- I am told that the cars & airplanes are mixed together at this show.. Will see!
The following users liked this post:
mstromquist (09-07-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 11:00 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

I do it to look around, but definitely not to be judged.

Usually I take my ‘69 Stingray which is a 100% survivor. It doesn’t exactly make waves with the “I painted this nova in my driveway and added moroso dress up chrome” crowd.

It shows it’s age but I love it. Took it to a big local vette show and the guy who actually ran me down to talk ran a resto place and was so happy to see one just left as is.

The c5 isn’t quite flashy enough. It’s very clean but that won’t get you points. I feel like car show judging is based on number of in-your-face changes to a vehicle. I love a subtle look so it’s not for me.

Do a couple unique events like the Wings and Wheels stuff. Let kids sit in them if they want. I just try to have a good time.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:30 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

I do a Cars & Coffee event we have here 3rd Sunday of the month, I probably should show my car since I keep the underside as clean as the topside & engine compartment, but I rather travel out of state for larger shows so I am not seeing all the same cars that I would normally see at local shows. And my car stays home in the garage, no road trips.

Last edited by 6speedsteve; 09-06-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:11 PM
Floridasky
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Congratulations Pacecar78! Concours Events are the best of carshows. I enjoy carshows, it's not the winning but talking with other car owners and spectators. I do 8 to 12 shows a year with my two cars and twenty other cars I take care of for a private Fort Worth car collector. Way to go.
The following users liked this post:
Pacecar78 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:41 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,336 Likes on 1,618 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I personally loathe car shows, car meets however I love... I guess its a generational thing. I'd rather just go find a parking lot full of enthusiasts and shoot the **** for a while with no pressure of your car being judged or crappy music playing or people running around dumping flyers in your car. I can come and go as I please, theirs no one telling me where I can or cant park, I don't have to open my hood if I choose not too... lot of advantages to me. I use to do the car show thing and I just always felt it to be a waste of time. That being said I do try to attend a few of the local fundraiser events throughout the year but I usually wont register the car, just donate and walk around for a bit.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:50 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

I like meeting people at car shows and seeing all of the different cars, but I don't like the entry fees. I prefer going to drive-ins where there is no entry fee, just a bunch of people getting together to meet and talk about their rides...
Old 09-07-2018, 09:53 AM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen
I personally loathe car shows, car meets however I love... I guess its a generational thing. I'd rather just go find a parking lot full of enthusiasts and shoot the **** for a while with no pressure of your car being judged or crappy music playing or people running around dumping flyers in your car. I can come and go as I please, theirs no one telling me where I can or cant park, I don't have to open my hood if I choose not too... lot of advantages to me. I use to do the car show thing and I just always felt it to be a waste of time. That being said I do try to attend a few of the local fundraiser events throughout the year but I usually wont register the car, just donate and walk around for a bit.
I’m with you. I’ve done enthusiast meets with my old cars but decided to do a Corvette show for laughs. After getting lectured for too many mods (heaven forbid they weren’t chrome doodads) I just laughed and said never again. Not exactly a way to get someone to join your club.

It hit all the major points for me though. Old guy wearing a bowling shirt with flames giving me the side eye while his C5 with every chrome JC Whitney add-on you can order sits there with a do not touch sign. The creepy looking dude trying to tell me I can give him $200 to buff my car...likely with a HF palm sander with a terry pad and the “my friend has a xxx car”. In this case it was a 600 whp WRX wagon. Having spent a bunch of time in the WRX world I asked him if the turbo was upgraded to the TD04 (stock turbo for the year he claimed the car was) and he was like absolutely etc etc.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:28 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly

I’m with you. I’ve done enthusiast meets with my old cars but decided to do a Corvette show for laughs. After getting lectured for too many mods (heaven forbid they weren’t chrome doodads) I just laughed and said never again. Not exactly a way to get someone to join your club.

It hit all the major points for me though. Old guy wearing a bowling shirt with flames giving me the side eye while his C5 with every chrome JC Whitney add-on you can order sits there with a do not touch sign. The creepy looking dude trying to tell me I can give him $200 to buff my car...likely with a HF palm sander with a terry pad and the “my friend has a xxx car”. In this case it was a 600 whp WRX wagon. Having spent a bunch of time in the WRX world I asked him if the turbo was upgraded to the TD04 (stock turbo for the year he claimed the car was) and he was like absolutely etc etc.
I just don't get the anti-chrome crowd. Done tastefully, chrome still looks better to me than any other finish, especially black...
Old 09-07-2018, 10:41 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,336 Likes on 1,618 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I feel ya brotha, went to a local charity show and tried to park next to some other vettes... got dirty looks from the second I came in with the cam chopping and the blower fluttering... all of them came over and instantly started picking it appart... why would you ruin the value, why would you remove the side moldings, why would you put c7 jake on your car when its a c5, it has to have c5 jake, blah blah blah... **** gets old lol
Old 09-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Pacecar78
Instructor

Originally Posted by Floridasky
Congratulations Pacecar78! Concours Events are the best of carshows. I enjoy carshows, it's not the winning but talking with other car owners and spectators. I do 8 to 12 shows a year with my two cars and twenty other cars I take care of for a private Fort Worth car collector. Way to go.
Floridasky------------------ As you said: it's not the winning but talking with other car owners and spectators.------------ But, it is nice to win once in a while

Get notified of new replies

To Car Shows - Who goes?

Old 09-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Pacecar78
Instructor

Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen
MaxPlus ten --------------------------------------- This thread has got a lot of comments from folks who prefer informal "Parking Lot or Drive In" get togethers. I have heard of these Drive ins, from friends who like in heavy populated areas. I am told Drive Ins are spontaneous, usually on Friday or Saturday night. Sounds like fun! Not heard of one around hear. But, then, being an older guy, I'm not out much at night. Maybe you statement above: "I guess its a generational thing.: is correct.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:29 PM
Pacecar78
Instructor

Mikey McFly -------------------------------- I am so glad you enter your comment. You had me laughing so hard my new hearing aid fell out, on to the floor and I almost rolled my desk chair over it. Your description of the ole boy in the bowling shirt with flames, really got me going. I know this ole boy, well! He and 4 more like him, have shown up at every car show, I've ever been to! He/They knows every thing about every car, YOU have ever owned --- He had one just like it, --- only his had lower mileage better paint, a blonde in the back seat, and a Blue Tick Hound named Lucky, who could actually steer that car, if he drank too much. I love that ole boy, - don't speak badly of him, --- he is the entertainment! No car show is complete without him.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:45 PM
kzoo-z
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Pacecar78
MaxPlus ten --------------------------------------- This thread has got a lot of comments from folks who prefer informal "Parking Lot or Drive In" get togethers. I have heard of these Drive ins, from friends who like in heavy populated areas. I am told Drive Ins are spontaneous, usually on Friday or Saturday night. Sounds like fun! Not heard of one around hear. But, then, being an older guy, I'm not out much at night. Maybe you statement above: "I guess its a generational thing.: is correct.
You shouldn't let it be a generational thing, the C & D's or Drive in's will almost certainly lean towards a younger crowd in most cases. And while I do enjoy grabbing a chair and hanging out with the slower crowd at times, to get truly excited you need to walk around and see what the modern day (younger ) enthusiast are doing. The builds, the horsepower, the style statements, and the knowledge is unbelievable. Some I love some I just like but if you ask questions and take time to listen you will more than likely find a "car guy/gal" willing to share a vast amount of information and fun.
O yeah I forgot to mention the stereo's ...........

Quick Reply: Car Shows - Who goes?