Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Shows - Who goes?

Old 09-07-2018, 05:17 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
I just don't get the anti-chrome crowd. Done tastefully, chrome still looks better to me than any other finish, especially black...
The thing is that Chevy hasn't put chrome on a Corvette since 1973 when the C3 had the final year of a chrome rear bumper. Slapping chrome trinkets all over it isn't improving the car and while I get it's trying to recapture something from the 50's and 60's it just looks stuck on. The side intakes, tail light louvers and reverse light surrounds come to mind. It also has been my experience that people who do these type of modifications think their car is the fastest car ever while yelling at people who get within 3 feet of their car. They're the type that need to put LS1 badgest all over the car, or get the huge printed board about their completely stock car.

It must be a generational thing. I like chrome on old muscle cars, even old show cars, but on modern cars it just looks cheap. I understand badging when there's multiple motor options (SS 454 / SS 396 come to mind) but pre-Z06 the LS1 was the motor. It doesn't matter if you got a base coupe with no options or a convertible with every box checked, it was the same engine.

Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen
I feel ya brotha, went to a local charity show and tried to park next to some other vettes... got dirty looks from the second I came in with the cam chopping and the blower fluttering... all of them came over and instantly started picking it appart... why would you ruin the value, why would you remove the side moldings, why would you put c7 jake on your car when its a c5, it has to have c5 jake, blah blah blah... **** gets old lol
OMG, exactly! My only major mods to mine are my seats and my wheels. One guy was like I hope you have the stock parts still, you've ruined the car without them. Then he's like you'll have to buy a second one that's stock since you've modified this one so much. Umm, I modified it because I didn't like the stock wheels / seats. I bit my tongue because I'm getting snide comments about my wheels from a crew running chrome replica wheels. Maybe it sounds elitist but I've got BBS forged wheels, they're an upgrade over OEM wagon wheels and are simply better made wheels than typical replicas, but since they're not chrome I guess they're garbage.

Originally Posted by Pacecar78
Mikey McFly -------------------------------- I am so glad you enter your comment. You had me laughing so hard my new hearing aid fell out, on to the floor and I almost rolled my desk chair over it. Your description of the ole boy in the bowling shirt with flames, really got me going. I know this ole boy, well! He and 4 more like him, have shown up at every car show, I've ever been to! He/They knows every thing about every car, YOU have ever owned --- He had one just like it, --- only his had lower mileage better paint, a blonde in the back seat, and a Blue Tick Hound named Lucky, who could actually steer that car, if he drank too much. I love that ole boy, - don't speak badly of him, --- he is the entertainment! No car show is complete without him.
Oh I don't disagree with you there. It's when those type follow you around the show yapping their ear off. This guy in particular had a rotted out 1996 F-150 with random parts spraypainted black. I started making stuff up and asking him about it and he was like yeah, totally.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:04 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I haven't even washed my car this summer. Last year my grandson washed it for me once. Garaged since new, and heavily molested. Car shows are not fun to participate, but kind of fun to judge. I get the biggest laughs from guys that know less about their car than I do.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:10 PM
kobrak
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have entered a few car shows just to get a good parking spot
Old 09-08-2018, 09:55 AM
dmsog
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

I've had my fill of car shows years ago and I've got a ton of trophies already. Not to brag, but just out of pride I've got three Super Chevy show class wins dating back to the early 90s, among others. (Non Corvette).
For the first time in years I'll be attending a show this weekend. It's a local Corvette only show and I won't be cleaning my exhaust tips with a toilet bowl brush and oven cleaner before I go. If they want to judge my car I'll take a pass on it
My trophy hunting days are over. It's just for fun now.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:07 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I like car shows. I use to go just to look at the cars and get ideas As my vette evolved I started winning, sometimes. As time and my vette evolved I started winning more often. Now, I have a trophy case full of trophy's both raceing and show.
Show's can be very political and bias. I don't go to win just to chat with folks.I am just as happy for the guy who has a nice clean stock vette winning for the first time as I do win i win with a totally modified vette.Just, don't live to win car show's.
It's not that important. Have fun.
The following users liked this post:
MSG C5 (09-08-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 10:47 AM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

I like to go take pictures but to stay there for a long period of time? Nada. My car, 03 Silver Coupe with 126K miles will never be a show car. ;-)
Old 09-09-2018, 11:15 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Have no interest in competing at shows. The politics of shows and clubs have gotten tiresome. I put five events on my calendar each year (one is 200 miles away) that the wife and I enjoy because of the venues or support of a favorite charity, some are NCRS events. This year I only made one of them, and that one I paid the admission fee but didn't bother registering the car after parking. One of the trends I see is that when you arrive at a Vette-only show you are asked if you are a member of a club - the clubs have reserved parking in advance. No problem with club members banding together, but when parking is tight and each club takes a couple additional spaces for setting up a hospitality tent while others park on gravel, grass, at a distant lot and sometimes worse, I'd rather be at a local cruise-in instead and just listen to the tunes, look at the cars, and talk with friends.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Pacecar78
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Pickleseimer --- I agree with your statement; The politics of shows and clubs have gotten tiresome. I have been to shows where the sponsoring club members, can enters their own cars in the competition. And all the club members vote for their guy. The lone competitor doesn't have a chance. I don't go to those shows, but one time. ---------------- I haven't seen much of that happen in recent years. ------------------- I do believe that behavior is happening less and less. Those clubs can't sponsor a show without attendance. -- And if cars are not judged fairly, attendance takes a dump. ----- I now find that the sponsoring club members can, and do display their cars, for exhibit only. Around here more and more shows are being judged by teams of judges instead of sponsoring member votes.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:05 PM
ttiros
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

When I lived in Maryland I went to a show were every judge had his car entered. Bet you can't guess which cars won?
Old 09-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Pacecar78
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mstromquist
Planes, trains and automobiles make for a great show. Especially if they're all incorporated into 1 show. I love those. Pacecar78, please post some pictures of the show if you take any.
Mstromquist As you requested. Here are a couple of pics. As I stated in post #24, this, for me was an unusual car show. Called Wheels and Wings it took place Sat. evening, 6 to 10 PM. on the airport runway. It was a small show of about 45 cars, 15 airplanes, 3 helicopters and other displays. Spectators paid $50 to attend. There was no entry fee for exhibitor and each got a free ticket to the event, which included dinner served by three caterers. There were also 3 or 4 bars, a dance band, and a very talented trio of singers. --- The cars were a good mix of old and modern Hot Rods, Customs, Originals, Sports, etc. Only two Corvettes. There was only one trophy, for the favorite car, It was selected by the spectator votes.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:34 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 804 Likes on 530 Posts

not much while it looked stock ('cause what's the point of that?), but i used to enter it in shows every now & then. took a couple trophies.
but after i started tracking it again & wrecked the nose paint, i quit worrying about it. still do cruise-ins, though, because it's a great atmosphere!
Old 09-10-2018, 04:04 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly
The thing is that Chevy hasn't put chrome on a Corvette since 1973 when the C3 had the final year of a chrome rear bumper. Slapping chrome trinkets all over it isn't improving the car and while I get it's trying to recapture something from the 50's and 60's it just looks stuck on. The side intakes, tail light louvers and reverse light surrounds come to mind. It also has been my experience that people who do these type of modifications think their car is the fastest car ever while yelling at people who get within 3 feet of their car. They're the type that need to put LS1 badgest all over the car, or get the huge printed board about their completely stock car.
That's why I said when it's tastefully done. I don't care for any of the things you mentioned in chrome either as it looks tacky. However, I still think chrome wheels look the best on ANY year Corvette (by a wide margin), and some chrome under the hood looks nice as well.

Last edited by grampi50; 09-10-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:07 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I don't mind car shows. I just go to see a wide variety of cars and talk to like-minded enthusiasts. I really don't care about trophies and judging and stuff.

I attended 2 big local shows this weekend. A very overcast one on Saturday, and a very sunny one on Sunday. Electron Blue paint looks good in any weather. And, no, chrome does not belong on late model Corvettes. They aren't Buick LeSabres, guys. LOL

Old 09-11-2018, 10:54 AM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 249 Posts

Yeah I like to go look, but then again I've been a car freak forever. Had planned on going to a show this coming weekend in Wilmington, NC, but the way things look right now there may not be a Wilmington by the weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Shows - Who goes?