Convertible top rubbing paint off deck lid - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top rubbing paint off deck lid

Old 09-13-2018, 03:09 PM
slopoke17
CF Senior Member

Default Convertible top rubbing paint off deck lid

I have a 2001 convertible that is rubbing the paint off in the corners where the top makes contact with the deck lid. Seems to be mainly where the seam is on the roof fabric. I also noticed yesterday that that now rub 2 marks in the middle, about 4" long and in the center of the lid. The first one seems to be because of the thickness in the folded seam. I did some research and it appears that the 2002 and newer had a thicker seal and the tops were adjusted for more of a gap. Can anyone tell me what the part number is for the newer weatherstripping? I'm also looking for some direction on how to adjust the 5th bow so the force down isn't as high. I found some old GM bulletins but they are not coming up with accurate part numbers.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:32 PM
Smoken1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

"I'm also looking for some direction on how to adjust the 5th bow so the force down isn't as high"
Try this thread on the top adjustment, as for the seal call Cutrag and see if it is even available anymore
http://www.c5forum.com/forum/ubbthre...te_id=1#import
Old 09-13-2018, 03:44 PM
JR-01
CF Senior Member

I had the problem about 5 years ago. I picked up some high density, 1/2x1/2 self adhesive foam weatherstrip at Menards. I placed it on the bow right behind the factory weatherstrip. It pushed on the weathersrtip and lifted it just enough so it has not rubbed since. You never know it is there.
The Following User Says Thank You to JR-01 For This Useful Post:
slopoke17 (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 04:23 PM
slopoke17
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JR-01 View Post
I had the problem about 5 years ago. I picked up some high density, 1/2x1/2 self adhesive foam weatherstrip at Menards. I placed it on the bow right behind the factory weatherstrip. It pushed on the weathersrtip and lifted it just enough so it has not rubbed since. You never know it is there.
Thanks, I have some time tonight, maybe run down to Home Depot and see what they have. Can hurt!
Old 09-13-2018, 06:26 PM
JR-01
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by slopoke17 View Post
Thanks, I have some time tonight, maybe run down to Home Depot and see what they have. Can hurt!
It might just work for you. Mine hasn't rubbed or leaked for 5 years now. I think it cost me 5 bucks.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:17 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Location: Williamsport. PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
I believe in the Beer Fairy

@Op, or you saying the tonneau cover does not have a black plastic contact strip for where the convertible top is supposed to rest and seal? Mine had one. If your top is not aligning with that contact strip, sounds to me like the mounting point brackets on each side have been tightened in the wrong position. My convertible top never touched any paint.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:45 PM
slopoke17
CF Senior Member

I have the black strip but maybe it is out of adjustment. The paint is being run bed off beyond the strip, where the roof fabric is overlapped creating a seam or high spot.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:52 PM
JR-01
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
@Op, or you saying the tonneau cover does not have a black plastic contact strip for where the convertible top is supposed to rest and seal? Mine had one. If your top is not aligning with that contact strip, sounds to me like the mounting point brackets on each side have been tightened in the wrong position. My convertible top never touched any paint.
It is a common problem where the fabric of the top would touch the paint, and the factory fix in 2002 or 03 was a thicker, more robust weatherstrip to lift top away from deck. Had nothing to do with top adjustment. If the top was adjusted up and away then it would leak.

Last edited by JR-01; 09-13-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:18 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

It is a common problem where the fabric of the top would touch the paint, and the factory fix in 2002 or 03 was a thicker, more robust weatherstrip to lift top away from deck. Had nothing to do with top adjustment. If the top was adjusted up and away then it would leak.
I'm not talking about moving it up and down. I'm talking about where the top attaches to the car behind the seats, that part there being out of adjustment fore and aft. His obviously is too far back because what he saying and post number 7 is that the top is rubbing the paint behind the black strip where it's supposed to be sitting. In other words the entire top is too far back. unless the hardware is bent somewhere or Lord only knows what else, then it's the three bolts on each side that need loosened, the frame moved forward and the bolts tightened.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:46 PM
JR-01
CF Senior Member

I'm not talking about moving it up and down. I'm talking about where the top attaches to the car behind the seats, that part there being out of adjustment fore and aft. His obviously is too far back because what he saying and post number 7 is that the top is rubbing the paint behind the black strip where it's supposed to be sitting. In other words the entire top is too far back. unless the hardware is bent somewhere or Lord only knows what else, then it's the three bolts on each side that need loosened, the frame moved forward and the bolts tightened.
The rubber weatherstrip should be riding on the black plastic, not the top. The top should not be touching anything. It would eventually wear through if it does.There should be at least a1/8 inch gap between the top and the paint. The common problem according to GM service manuals was that the weatherstrip was too soft and not thick enough. The top would eventually settle onto the paint. The GM fix was a thicker firmer weatherstrip. Messing with the factory adjustment is just opening a can of worms leading to a leaking top and window fitment issues...

Last edited by JR-01; 09-14-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:24 PM
My Vette Life
CF Senior Member

I do not have an issue at all and i do have a 2001. The tunnel itself get no attention with wax for protection.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:06 AM
El original
CF Senior Member

Maybe you have a good body shop in the area and see if they have a fix. I have a '03 vert with no issues.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:20 AM
JR-01
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by El original View Post
Maybe you have a good body shop in the area and see if they have a fix. I have a '03 vert with no issues.
The improved thicker, firmer weatherstrip came out in '02 or '03 so you wouldn't have the problem and not all older verts had the problem either.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:22 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

The rubber weatherstrip should be riding on the black plastic, not the top. The top should not be touching anything. It would eventually wear through if it does.There should be at least a1/8 inch gap between the top and the paint. The common problem according to GM service manuals was that the weatherstrip was too soft and not thick enough. The top would eventually settle onto the paint. The GM fix was a thicker firmer weatherstrip. Messing with the factory adjustment is just opening a can of worms leading to a leaking top and window fitment issues...
Mine was a 98 and I don't recall it having any issue. When I got the car it needed a new top, bad. I bought one and installed it. Maybe those had the newer weatherstrip, idk. All i know is all my contact was on that black strip on the tonneau. Even if my weatherstrip had given up, I don't think it would have touched the paint, but I suppose I could be mistaken.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:34 PM
JR-01
CF Senior Member

Mine was a 98 and I don't recall it having any issue. When I got the car it needed a new top, bad. I bought one and installed it. Maybe those had the newer weatherstrip, idk. All i know is all my contact was on that black strip on the tonneau. Even if my weatherstrip had given up, I don't think it would have touched the paint, but I suppose I could be mistaken.
If the canvas is touching anything, eventually it will wear through. From the factory, the weatherstrip rides on the plastic and the top is just out side the plastic insert with at least a 1/8 " gap from canvas to paint.. I imagine some batches of the weatherstrips were better than others and some cars never had a problem. I went through all this five years ago. From GM the fix for the rubbing top was an improved weatherstrip and it was not cheap.

Some people would adjust the top away from the deck, but that would take the needed pressure off the weatherstrip and leaks would result.

Last edited by JR-01; 09-14-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:16 PM
slopoke17
CF Senior Member

Hey JR-01, I went to HD last night and bought a self-adhered cushioned tape like you mentioned. I think that may have solved my problem as it now has a nice 1/8" gap all between the roof and deck lid. I'll see how this works over time but right now it looks good. A lot cheaper than going out and spending $200 plus on a new seal. Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:19 PM
JR-01
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by slopoke17 View Post
Hey JR-01, I went to HD last night and bought a self-adhered cushioned tape like you mentioned. I think that may have solved my problem as it now has a nice 1/8" gap all between the roof and deck lid. I'll see how this works over time but right now it looks good. A lot cheaper than going out and spending $200 plus on a new seal. Thanks again.
I hope it works for you.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:29 PM
WetMountainMan
CF Senior Member

Last Dec. when I bought my '02 I noticed the bottom seal was ripped and worn badly especially at the corners. I ordered a sheet of 1/4" dense rubber foam from eBay, made a pattern, and cut a new 1-1/2" wide full gasket. I glued it on with Dynatex 49429 Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive from Amazon. It made a great seal and fits well.

Last edited by WetMountainMan; 09-14-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: