Time of year to sell...is it significantly different? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page >

Time of year to sell...is it significantly different?

Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time of year to sell...is it significantly different?

Old 09-19-2018, 01:56 PM
imgn tht
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default Time of year to sell...is it significantly different?

So we all know that Spring is typically a better time to sell a used sports car, perhaps more relevant to the Northern US. I've been attempting to sell my C5 Coupe for a few months now and while I've had a few bites and offers they are really low. Does holding off to the Spring really make that much of a difference? Are we talking difference of a few hundred dollars or thousands?

I'd prefer not to store it another winter, thus putting one of my other cars out in the elements here in Chicago. It's a 2004 auto with just under 29k miles. I was originally hoping for $18k which seemed realistic based on kbb, carfax, and other sites I've used to value it for private party sale in its condition. I'm getting offers at $15k instead. I've since come down to an asking price of $17,800 and still open to offers, but no interest anywhere close. I'm trying not to be the typical owner that thinks their car is worth more than it should be...and comparing to others I see listed for sale in my area I'm priced very favorably for a buyer.

Just frustrated as I want this process to be over, but don't want to give it away. And winter is getting closer everyday...
Old 09-19-2018, 02:14 PM
JR-01
CF Senior Member

Other people don't want to store it for the winter either. Five years ago I bought mine in the fall. The seller put it up for sale in late July for $19K. I offered him $16K the second week of Sept and he sold it to me. It was worth it to me to store it over the winter. You have a good price. Hopefully you find a buyer before the snow flies, but not too many people are looking for a sports car this time of the year..

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 09-19-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:21 PM
BuzC5
CF Senior Member

If you can wait til tax time to post your car up for what you want, that'd be primetime. Weather starts getting nicer for most people and alot of people getting money back, or at least knowing what they do or dont owe.

Im in Georgia and been here all my life but it blows my mind to think that someone would "store their car" all winter.. however it seems to be a real thing

Take that with many grains of salt.. Ive seen snow here less than a handful of times, and rode a sportbike to work all winter 🤷

Last edited by BuzC5; 09-19-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:29 PM
imgn tht
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

So let me throw this out there. Say I sell it for $16k before winter. Does anyone think the same car would get $18k next Spring? Obviously it's worth what someone is willing to pay, but is that the sort of difference a seller should expect between the seasons?
Old 09-19-2018, 02:48 PM
JR-01
CF Senior Member

You could have got $18K+ last spring for sure. Some economists are predicting a recession next year, so it's hard to say what the C5 market will be like next spring.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 09-19-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Naptown

Great thread OP, I've recently been researching for my 1st vette and have wondered the same. Considering there is a static number of C5s for sale, I understand that spring would have more demand (= higher sales prices), and the fall should have less demand (= lower sales prices). With that being said, I would think now would be the time to find a motivated seller. I would also think that with the end of season approaching, less people will continue to list their cars (hoping to hold out for spring).

On a side note, I wonder how much the economy really affects prices. I would think the people buying vettes typically aren't the ones directly affected by a down economy. I'm no economist, FYI...
The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown For This Useful Post:
CorvetteBrent (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 04:05 PM
grantv
CF Senior Member

Default Selling a used car is a PITA

Bottom line is the bottom line; your car is only worth what the (local to you for the most part) market will bear. If no success at $18K, I don't think $17,800 will flood buyers in the door, and yet the right buyer might just come along. Sales sucks. It likely means your price is high, for now at least.
Honestly, sounds a bit high to me, but areas vary and I don't know squat TBH.
Spring will likely get more, but it might not. That's a risk you take. Generally the buyers looking right now are hoping for a deal, particularly in areas where a sports car gets stored in winter.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:07 PM
rrwirsi
CF Senior Member

If anyone bought a C5 for investment purposes, please do not solicit me for your investment advice. This is a fun car and like anything that is bought for fun, enjoy it until you want to sell. IMHO, sell it at a price that is get rid of it reasonable and will allow you to move on to the next fun car.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:15 PM
imgn tht
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by rrwirsi View Post
If anyone bought a C5 for investment purposes, please do not solicit me for your investment advice. This is a fun car and like anything that is bought for fun, enjoy it until you want to sell. IMHO, sell it at a price that is get rid of it reasonable and will allow you to move on to the next fun car.
Not sure if the investment comment was aimed at anyone in particular, but that certainly has ZERO place in my asking. I'm not even looking to move into another fun car from here. I enjoyed this one for the past 6 years and just ready to go back to no toys for now.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:17 PM
imgn tht
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
On a side note, I wonder how much the economy really affects prices. I would think the people buying vettes typically aren't the ones directly affected by a down economy. I'm no economist, FYI...
True, but the decision to buy a fun car and immediately put it into storage affects all income levels the same. You buy it to enjoy. Hate to pay a good penny for something only to not get to use it right away.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Andrew
CF Senior Member

Hang in there, good cars do sell, may take some time. They can sell quicker in the spring, as for price, similar examples in my area can be found for $16 or so, unless it is a z06. If it is auto and 2.73 rear R&P, maybe less.

I do wish you the best and for the sake of other C5 owners, hope you get $18k.

Last edited by Andrew; 09-19-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:48 PM
Tbair64
CF Senior Member

I would say. If your storing at your home and its not costing you anything. You could hold off and see if you get any better offers. If your paying for storage you would have to weigh out the cost of storing it against what the potential sale price could be. If it cost you that same 2k to store sell it now for 16k.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:52 PM
rrwirsi
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by imgn tht View Post
Not sure if the investment comment was aimed at anyone in particular, but that certainly has ZERO place in my asking. I'm not even looking to move into another fun car from here. I enjoyed this one for the past 6 years and just ready to go back to no toys for now.
OK, then just sell it to get rid of it.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:00 PM
imgn tht
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by Tbair64 View Post
I would say. If your storing at your home and its not costing you anything. You could hold off and see if you get any better offers. If your paying for storage you would have to weigh out the cost of storing it against what the potential sale price could be. If it cost you that same 2k to store sell it now for 16k.
Storing at home. Only "cost" is not a financial one, but rather giving up a garage space for my other car.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:27 PM
Not4spd
CF Senior Member

I'll be honest. C5's are getting to the point where people are only going to be willing to pay a premium price for them if they are a Z06 or some form of a collectors vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Not4spd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 05:31 PM
JR-01
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by imgn tht View Post
Storing at home. Only "cost" is not a financial one, but rather giving up a garage space for my other car.
Me too.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:33 PM
JR-01
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Not4spd View Post
I'll be honest. C5's are getting to the point where people are only going to be willing to pay a premium price for them if they are a Z06 or some form of a collectors vehicle.
I think extreme low mileage mint cars are still getting good prices.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:35 PM
Sydwayz
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '18

How are you marketing it?
CL? eBay? CarGurus? AutoTrader? Facebook? CF? Other?
Make sure you are getting to the right audience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sydwayz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 06:18 PM
imgn tht
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by grantv View Post
If no success at $18K, I don't think $17,800 will flood buyers in the door
My point was that $18K was my original bottom line. I'm now asking even less that than. Not that I only made a $200 price adjustment hoping for buyers.

Last edited by imgn tht; 09-19-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:21 PM
imgn tht
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
How are you marketing it?
CL? eBay? CarGurus? AutoTrader? Facebook? CF? Other?
Make sure you are getting to the right audience.
CL, CF, FB Marketplace--both on local groups and specific Corvette Buy-Sell-Trade.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: