Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Costs - Avoid Geico

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:19 AM
mikeam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't move to SC! I used to live in Charlotte, NC moved to SC, Hartford went up $600 a year (for 3 vehicles each has full coverage).

Last edited by mikeam; 09-22-2018 at 09:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (09-24-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:48 AM
rjwvetttt
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
No accidents, no ticket violations. In the past 18 years the only claim I had was a windshield chip of $60. This year I turned age 65 so that was one excuse for the increase based on their statistical data base. Living in SW Florida my zip code was near a hurricane last year, another excuse for Geico's increase. In spite of their ads I got a competitor quote and saved over 20% in fifteen minutes. Aloha to them! (policy includes my 2002 vert and 2017 Ram 1500 Hemi)
I moved to the Sarasota area and my Geico went down $175 a year from living in WI.
I do make it a practice to shop my Insurance every year and also make sure they know I will.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:18 AM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,139 Likes on 1,936 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Arvalo
You guys getting in a lot of accidents or getting a lot of tickets? My rates have never fluctuated more than 10 bucks a year. Nothing that made me even raise a brow.
Same. I've had the same insurance agent for 28 years. Yes, with a major name brand company of insurance.

I tell people all the time, it's not really about the name of the company, it's more about the office you are working with directly.

In 28 years and probably near a half million miles of driving, I've had 6 or so tickets and my insurance has never gone up because of it.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:15 PM
bubba99
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No insurance company insures you. They use your mney to insure themselves. To believe otherwise is foolish.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:27 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by bubba99
No insurance company insures you. They use your mney to insure themselves. To believe otherwise is foolish.
So, if you got into an accident, you would not file a claim, right?

Last edited by FYRARMS; 09-22-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:22 PM
rjwvetttt
Racer

Originally Posted by fyrarms
so, if you got into an accident, you would not file a claim, right?
lol
Old 09-23-2018, 06:06 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Travlee
these are the key words for usaa. they had to have a policy, my father was 27 years military, when i called to get a quote, they told me that he had to have a policy at one time or another for me to get on
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:28 PM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Hagerty for 30 years with different cars . I would never use another company for my performance cars . Made a few claims that were handled fairly and quickly . And they have a cool magazine .
Old 09-23-2018, 10:35 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Arvalo
You guys getting in a lot of accidents or getting a lot of tickets? My rates have never fluctuated more than 10 bucks a year. Nothing that made me even raise a brow.

i have Geico and my rates have only hiked once and that was after I backed my wife’s car into a pole. Woops.
Been with GIECO for about 10 years and never really had any drastic increases. Insuring six vehicles and they're still one of the cheapest I've been able to find, between my wife and me no accidents or tickets in well over 25 years.. Our son turns 16 next year, that day is close enough now that I don't even like thinking about insurance.

Last edited by MikeG37; 09-23-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:36 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Insurance rates like many consumer products, increase their price because of a sh*t full or reasons. Personally, I have insurance cost increased almost each year and so far I have determined they are reasonable based on the market, inflation, and the cars I own. The insurance companies are in the business to make money, not lose it for their shareholders just like all other public owned companies.
Technically, not all insurance companies are in business to make a profit. Some, like State Farm, are "mutual" companies, theoretically a little like a co-op. Others, like Allstate, or for-profit companies.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:40 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
For many of my younger years I was in "Good Hands with Allstate" and was satisfied with their price and service. Prices on both my car and homeowners insurance continued to rise at a modest pace. About the time I turned 50 and joined AARP I found their Hartford Insurance had good coverage for a lot less money so I switched. Fast forward ten years and AARP rates got excessive and Geico did a lot better for me. After a few years with Geico even their rates got stupid in spite of all their TV ads. I think my premium had a big increase just to fund their ad campaign. Earlier this week I contacted AARP for a car insurance quote and was pleasantly surprised.

AARP/Hartford offered better coverage for $584 less/year. Geico only does six month policies so they can jack you up twice a year and they usually do. I got the expected nonsense story as follows:

"This rate change is a result of a statewide increase and is not specific to you or your policy. Due to rising claims costs, this rate increase was necessary to ensure funds are always available to pay for the liability, injuries, and vehicle repairs of our policyholders.

If you feel like you've heard this explanation before, it's because you likely have. We have had to file for similar increases over the past few years for the same reason. But, much like the majority of goods and services lately, costs continue to climb, and all insurance companies must react accordingly. While tenured policyholders cannot be exempted from these statewide increases, we always work diligently to reduce the impact on you as much as possible."

Then they offered me a reduction in rate of $12.80 for six months. I thought they were joking so I fired them and gave them the feedback they deserve. If you are a Geico customer do yourself a favor and get another quote at renewal time or continue to pay for all their annoying FALSE TV ads and big profits. Maybe I'll use the $584. I saved on MODS? (or NOT)
I dumped State Farm and Allstate because they raised my rates by an unreasonable amount every six months. When I switched to Auto Owner's Insurance, my rate fell 60% with identical coverage.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:20 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Route99
If you are active, retired or former military you may want to check with USAA. Their rates are not always the lowest, but they are very competitive and their service is excellent. They are always rated either #1 or #2 on customer satisfaction surveys.
(I believe you are also now eligible if you were not military but have an immediate family member who is or was in the military. Might be worth checking).
I have USAA and I absolutely love them. However, they will not insure a C5 for an agreed upon amount, so I am going to have to go with another company that will. For all of my other vehicles and my home owner's insurance, I use USAA. They seem to have the lowest premiums, and their customer service when a claim is filed is impeccable...

Old 09-24-2018, 08:25 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by msandym
Hagerty for 30 years with different cars . I would never use another company for my performance cars . Made a few claims that were handled fairly and quickly . And they have a cool magazine .
Do they insure for an agreed upon value, and what are their restrictions?
Old 09-25-2018, 03:51 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Anyone?
Old 09-25-2018, 05:19 PM
lane_viper
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

It's called "Price Optimization". They slowly/periodically raise rates to determine the level their customers will bear before leaving. This maximizes their profits.

https://www.npr.org/2015/05/08/40359...r-can-cost-you

Being a loyal customer doesn't pay anymore.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:55 PM
rjwvetttt
Racer

Originally Posted by grampi50
Do they insure for an agreed upon value, and what are their restrictions?
Yes they insure to the agreed upon value. You'll need another vehicle insured with another company.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:46 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Another insurance thread but, I'm not complaining. If there's one common denominator we all share, it's handing over money grudgingly to your carrier. I spent years at USAA dating back to the late '80's, and hands down, no one could come close to the rates they offered. When rival companies called vying for your business and you told them you were with USAA, the conversation ended pretty quick. I left USAA a few years ago, and don't miss it a bit. They jacked up their rates to the point where it's laughable to say they are even competitive anymore. If you shook hands with a service member, you could get probably get insurance with them. As soon as they relaxed their standards and let everyone in, so went the quality of the driver's they insured. I've been with State Farm for a few years now and (knock on wood) have not gotten a shock from rate hikes, like I saw with USAA. 2 Corvettes, S10 ZR-2 , and a Nissan Maxima, and I pay less than $500 for 6 months. Of course being 50, with a lily-white driving record helps to.

USAA- is Ok, not great but, Ok....If your looking for a car loan or credit card with USAA, their rates on those are definitely good
State Farm- I find their customer service and rates to be very competitive. Probably not the best company out there but, YMMV.
Geico-They sure advertise like crazy, and honestly I can't remember any policy holder ever saying anything good/great about them. Someone must like them for something?

Just my .02

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance Costs - Avoid Geico

Old 09-25-2018, 08:28 PM
rjwvetttt
Racer

Originally Posted by C5R USA
Another insurance thread but, I'm not complaining. If there's one common denominator we all share, it's handing over money grudgingly to your carrier. I spent years at USAA dating back to the late '80's, and hands down, no one could come close to the rates they offered. When rival companies called vying for your business and you told them you were with USAA, the conversation ended pretty quick. I left USAA a few years ago, and don't miss it a bit. They jacked up their rates to the point where it's laughable to say they are even competitive anymore. If you shook hands with a service member, you could get probably get insurance with them. As soon as they relaxed their standards and let everyone in, so went the quality of the driver's they insured. I've been with State Farm for a few years now and (knock on wood) have not gotten a shock from rate hikes, like I saw with USAA. 2 Corvettes, S10 ZR-2 , and a Nissan Maxima, and I pay less than $500 for 6 months. Of course being 50, with a lily-white driving record helps to.

USAA- is Ok, not great but, Ok....If your looking for a car loan or credit card with USAA, their rates on those are definitely good
State Farm- I find their customer service and rates to be very competitive. Probably not the best company out there but, YMMV.
Geico-They sure advertise like crazy, and honestly I can't remember any policy holder ever saying anything good/great about them. Someone must like them for something?

Just my .02
I know I do, just not for my Vette.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:40 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by rjwvetttt
I know I do, just not for my Vette.
Glad to hear that, I was wondering where the good reviews were. That's odd about the Vette though. Is it something within Geico that doesn't like insuring Corvettes? Out of all my vehicles I own, the Vettes are the cheapest to insure. Something State Farm indicated to me that they are built safer than a lot of other cars. I'm guessing that plays a big part why the premium is cheaper. Just relaying info that I found out today, as I paid the 6-month renewal fee earlier this afternoon.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:04 PM
rjwvetttt
Racer

State Farm wasn't in the ballpark in prices. They also will not pay for agreed value.
Ripped my cousin off big when his car was totaled.

Quick Reply: Insurance Costs - Avoid Geico